FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Dreaded “we can’t check you in online” (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1973084-dreaded-we-can-t-check-you-online.html)

blitzen Jun 7, 2019 5:34 pm

Dreaded “we can’t check you in online”

Hi,

2 US citizens and 1 German (green card) are flying first class NYC-London-Germany and none of us could check in online .... normally SSS but for 3 out of 3 ? And all are TSA Precheck / Global entry .
i find that. Dry weird...

Deltus Jun 7, 2019 5:50 pm

Dreaded? I quite like it when I can check in online...

Edit: well since you've corrected the title of this thread, you've ruined my joke now... :(

Repooc17 Jun 7, 2019 6:08 pm

Sometimes doc check. That has been the case for me for the last half a dozen trips - US passport.

Also, class of service has no bearing on whether you can check in online or not.

jrc999 Jun 7, 2019 6:20 pm

Or when BA haven’t bothered to charge your credit card a Reward change fee,
don’t reissue the ticket and don’t bother to tell you...

BA6501 Jun 7, 2019 6:58 pm

SSSS would normally allow you to check-in, but not to issue a boarding pass.

PETER01 Jun 7, 2019 7:01 pm

@blitzen

See this thread for potential reasons why you can't check in online as yet.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ficulties.html

UKtravelbear Jun 7, 2019 7:48 pm

having GE does not exempt you from SSSS

And SSSS is nothing to do with BA it's a CBP decision

Mats Jun 7, 2019 9:38 pm

Not usually an SSSS when departing the United States. That's much more common on the way to the USA.
I've had it happen or a passport check, and even one time for "credit card verification."

TTmex Jun 7, 2019 9:43 pm

I regularly have trouble checking in for any flight USA related and only had SSSS once. Often is just a doc check. If you're worried, just arrive early and leave time for any (potential extra) checks.

jerub Jun 8, 2019 12:39 am

SSSS is effectively super-priority boarding. It's not to be dreaded. You get to board with or before first class passengers if you turn up to the gate and show your bp to gate staff before boarding is called.

abligh Jun 8, 2019 3:13 am

Originally Posted by jerub (Post 31181939)
SSSS is effectively super-priority boarding. It's not to be dreaded. You get to board with or before first class passengers if you turn up to the gate and show your bp to gate staff before boarding is called.

Not if you are already Group 1 :-)

South London Bon Viveur Jun 8, 2019 3:27 am

Coming to LHR soon: "First we would like to invite our SSSS passengers to board the aircraft"

For those that have experienced it, is it just additional bag checking before boarding, or do you also feel the effects upon arrival in the US?

BobServant Jun 8, 2019 4:20 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur (Post 31182146)
Coming to LHR soon: "First we would like to invite our SSSS passengers to board the aircraft"

For those that have experienced it, is it just additional bag checking before boarding, or do you also feel the effects upon arrival in the US?

Just an additional pre-departure check AFAIK, we have had it a couple of times and makes no difference at US customs and immigration.

TheChangingMan Jun 8, 2019 5:08 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur (Post 31182146)

Additional check before boarding, first onto the aircraft and no problem using GE on arrival at JFK (or might have been ORD, can't remember and not relevant).

Nothing to worry about at all.

blitzen Jun 8, 2019 5:38 am

No worries was just surprised by 3 out of 3

This morning I could check us in, but the BP had a big red remark on itYour passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport

We are required by certain countries to check your travel documents before you fly. Please see a British Airways representative at the airport.

Passport and visa information

So the problem is the Passport .... hmmm weird. Oh well no line at first check in at JFK I hope.

And somehow my Boarding Pass in the App looks normal without any "we have to check" remarks on it.