Search

777 Flub LHR-MAD

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
777 Flub LHR-MAD

Hello all,

Interesting to see that the First cabin has been opened up on my flight to Madrid on Tuesday. I’m taking my mum away and it’s her first experience of business class flying. I guess it would be a lovely experience to fly in the (fake) First cabin ... My question is as a silver is there a chance I may lose the seats we already have selected (10JK) as the cabin is pretty full. I’ve seen posts previously suggesting only Golds would be allowed to move forwards?
If not then any suggestions for best seats as a pair?
Cheers!

Last edited by darloscott; May 25, 2019 at 8:27 am Reason: Add cabin picture
Old May 25, 2019, 8:27 am

I would just take those seats, stop worrying and enjoy it. If you get “upgraded”, great!

the amount of worrying about Flub for such a short flight just isn’t worth it. It’s like worrying about business vs first on American for Boston-JFK on the three-class A321T.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you are fussy about your seating in CW then proceed with caution, since if the flight is not full in Club you will be moved out of First. If you (a) don't mind so much and (b) suspect the aircraft is full then you may as well move. But I don't put your chances too high. There is a system issue that opens up Flub, then another manual process later on which sweeps people back in CW if everyone can be accommodated there.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Don’t print/issue your boarding cards (but do check-in) and you can verify what’s available from the self service machines in departures. If First is open, and they’re using it, you should be able to move to seats there without issue. The machines will then issue you boarding cards.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Silver
Hi darloscott
I am doing exactly the same as you but a week later. I am taking my dad for a trip to Madrid and he has never flown business class before. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will open the First class section as it would be an amazing experience for him - even though it will be only for 2-hour flight.
Have a great time in Madrid!
Old May 25, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Good luck!

I’m silver and was lucky enough to get it both ways last year. Both times moved seat at t-72 before it closed down. Got moved out at t-24 on way out but managed to move back at airport. On the way back the seat selection stayed (not sure if the manual process is different at the Madrid end). Would the manual process also involve moving Silvers out at t-24?
Old May 26, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
There’s a dedicated FLUB thread out there I think.

From personal experience when flying to/from CAI, I found that it’s best not to move into First but to leave it to the airport staff as the few times that I moved myself into First I was moved out but when I stayed in Club I was moved into First.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
I was recently ‘upgraded’ from Y to F on MAD-LHR. I was able to select WTP as a gold from a few days out and then was changed to 1E a few hours before departure. First was Gold/OWE only.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Just be prepared for an equipment downgauge!
It can always happen.
Business on a narrowbody plane is nothing much to write about.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for all of your replies, went to work last night and checked this morning and the First cabin has disappeared from MMB again! Quite happy with Club to be honest but will be a different experience for my mum who has never done business before.
We’re doing the Latam 787 on the way back to FRA too, which I’ve done a few times in the past.
It was thanks to this forum that I managed to do the Far East in Club last year on the A380 which was wonderful!
Old May 26, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The last time I flew LHR-MAD we were on a 3 class 777 ( no 4 class) but the experience of a long haul business cabin on a short haul business route was great and I'm sure someone who has not done business before will love it.

Regards

TBS
Old May 26, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by darloscott
Thanks for all of your replies, went to work last night and checked this morning and the First cabin has disappeared from MMB again! Quite happy with Club to be honest but will be a different experience for my mum who has never done business before.
We’re doing the Latam 787 on the way back to FRA too, which I’ve done a few times in the past.
It was thanks to this forum that I managed to do the Far East in Club last year on the A380 which was wonderful!
Don’t forget to check on the day at LHR if it’s possible. I was travelling ET, could see according to expertflyer WTP being used but couldn’t select seats there,

its highly likely though of course check that the 777 will go from B or C gates so head over to the lounge T5B for a quieter experience. If returning on BA, and using the lounge at T4S in MAD, the secret ice cream is in a fridge with the sliding lid in the food serving area towards to bar area on the right hand side as you enter,
Old May 26, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Don’t forget to check on the day at LHR if it’s possible. I was travelling ET, could see according to expertflyer WTP being used but couldn’t select seats there,

its highly likely though of course check that the 777 will go from B or C gates so head over to the lounge T5B for a quieter experience. If returning on BA, and using the lounge at T4S in MAD, the secret ice cream is in a fridge with the sliding lid in the food serving area towards to bar area on the right hand side as you enter,
Be careful on B gates - was told at check in that our 777 mad flight was departing B41 so took my mum to the T5B lounge only to be told by a somewhat grumpy dragon, “why did you come here you’re at the wrong terminal” and had to leg it back through the tunnel and to an A bus gate to be delivered to B41.

Love the ice cream tip, thank you!

Old May 26, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
That would've been an agent volunteering the gate info before it was confirmed - in that case it appears in their system as 'stand 541' rather than B41 (which isn't actually a gate I believe).

Happened to me two or three times when the agent suggested it was departing from 5C, though I peeked on the screen and saw 575, which is a remote stand in the fuel farm.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
It’s not true that it’s only for golds, I am only silver and have been moved by BA agent to first cabin on the MAD 777 and on this flight the first cabin was pretty much empty except from 3 other passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.