Wiki Posts
Search

Question for cabin crew re ‘spraying’

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Question for cabin crew re ‘spraying’

On quite a few occasions in the past, like many of you, I have witnessed cabin crew walking down the cabin with an insect spray in either hand. They say beforehand that it is harmless and that you should cover your mouth and nose if you so desire. I always do because I don’t like breathing in these things, but, for cabin crew who have to do this on a quite a regular basis, how do you feel about it? After all, I can cover my mouth and nose but you obviously cannot. Just interested!

Last edited by Shingi; May 26, 2019 at 1:29 pm Reason: Addition
Old May 26, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'm not cabin crew but this question (and other variations) gets asked on a fairly regular basis

IIRC in the 'ask the cabin crew; thread it is apparent that given that cabin crew generally work a variety of destinations and even if they did the same it wouldn't be every day of the week (or even fortnight) it is unlikely they would be doing this on a very regular basis and some regular passengers will have higher levels of exposure than crew do.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Ah, sorry, I really should have searched this question beforehand but thank you for that.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Recently exposed to this procedure three times in less than a week, I have a couple of questions:

1. What insect/s is the aim of this routine, bed-bugs seems to be resistant, but what else can be on board an aircraft?
2. Can it be used in the departure area to exterminate gate lice?
tynmar and IAMORGAN like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by onobond
Recently exposed to this procedure three times in less than a week, I have a couple of questions:

1. What insect/s is the aim of this routine, bed-bugs seems to be resistant, but what else can be on board an aircraft?
We generally use insecticide departing countries where there are mozzies that could spread things like Malaria or yellow fever. Insects can easily get on board during turn around, especially at many of our African destinations such as Accra and Nairobi where we use steps to disembark the aircraft.

The exposure to it has never really crossed my mind to be perfect,y honest, I worry much more about the vast quantities of deet we cover ourselves in when travelling to malarial destinations!
JustTheOne and nancypants like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
In terms of trade off, it's probably better to deal with a low dosage of chemicals than with malaria...
nancypants likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:33 pm

It can’t be for malaria as I am sure I have been sprayed when departing from a non-malarial area.

Not sure but I don’t think bedbugs are insects.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: QF WP
I suspect there’s a fair range of targets and rationales. Eg Australia mandates “deinsection” of all aircraft arriving Australia

Department of Agriculture and Water Resources Aircraft disinsection

note there’s also multiple methods allowed, so even if the plane is not visibly sprayed by the cabin crew, doesn’t mean deinsection hasn’t happened
Old May 26, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
It's a WHO requirement in certain countries and/or routes.

https://www.who.int/ith/mode_of_trav...sinsection/en/
nancypants likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:59 pm

South Africa is another place that this happens, although only on the return iirc. I find it amusing how people dive for cover as if it's out to get them, despite it not coming even close to their face. Yet, the cabin crew march by completely unfazed despite it being inches from their face.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Talking Penguin
South Africa is another place that this happens, although only on the return iirc. I find it amusing how people dive for cover as if it's out to get them, despite it not coming even close to their face. Yet, the cabin crew march by completely unfazed despite it being inches from their face.
there’s people who avoid airlines who use the in flight spraying. Obviously not realising that residue spraying leaves the exact same chemicals on every surface of the plane, and is what the non-spraying airlines are using
Old May 26, 2019, 5:46 pm

Amazing so many replies and no one identifies what actually is being sprayed. Does anyone think it is a chemical close to DDT but with an extra letter and no T?
Old May 26, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Amazing so many replies and no one identifies what actually is being sprayed. Does anyone think it is a chemical close to DDT but with an extra letter and no T?
it’s usually a synthetic pyrethroid more along the lines of permethrin

DEET is a repellent not an insecticide, the intention is to kill them not have them fly out the door at the first opportunity

edit: NZ/Australian regs- d-phenothrin 2%
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenothrin

Last edited by nancypants; Sep 28, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old May 26, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by onobond
Am sure some people would regard you as 'gate lice'.

Stop insulting other passengers!
Old May 26, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I seem to recall a pax died due to an allergic reaction to such a spray...heirs sued. I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.