Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Differences between Business and First class that you value

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Differences between Business and First class that you value

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes - they're all in one booklet.
Thank you! I guess I did not believe the advertising slogan translated into exactly what the english words meant .

You can also dine on demand even if you're unsure whether or when you'll want to eat.
Clever! You have expanded the program to "Dine on Conditional Event" ^.

I'll usually tell the crew that I'm going to go to bed straight away or nearly straight away, and ask whether it's OK to have some dinner in the middle of the night if I'm awake and I feel like something then. I will usually ask them not to save anything specially for me, because I don't know whether or not I will want a 3 am dinner and I wouldn't want to deprive someone else of something that they are awake for and do want - but I've not yet had a problem with this as there's always been something decent to eat if I've woken up early and decided to eat then.
That is exceptionally considerate of you.

Although I can go for > 12 hrs without eating when I'm in a good "work flow" at home comfortably sustained by water or my favorite toasted rice green tea made as iced tea .
fave fave
https://www.rishi-tea.com/product/583/kagoshima-japan?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxYLoBRCxARIsAEf16-tFmH6J5H1PbXKAYePCmpjNsWOmvo-RZB3GZVVBGowyoGCntb6PzBsaAtZHEALw_wcB
green tea
(Genmaicha),

for some reason when I fly, sitting there doing nothing makes me hungry. On a work trip in March on the return flight with United - coach from Hong Kong to San Francisco - the food after breakfast was inedible, whereas the outbound was OK. I survived for 14 hours on 2 new-to-me delicious fruits I discovered in the Hong Kong Ocean City mall "City Super" supermarket:
pomelo pomelo
citrus, the most amazing white japanese strawberries

white japanese strawberries

($30ish for 9), and a food bar in my purse, yet my tummy was still growling.

I do like your "Dine on Conditional Event" approach, but I would definitely request the save

edit: my links look fine in edit mode but messed up above. Sorry about that...

Last edited by MareLuce; Jun 12, 2019 at 3:35 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:43 am

I haven't read the whole thread but as I hold top tier status with another airline (ie. not BA) the free seat selection included with First is a big attraction for me. I would much rather put the £800 I would spend on seat selection fees for my family towards bigger seats, a better lounge and a smaller cabin. All these things combined with the additional Avios earned for flying First helps to offset the cost but of course YMMV.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by jp-mco
I haven't read the whole thread but as I hold top tier status with another airline (ie. not BA) the free seat selection included with First is a big attraction for me. I would much rather put the £800 I would spend on seat selection fees for my family towards bigger seats, a better lounge and a smaller cabin.
I mean, seat selection fees max out at like what, GBP 90 or something per person and long-haul flight?

Assuming the reservation costs like GBP 60 on average, that's a drop in the bucket compared to the usual price premium of F.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:12 am
Original Poster

To be clear, if I travel in Business class on BA, I need to pay a fee to select my seats?
_kurt and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I value having anything I want from the menu at any time I want it. I value drinking anything off the menu, served at the correct temperature, and without it running out. This is why I fly QR J wherever possible.
UAuhoh likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by MareLuce
To be clear, if I travel in Business class on BA, I need to pay a fee to select my seats?
Only if you want a seat before olci opens and don’t have status, or have booked through certain agencies, or on not a full fare J ticket.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MareLuce
Not necessarily. The main categories of passengers who are entitled to free seat pre-allocation from the time of booking are BA Golds and Silvers, oneworld Emeralds and Sapphires, and those whose booking for that sector is in J or C booking class. BA Bronzes and oneworld Rubies have free seat pre-allocation from 7 days before the scheduled departure time of the flight (exactly, to the second). Almost everyone else will have to pay to pre-allocate. But seat choice is free for everyone when online check-in opens. Some more details here: BA Seating Policy Guide.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by lipsum
I mean, seat selection fees max out at like what, GBP 90 or something per person and long-haul flight?

Assuming the reservation costs like GBP 60 on average, that's a drop in the bucket compared to the usual price premium of F.
Well that flies in the face of the £98 each way that I recently paid for 4 people on a CW flight. That's close to £800. If you book far enough in advance I've often found that F can come close to CW in terms of pricing. Take for example, 4 May next year to Atlanta - it's £1609 in CW or £1809 in F. As a seat reservation would cost me £100 in CW and F is only £200 more I know which seems better value to me!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by abligh
I think on a 747 this depends on UD or non-UD J. UD-J (particularly in the window seats) is pretty much as good to sleep in as F (in some ways better). As that's pretty much all I do TATL US->UK, and as I get CCR access anyway, I don't see a lot of advantages of F. But with no UD, or where you are actually awake and eating, F is a bit better. Not hugely, but a bit.

One advantage of F not described so far: when your flight gets cancelled / connections get missed, I'm pretty sure for any given CIV/status, F pax will be rerouted with higher priority than J pax.
I wish this worked with BA, but the one time I did arrive at LHR off a delayed flight in F (A380, to make matters worse), there was chaos and lines after getting off the aircraft, only to find out that they did not have my new boarding pass. A proper airline would have someone waiting outside 1L assisting F passengers with connections!

Originally Posted by alex67500
Well on the 747 when they hold back WTP until all of F is out, I feel a little embarrassed. Same when boarding early on the 777s when everyone walks past ; the looks you get are very much in the WDYTYA vein.
I wish they did that consistently. One of the things I value, that hasn't been mentioned so far, is getting off the plane before everyone else. It often makes a huge difference to the amount of time you spend at immigration. BA on the other hand just let everyone out at once, instead of giving F pax a head start.
MareLuce and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Well that flies in the face of the £98 each way that I recently paid for 4 people on a CW flight. That's close to £800. If you book far enough in advance I've often found that F can come close to CW in terms of pricing. Take for example, 4 May next year to Atlanta - it's £1609 in CW or £1809 in F. As a seat reservation would cost me £100 in CW and F is only £200 more I know which seems better value to me!
Yep that's what I try and do as well as it helps maintain Silver. Sadly last year owing to a new job I didn't fly much last so I've dropped to Bronze.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by ung1
I wish they did that consistently. One of the things I value, that hasn't been mentioned so far, is getting off the plane before everyone else. It often makes a huge difference to the amount of time you spend at immigration. BA on the other hand just let everyone out at once, instead of giving F pax a head start.
In my short experience (3 F flights), BA do hold everyone else until F passengers are off the plane.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I don't care about fancy food or wine.
i just like more room in F and a teeny bit of... look at me I'm so important!
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
I like the PJ's..still use them when traveling , and of course my wife took my last pair.. and uses them along with the ones from Cathy
I'm not one to judge, but is your wife comfortable with you sharing the pyjamas of another woman?
Jimmie76, _kurt, MareLuce and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I assume you're excluding the upper deck window seats on the 747.
Well, given that the UpperDeck CW seats account for a significant minority (<2%) of all the BA CW seats flying on a given day, yes - I am excluding them. Whereas the significant majority of F seats flying on a given day (>90%) do have a decent sized surface.
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by alex67500
In my short experience (3 F flights), BA do hold everyone else until F passengers are off the plane.
Not on the 747s I flew with.
Its impossible to hold the pax off as they would have to tell wtp to not get up.. 😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.