Wiki Posts
Search

46kg of carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
46kg of carry on?

Just received the following email from BA outlining the limits of what I can take on board tomorrow (short haul CE):

We look forward to welcoming you on board your flight with British Airways tomorrow and would like to remind you that you may carry on 1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in plus 1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in).

Now I will probably manage with the 46kg allowance - but is this new? I thought BA didn't state a weight limit on cabin bags?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Not new, at a guess it's been like this for 15 years, but unless you are a gold bullion dealer it is effectively without limit, so long as you can drag into the overheads. No-one checks this because it is infeasibly high.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not new, at a guess it's been like this for 15 years, but unless you are a gold bullion dealer it is effectively without limit, so long as you can drag into the overheads. No-one checks this because it is infeasibly high.
Can‘t believe I never noticed this before...
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:26 am

23kg within the confines of the first item dimensions is likely to involve a lot of lead!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have heard mention of folks carry a lot of books. I guess uni students might be the prime users of the weight limit.

For the younger ones here, books are papery things bound together and used for reading
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:37 am

Mr W has travelled with lots of books in his hand luggage before. It's a nightmare for security as the scanners seem to struggle with the density of a pile of books, so everything goes to secondary every time.

Like many other habits he brought with him, I have helped him take a more security friendly approach!
T8191 and MiraculousM like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
This policy is very helpful - it means I don't have to fly on any airlines with a 5kg hand baggage weight limit.

(Because it means I have to check a bag which ups the cost...)
EuropeanPete and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Slightly off topic: The subject of gold and air travel reminds me of this story of a Nobel Prize winner travelling with his Nobel Prize coin through a small airport in the US

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...port-security/
JayeJ, so3003, fairhsa and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:16 am

I also find this useful because i can actually fit about 15-18 KG of stuff in my carry on bag.

I have not flown virgin for over a decade because they have a 10KG limit on hand luggage and its nice to not have to worry about this when flying with other carriers and BA
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: *A
FWIW, EasyJet also have an unlimited weight hand luggage policy (as long as you can lift it), albeit only one piece. Makes them much more appealing to fly with than FR or W6.
Vasco Pridat and MiraculousM like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Mr W has travelled with lots of books in his hand luggage before. It's a nightmare for security as the scanners seem to struggle with the density of a pile of books, so everything goes to secondary every time.

Like many other habits he brought with him, I have helped him take a more security friendly approach!
I have had the same issue in several countries ( China and S, Korea come to mind) - apparently a number of paperback books stacked together looks like stacks of cash -
so secondary for suspected money laundering.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Helpful for camera equipment also....
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
A cousin of mine when moving to the USA must have been close to this...

He vac packed all his clothes and filled his carry on luggage!!!
cgtechuk and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I have heard mention of folks carry a lot of books. I guess uni students might be the prime users of the weight limit.

For the younger ones here, books are papery things bound together and used for reading
Guilty as charged! My very first BA flight (over 25 years ago), I was a grad student and packed a canvas duffle and a backpack to max allowable weight with books. The security guy at the x-ray asked me if I was smuggling books. The cabin crew had a laugh (one guy even called me a "silly bugger" because I was struggling to go up the stairs to the upper deck with something like 90lbs) and checked the duffle for me. All in jest, but you get the picture.

Oh, back then they had economy on the upper deck. The horror! The inhumanity!! The travails of all the C and F passengers, and the indignity of having to sit below some Y butts
Maestro Ramen and T8191 like this.

Last edited by zeebanker; Jun 6, 2019 at 8:02 am
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I have had the same issue in several countries ( China and S, Korea come to mind) - apparently a number of paperback books stacked together looks like stacks of cash -
so secondary for suspected money laundering.
A TSA screener told me that it was because it can look like a solid block of material that the machine identifies as organic. You can immediately understand why that might cause concerns, whether it's in a checked bag or a carry-on.

I was lucky that that screener was working on checked bags in a landside pen at MSY. Not only did he tell me why he needed to get into the bag, he allowed me to direct him (verbally) to the place where I keep all the additional cable ties so that he could replace the ones that he'd had to cut off. Really nice guy - if TSA did Golden Tickets, I might well have given him one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.