Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 hours in Y on 788. Avoid at all costs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by pacenotes
Just to counter and balance I did 12 hours to Kula Lumper in a 787 in the last row in the twin seats and it was ok.

The flight was packed but I could spread out into the space between the window.

If that seat wasn't free on a 787 I wouldn't fly it.

It could be worse an airline in France is flying it 10 across!!!
Did NRT-LHR yesterday in the back pair seats, first time on a 787, I was dreading it but was actually quite impressed all things considered. Was with the other half and on leisure - so might be a bit cosy with a stranger. Passenger in front didn't recline which probably helped. Toilet is audible though.

Off to YUL on Sunday for work (yes in Y - sigh...) - again on the 787 and have taken a seat futher forward but I'm tempted to switch back to one of the pairs depending on how busy it starts to look, although I'm hoping some UUA availablity in WT+ pops up (have checked and I'm on a K ticket - which should be upgradable) and according to EF it's not too packed, so fingers' crossed...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by wb1969
Slightly off topic but I may have found a solution. I did a very quick search on Google flights and QR have got some great fares exEU to JNB, albeit in Y, for a shade over £400 which is amazing for peak season. BA want £1000.

Going to sound like a real skinflint but there are so many experts on FT that know all the tricks, if anyone can get it below £400, please share your findings. ExCDG is the best I’ve found so far.

The dates are 1/1 to 10/1.
561USD MXP-JNB in QR via Kayak.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:09 am

Is it pleasant? No.
Is normal economy on a 12hr overnight flight on any carrier "pleasant"? Also no.
It will be ~12hrs uncomfortable, pretty sleepless hours either way. So I wouldn't go to far out of the way to avoid it.

Booking an ex-EU in the depths of winter, on New Years Day when the available of other ground transport will also be weaker, is more of a risk than I would personally be comfortable with. Especially as a hotel room in Paris on 31/12 will demolish your savings.

If the location in your profile is correct then I would have a look at Qatar's prices out of BHX for your dates. Much less than the BA flights but without the risks of the ExEU.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by greenarmy
Is it pleasant? No.
Is normal economy on a 12hr overnight flight on any carrier "pleasant"? Also no.
It will be ~12hrs uncomfortable, pretty sleepless hours either way. So I wouldn't go to far out of the way to avoid it.

Booking an ex-EU in the depths of winter, on New Years Day when the available of other ground transport will also be weaker, is more of a risk than I would personally be comfortable with. Especially as a hotel room in Paris on 31/12 will demolish your savings.

If the location in your profile is correct then I would have a look at Qatar's prices out of BHX for your dates. Much less than the BA flights but without the risks of the ExEU.
Fair points, but QR out of BHX is on the 787. Preferred cash fare exCDG is mid afternoon departure so plenty of same day positioning flight options exLHR on BA.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greenarmy
Is it pleasant? No.
Is normal economy on a 12hr overnight flight on any carrier "pleasant"? Also no.....
You aren't comparing like with like. I’ve had pleasant long flights in normal economy on B744s operated by AN, BA, TG, QF. A330s operated by AC, TP. Not as terrible as B787 is possible.

On the longer B787-10, B77W and if the A380 is densified, there is an opportunity for MCE with 18” wide seat, 32” pitch and a welcome thimble of soft drink, for an extra cost.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:40 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I once flew LHR-YUL on a BA787 in Y: dreadful it was although a short 7h flight, most horrible seating for the last 1000 flights.....Y
Some Super DC8 FRA-JFK I flew 40 years ago might have been worse?
Dreamliner my ..., typical American praising of their crappy products.
On the return luckily got upgraded to Y+, that was bearable.
Other 787 I flew was J on QR, marvelous.
My next long hauls are on A330/300, most in J, one return in Y, all 2-4-2 config, window seat, Y will be fine.
Never had the chance to fly A350 so far....
j
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
That's interesting. I drop status tomorrow and it's the one Gold perk that I thought I would miss. Has this changed recently - anyone know?
I believe they are available to anyone for a fee, but golds can select long haul exit rows for free.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Returning to LHR from BWI recently on a 787, I stretched my legs and took a wander to the back of the plane from my WT+ seat.... the faces of the Y passengers could have been used to illustrate the poor unfortunate souls trapped in Dante's 9 circles of hell.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:15 pm

There used to be a time when the 787-8 seats were indeed marginally narrower than the 787-9's, but now I believe this has been rectified (certainly on the newer tails). I say that because the seat have the same "asset number" whilst, for instance, the all-white Club seat on a 77W isn't the same as a grey-and-white seat on a 787.

Having said that, the 787 seat isn't in itself a pleasant experience. I've now flown Y on 787s on BA, both 788 and 789, LATAM and JAL. JAL is of course the shining light with its 2-4-2 arrangement. BA and LATAM were pretty similar, i.e. not great. In all honesty it's a matter of perception; I didn't mind neither flight. My worst flights in terms of crampedness, if that's a word, were on Emirates (10-abreast 77W) and Uzbekistan Airways with their 767 that can carry almost 300 people.

Having said that I remember what my uncle, who'd been deported to a work camp in Poland, once told me: "At least you didn't spend 3 days standing in a freight car together with a hundred other people". He had a habit of putting even my crappiest flight into perspective.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:34 pm

If you're tall but fit in the Exit Row seats (I'm not perfectly thin myself, but comfortably fit in bulkhead/exit row seats) and can get them for free, then I'd take them over any regular Y seat even on a slightly "better" airline where I couldn't get a Exit row seat guaranteed (or would have to pay a massive surcharge for it)

I do agree with some of the posters that two shorter flights might be more enjoyable than a single longer one (say, BA LHR-SIN vs EK LHR-DXB-SIN) when it's more or less no detour, but I'd probably not feeling fancy to fly a massive detour unless I really need the miles or the price would be very tempting. In Y, it is, of course!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
I flew 787 on KLM and was utterly disappointed by the tightness of the seats! I pretty much don't care if you got lower altitude pressure if the seating is unpleasant. I'm 6'4 so not the smallest of travellers and the reduction of seat pitch to 31 is a joke.

I heard that JAL is so much better. Now the thing is they might not fly from where you are. So might be needed to suck it up and take the flight. You want to go home and don't spend too much time flying because of 1 inch or so

Sorry haven't read all the other posts....
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
Having said that I remember what my uncle, who'd been deported to a work camp in Poland, once told me: "At least you didn't spend 3 days standing in a freight car together with a hundred other people". He had a habit of putting even my crappiest flight into perspective.
This is key: it's all about perspective. A few months ago I spent 4.5 hours on a public bus in China with a rucksack on my lap and a sack of live chickens fidgeting on the floor next to me. By the end of that journey, I hadn't eaten or used a toilet for over 9 hours.

A Y seat for 12 hours with IFE, food and drink and ready access to a toilet feels like positive luxury after that... Obviously not comparable to being deported to a work camp, but that's my go-to recent memory whenever I'm feeling uncomfortable on a plane...
HIDDY, Sealink and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I've flown a 12h 789 in Y. I am 6'3".

​​​​​​I don't like the IFE boxes being under the seat in front of me. I like to stretch my legs out into that space and I don't like them pressing against the occlusion.

That's the only difference i could detect between that seat and other BA Y seating. I got a good night's sleep, as much as is possible in any Y seat.

​​​

​​​​
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969
Is the 788 really so bad that it should be avoided at all cost?
Y for any length should be avoided at all cost.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I'd consider it for a US East coast flight (certainly outbound) but anything super long haul I would avoid at almost any cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.