Wiki Posts
Search

Views into LCY

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
Views into LCY

I'm flying DUB-LCY over the summer with the nippers so which side of the plane should I book seats so that they can enjoy views of central London?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Depends if using the easterly runway or not (remember west winds predominate in UK)

If esaterly brilliant views sitting on right hand side (seats DEF)

If Westerly doesn't really matter
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by allturnleft
If esaterly brilliant views sitting on right hand side (seats DEF)

typically on CityFlyer fleet right side would be seats CD. Agree with rest, depends on winds and on approach. That said, with Lcy, usually there will be some good views from both sides at different points.

Also note there was a thread not so long ago (few months) about which side of the plane for all destinations!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nightbus to Dalson
I'm flying DUB-LCY over the summer with the nippers so which side of the plane should I book seats so that they can enjoy views of central London?
I hope you get the approach over London, I really enjoy it, it feels like you are on a scenic tour.
boutela likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Expanding this a little if I may but here is an older thread on best views and obviously it can depend on wind direction at the time. I'm sure there were other recent threads on this but I can't find them meantime however for most airports there are plenty of videos on YouTube.

A guide to the best side of airplane on landing at different airports
rjhcambs and orbitmic like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GGL
Depends where you're coming from on the likelihood of much a view, too? Most of my LCY flights have been from Europe and enter across Essex/Kent. Lots of greenery to see, then Thames Barrier, then you're into LCY really - and in for a steeper descent than the other London airports. You'll be in a 2-2 seating config, so easier for aisle to see out of window a little than it is on a larger plane.

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Jun 19, 2019 at 3:08 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
I don’t know about that, there’s a cracking view of HMP Belmarsh from the AB seats on the westerly final
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I don’t know about that, there’s a cracking view of HMP Belmarsh from the AB seats on the westerly final
Teach the kids a life lesson: if you misbehave you'll end up with lots of aircraft noise!
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
+1 for right hand side. Views of the Shard can be great.
dougzz and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you're flying back out to DUB, then if the departure is to the east then sit on the left because the aircraft will bank at fairly low level (2000-3000 feet) giving you a good view down as it turns north. If it is to the west (as more common) then on the left will still give you a good view down but on the right will give you a better chance to see central London sights when the aircraft isn't banked.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
If you're flying back out to DUB, then if the departure is to the east then sit on the left because the aircraft will bank at fairly low level (2000-3000 feet) giving you a good view down as it turns north. If it is to the west (as more common) then on the left will still give you a good view down but on the right will give you a better chance to see central London sights when the aircraft isn't banked.
A westerly departure to DUB will give a slight glimpse of central London from the left side as the aircraft banks hard right over Poplar and proceeds NNW underneath the LHR traffic. Unless the departure path has dramatically changed recently I can’t see how you can see Central London at all from the right side?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Row9
+1 for right hand side. Views of the Shard can be great.
Most of my landings at City have been over the prison, including a quite lively one in a rain storm.
However the one where it felt the driver had pulled a handbrake turn round the Shard is probably my favourite one to date!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
A westerly departure to DUB will give a slight glimpse of central London from the left side as the aircraft banks hard right over Poplar and proceeds NNW underneath the LHR traffic. Unless the departure path has dramatically changed recently I can’t see how you can see Central London at all from the right side?
This is the westerly departure on BA1 which follows the same path as a BACF departure to DUB. This is from the left side so you can see central London - from the right side you would have to enjoy Stratford instead!

Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp

Most of my landings at City have been over the prison, including a quite lively one in a rain storm.
However the one where it felt the driver had pulled a handbrake turn round the Shard is probably my favourite one to date!
We did this on an approach early evening in January coming down from EDI. Was a misty/foggy sort of night. As we dropped through the low clouds all of a sudden the top of the Shard appeared on the right and the whole cabin went "ooooohhh!" You almost felt like you could look in the windows. Very cool - top five landing for me, especially as I chose to sit on the right!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Yep that’s my favourite too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.