Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dreaded “we can’t check you in online”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Hi,

2 US citizens and 1 German (green card) are flying first class NYC-London-Germany and none of us could check in online .... normally SSS but for 3 out of 3 ? And all are TSA Precheck / Global entry .
i find that. Dry weird...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Dreaded? I quite like it when I can check in online...

Edit: well since you've corrected the title of this thread, you've ruined my joke now...
TTmex, towns, nancypants and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Sometimes doc check. That has been the case for me for the last half a dozen trips - US passport.

Also, class of service has no bearing on whether you can check in online or not.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
Or when BA haven’t bothered to charge your credit card a Reward change fee,
don’t reissue the ticket and don’t bother to tell you...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
SSSS would normally allow you to check-in, but not to issue a boarding pass.
orbitmic and abligh like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

@blitzen

See this thread for potential reasons why you can't check in online as yet.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ficulties.html
orbitmic and brunos like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
having GE does not exempt you from SSSS

And SSSS is nothing to do with BA it's a CBP decision
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:38 pm

Not usually an SSSS when departing the United States. That's much more common on the way to the USA.
I've had it happen or a passport check, and even one time for "credit card verification."
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I regularly have trouble checking in for any flight USA related and only had SSSS once. Often is just a doc check. If you're worried, just arrive early and leave time for any (potential extra) checks.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
SSSS is effectively super-priority boarding. It's not to be dreaded. You get to board with or before first class passengers if you turn up to the gate and show your bp to gate staff before boarding is called.
nancypants and pennineuk like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by jerub
SSSS is effectively super-priority boarding. It's not to be dreaded. You get to board with or before first class passengers if you turn up to the gate and show your bp to gate staff before boarding is called.
Not if you are already Group 1 :-)
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Coming to LHR soon: "First we would like to invite our SSSS passengers to board the aircraft"

For those that have experienced it, is it just additional bag checking before boarding, or do you also feel the effects upon arrival in the US?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Coming to LHR soon: "First we would like to invite our SSSS passengers to board the aircraft"

For those that have experienced it, is it just additional bag checking before boarding, or do you also feel the effects upon arrival in the US?
Just an additional pre-departure check AFAIK, we have had it a couple of times and makes no difference at US customs and immigration.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur

Additional check before boarding, first onto the aircraft and no problem using GE on arrival at JFK (or might have been ORD, can't remember and not relevant).

Nothing to worry about at all.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
No worries was just surprised by 3 out of 3

This morning I could check us in, but the BP had a big red remark on itYour passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport

We are required by certain countries to check your travel documents before you fly. Please see a British Airways representative at the airport.

Passport and visa information

So the problem is the Passport .... hmmm weird. Oh well no line at first check in at JFK I hope.

And somehow my Boarding Pass in the App looks normal without any "we have to check" remarks on it.

Last edited by blitzen; Jun 8, 2019 at 6:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.