Steam from air con?

Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Steam from air con?

About to depart from Split and the plane is actually steaming from the top of the baggage racks/above the windows. Never seen this before. I think its the aircon... but cant be sure? Anyone know what it is? Cabin crew dont seem too fussed 😂
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
Originally Posted by Lewis King
About to depart from Split and the plane is actually steaming from the top of the baggage racks/above the windows. Never seen this before. I think its the aircon... but cant be sure? Anyone know what it is? Cabin crew dont seem too fussed 😂
Ahh seems like you have a mini weather system in the cabin! Nothing to worry about, it's condensation from the Air Conditioning. The hot air mixed with the cool air makes the steam you see. At least you don't have a waterfall on your head..... yet!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Its a pretty regular occurrence, just simple condensing of the cooler air with hotter humid air
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Haha cool I wasnt worried, just funny to see! Never had that before!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
happens quite often, nothing to worry about, but yes can be a bit disconcerting if you have not seen it before
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:01 am

Happens pretty much on every flight in South East Asia. Very normal occurrence.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Happens pretty much on every flight in South East Asia. Very normal occurrence.
Yep, Caribbean too. As mentioned above, you see it in hot and humid locations.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
happens quite often, nothing to worry about, but yes can be a bit disconcerting if you have not seen it before
Most disconcerting is when you are on the lower deck and the upper deck loo is nearly above you and drips come down

Even when you know it's just the air conditioning condensation, you cannot but help having a bit of a sniff to make sure...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Pedant-mode: it's unlikely to be steam (water in gaseous form - at sea-level pressures at 100 degrees C plus); it's more likely to be water vapour (tiny droplets of liquid water suspended in the air which allow you to see steam is present, as well as being water clouds, fog etc. is made of). Steam itself cannot be seen.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:31 am

If you are traveling with someone else it's an opportunity to film an 80s rock video intro. Upper deck lends itself quite well to this.
Lewis King and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Dubh
If you are traveling with someone else it's an opportunity to film an 80s rock video intro. Upper deck lends itself quite well to this.
I can just imagine @KARFA being filmed coming down the isle to the tunes of: The Final Countdown
KARFA, golfmad, Thysk and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Lewis King
Pretty common here in San Antonio during the hot humid summer months. Nothing but condensation and not steam.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I can just imagine @KARFA being filmed coming down the isle to the tunes of: The Final Countdown
may try that next time!
IAMORGAN, golfmad, tynmar and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by abligh
Pedant-mode: it's unlikely to be steam (water in gaseous form - at sea-level pressures at 100 degrees C plus); it's more likely to be water vapour (tiny droplets of liquid water suspended in the air which allow you to see steam is present, as well as being water clouds, fog etc. is made of). Steam itself cannot be seen.
As a piece of meta-pedantry, water vapour is the same thing as steam, and is invisible. What can be seen is indeed the water droplets, but is certainly not water vapour.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I was once at the gate on a flight when smoke started to come out of the vents and there was a smell of burning. Eventually someone went up to the galley to ask about it and a CC member came out from behind a wet towel long enough to tell him that it was just de-icing fluid getting into the heaters and nothing to worry about. Cloud formation in summer is much more common.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.