FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Steam from air con? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1974212-steam-air-con.html)

Lewis King Jun 16, 2019 5:30 am

Steam from air con?

About to depart from Split and the plane is actually steaming from the top of the baggage racks/above the windows. Never seen this before. I think it’s the aircon... but can’t be sure? Anyone know what it is? Cabin crew don’t seem too fussed 😂

cvm0093 Jun 16, 2019 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Lewis King (Post 31207653)
About to depart from Split and the plane is actually steaming from the top of the baggage racks/above the windows. Never seen this before. I think it’s the aircon... but can’t be sure? Anyone know what it is? Cabin crew don’t seem too fussed 😂

Ahh seems like you have a mini weather system in the cabin! Nothing to worry about, it's condensation from the Air Conditioning. The hot air mixed with the cool air makes the steam you see. At least you don't have a waterfall on your head..... yet! :D

Cap'n Benj Jun 16, 2019 5:33 am

Its a pretty regular occurrence, just simple condensing of the cooler air with hotter humid air

Lewis King Jun 16, 2019 5:36 am

Haha cool I wasn’t worried, just funny to see! Never had that before!

scottishpoet Jun 16, 2019 5:36 am

happens quite often, nothing to worry about, but yes can be a bit disconcerting if you have not seen it before

rossmacd Jun 16, 2019 6:01 am

Happens pretty much on every flight in South East Asia. Very normal occurrence.

MNMAA Jun 16, 2019 6:04 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 31207717)
Happens pretty much on every flight in South East Asia. Very normal occurrence.

Yep, Caribbean too. As mentioned above, you see it in hot and humid locations.

LTN Phobia Jun 16, 2019 6:12 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 31207665)
happens quite often, nothing to worry about, but yes can be a bit disconcerting if you have not seen it before

Most disconcerting is when you are on the lower deck and the upper deck loo is nearly above you and drips come down :D

Even when you know it's just the air conditioning condensation, you cannot but help having a bit of a sniff to make sure...

abligh Jun 16, 2019 8:26 am

Pedant-mode: it's unlikely to be steam (water in gaseous form - at sea-level pressures at 100 degrees C plus); it's more likely to be water vapour (tiny droplets of liquid water suspended in the air which allow you to see steam is present, as well as being water clouds, fog etc. is made of). Steam itself cannot be seen.

Dubh Jun 16, 2019 8:31 am

If you are traveling with someone else it's an opportunity to film an 80s rock video intro. Upper deck lends itself quite well to this.

nufnuf77 Jun 16, 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Dubh (Post 31208064)
If you are traveling with someone else it's an opportunity to film an 80s rock video intro. Upper deck lends itself quite well to this.

I can just imagine @KARFA being filmed coming down the isle to the tunes of: The Final Countdown

Randyk47 Jun 16, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Lewis King (Post 31207653)

Pretty common here in San Antonio during the hot humid summer months. Nothing but condensation and not steam.

KARFA Jun 16, 2019 8:49 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 31208075)
I can just imagine @KARFA being filmed coming down the isle to the tunes of: The Final Countdown

may try that next time!

fruitcage Jun 16, 2019 9:39 am

Originally Posted by abligh (Post 31208054)
Pedant-mode: it's unlikely to be steam (water in gaseous form - at sea-level pressures at 100 degrees C plus); it's more likely to be water vapour (tiny droplets of liquid water suspended in the air which allow you to see steam is present, as well as being water clouds, fog etc. is made of). Steam itself cannot be seen.

As a piece of meta-pedantry, water vapour is the same thing as steam, and is invisible. What can be seen is indeed the water droplets, but is certainly not water vapour.

MADPhil Jun 16, 2019 9:49 am

I was once at the gate on a flight when smoke started to come out of the vents and there was a smell of burning. Eventually someone went up to the galley to ask about it and a CC member came out from behind a wet towel long enough to tell him that it was just de-icing fluid getting into the heaters and nothing to worry about. Cloud formation in summer is much more common.