Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 hours in Y on 788. Avoid at all costs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by wb1969
AFAIK exit row seats on long haul are open to all. They certainly are on the flight I’m looking at.
That's interesting. I drop status tomorrow and it's the one Gold perk that I thought I would miss. Has this changed recently - anyone know?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pacenotes
...It could be worse an airline in France is flying it 10 across!!!
10 across on the B787 is not possible. Are you thinking of Air Caraibes A350 which is 10 across?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:07 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I recently did 7 hours to PIT in a 788 exit row seat on one of the £200 return fares, with a blocked window seat both ways (enabling MrsNWI to move to the A seat and free up the middle) - and I'd have to say that made a massive amount of difference. Without it there would certainly have been something of a fight for space, and given my wife has very sharp elbows I didn't fancy my chances!

The non-exit row seats looked particularly tight on legroom and for width, and definitely best avoided.

From DUR - ouch ...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:11 am

I've only been on a 787 once so far, LHR-SJC in 2016, and had a window seat in Y - that was the marginally wider 787-9. I'm not especially wide or tall, though I guess I've got broad shoulders, but I do get lower back pain/cramps.

I found that the narrowness of the seat, combined with someone next to me, meant I was sitting with my torso slightly twisted to allow room for my shoulders. In turn, over the course of the 10 hour flight, this caused me pain which took a couple of days to dissipate. This is despite the fact that I was able to get up and move around on numerous occasions as it is a day flight.

As others have said, perhaps with a seat free next to you it would be a lot better. Though the under-seat entertainment boxes also definitely impinge leg/stretching out room.

On my return I took the A380 from SFO (top deck) and that was fine in Y. I would definitely try to avoid a 787 in Y overnight, where the inability to get up and walk around would probably result in quite nasty cramps for me.

Originally Posted by pacenotes
It could be worse an airline in France is flying it 10 across!!!
That sounds truly dreadful.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:27 am

Try to get row 21 on 788. Narrower seats, but I had enough legroom (6'2").
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
The view on this seems to be pretty unanimous and I agree wholeheartedly with it. From my perspective, Y on a BA (and indeed any) 788 is to be avoided at all costs, though I've yet to experience Y on a 789 but don't plan on taking my chances. If you're not sat in an exit row, you're pretty much trapped in your seat when the person in front of you reclines. I flew back from Seoul on a full flight, and the experience of eating, working on a laptop, and even sitting back to enjoy a movie were all impacted negatively. It is claustrophobic and deeply uncomfortable. I intend to go out of my way to avoid all 787s in Y, and that includes flying indirectly to avoid subjecting myself to such a miserable experience again.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:08 am

If you don't plan on sleeping or working, it's totally fine.. if you are used to flying Y on shorter trips.
If you're already "spoiled" by plus or biz class it will be worse.
I did 787 DFW to Seoul and back last year. + on the way up, regular on the way back. Sat and watched movies on my phone and I was fine. Even got in a nap or two but I almost never spring for +
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The legroom is ok. It's the shoulder room and bum room that's the issue - i.e. the width of the seat.

If you wear anything bigger than a size M t-shirt, forget it.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
At this case, you may want to use your Avios to fly QR business. May detour via the Middle East, but it's a way more comfy journey.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
I wholeheartedly agree with the consensus here: avoid Y in any B787 model where you can. It is pretty miserable.

If things conspire against you and it is your only option, and you can secure an exit row, avoid seats 30A/K. The fuselage tapers our to meet the door, and your at the slide housing on the door, reducing both knee and ‘leg-stretch’ room. I’d advise going for C/D/F/H
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Slightly off topic but I may have found a solution. I did a very quick search on Google flights and QR have got some great fares exEU to JNB, albeit in Y, for a shade over £400 which is amazing for peak season. BA want £1000.

Going to sound like a real skinflint but there are so many experts on FT that know all the tricks, if anyone can get it below £400, please share your findings. ExCDG is the best I’ve found so far.

The dates are 1/1 to 10/1.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Unfortunately 787s are a staple of the LHR-BWI-LHR route (and even the 789's seems to have slipped out of that now - not that it matters in Y). Yes, Y is aweful, and I now avoid at all possible cost - either by WT+ or adding another 3 hours round trip and driving over to IAD.

Occasionally needs must.... If travelling with my OH I usually take the middle seat and she gets the window: if you can get a spare seat next to you, then it's acceptable. On my last Y trip thankfully a few passengers didn't board and after much shuffling around we got a spare seat - the CSM (or whoever) was most relieved when he came around for the greeting... (as were we!).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:50 am

I avoid it like the plague. In fact I believe the Y seat on this aircraft is bordering on inhumane for a long haul. And I am 5’10” and 150 pounds.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wb1969
BA want £1000.
It's £930 if you go via JNB both ways, you get an A380 and you're in N, which can be UuA, plus a good chance of an involuntary upgrade if you are Silver or higher. Or around £625 from Oslo on BA if you can go the day before 31 December and return on the 12 January, at least one leg can be A380, maybe both.
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I will willingly fly long haul economy if it has a 2x???x2 configuration and only then if it's a day flight.
PAL62V likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.