Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Available seat on 747 Upper Deck but I can't book it.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Just made a CW booking LAX-LHR-LAX. When I try to select a seat on the BA return it shows the lower deck only. If I try and make a booking though BA for a one way (which I assume is the most expensive fare class), it shows 2 seats on the upper deck, one of which is the cot seat. Does anyone know how I can grab the other one? Never been upstairs on the 747 and would love to try it. I booked with Chase UR points so through Expedia.

Failing that, what window seat would you recommend on the lower deck? Thanks for your help.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HGPilot
Just made a CW booking LAX-LHR-LAX. When I try to select a seat on the BA return it shows the lower deck only. If I try and make a booking though BA for a one way (which I assume is the most expensive fare class), it shows 2 seats on the upper deck, one of which is the cot seat. Does anyone know how I can grab the other one?
You need to have a booking in J or C booking classes (the two highest CW booking classes), or to be a BA Gold or BA Silver or a oneworld Emerald or Sapphire.

The J or C booking class condition explains why (as you suspect) you can get the seat if you book a one-way cash ticket.

Otherwise, if you have to pay to pre-allocate seats then only the following seats are available: 60B (on some flights), 63AB, 63JK and 64B. Presumably, none of these is the available seat that you are interested in?
Old May 20, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Failing that, what window seat would you recommend on the lower deck? Thanks for your help.
If you want a window seat, the rear ones in each cabin section give direct aisle access so you don’t have to climb over anyone to get out of your seat area.

Depending on which type of B747 it is, these will either be:

On the B747 with 86 Club World seats: 14A/K or 20A/K or 22A/K

Or on the B747 with only 52 Club World seats: 20A/K
Old May 20, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
If you want a window seat, the rear ones in each cabin section give direct aisle access so you don’t have to climb over anyone to get out of your seat area.

Depending on which type of B747 it is, these will either be:

On the B747 with 86 Club World seats: 14A/K or 20A/K or 22A/K

Or on the B747 with only 52 Club World seats: 20A/K
Thanks, a couple of those seats remain. Amazing that you have to pay $144 for them on top of the price of the ticket.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I'd bag the rear of main deck with aisle access one and then set EF alerts for any better seats if I really wanted them.

I am always surprised...
1) Just what a range of seats different people value as important to them and...
2) Just how often a seat that I assume is the best one on the aircraft and unlikely to be available becomes free using this method.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:05 am

Deleted, misread
Old May 21, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Thanks, a couple of those seats remain. Amazing that you have to pay $144 for them on top of the price of the ticket.
This sounds harsh but it does keep the seat selection free for those who pay for expensive flexible ticket or frequent fliers. All else equal, other alliances are much worse for frequent fliers as a result.

One club world return flight and another short haul return flight would get you Bronze status and with that the option of booking your seat for free 7 days before the flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Keep checking or put a seat alert on expertflyer for those upper deck seats available to pre reserve. Plans do change and seats free pub
Assuming you’re still downstairs at check in, check in for your seat but don’t print/email etc your boarding pass. You can then keep checking to see if upper deck seats free up due to misconnects etc. It’s surprising how much movement there can be on the seatmap before departure.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebigben
This sounds harsh but it does keep the seat selection free for those who pay for expensive flexible ticket or frequent fliers. All else equal, other alliances are much worse for frequent fliers as a result.

One club world return flight and another short haul return flight would get you Bronze status and with that the option of booking your seat for free 7 days before the flight.
It will nudge me ever closer to lowly AA Gold, so at least I can get the MCE seats for free and try and use all those 500 mile upgrades I've had sitting in my account for ages. I tend to book my travel based on timing, not a specific alliance and it's mainly US domestic Y so it's hard for me to become an "elite" this way,
Old May 23, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Keep checking or put a seat alert on expertflyer for those upper deck seats available to pre reserve. Plans do change and seats free pub
Assuming you’re still downstairs at check in, check in for your seat but don’t print/email etc your boarding pass. You can then keep checking to see if upper deck seats free up due to misconnects etc. It’s surprising how much movement there can be on the seatmap before departure.
I have a seat alert for 64A which is blocked for travelers with infants. Interesting EF shows a bunch more seats just opened up than when I last checked, can I switch to the Upper Deck at T-24 if still available? Right now my fare class keeps me downstairs.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have a seat alert for 64A which is blocked for travelers with infants. Interesting EF shows a bunch more seats just opened up than when I last checked, can I switch to the Upper Deck at T-24 if still available? Right now my fare class keeps me downstairs.
it’s unlikely: with theoretical sitting, not all passengers can get all seats even at check in because ba tries to keep the more popular ones for its most frequent or full fare customers. For the same reason it’s very unlikely you’ll be given 64A even if it’s free: a lot of gold/silver/owe/ows customers will want it too and they will be the ones able to access it in all likelihood.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If 64B is booked by a Gold or Emerald at the moment and if the flight is not fully booked in the Club cabin, theoretical seating would block 64A for the comfort of the Gold/Emerald pax in 64B.
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Well in that case I guess I just made a 99c donation to EF
Old May 25, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If 64B is booked by a Gold or Emerald at the moment and if the flight is not fully booked in the Club cabin, theoretical seating would block 64A for the comfort of the Gold/Emerald pax in 64B.
Is theoretical seating really such a blunt instrument - in that it would leave 64A blocked and send a late booking in fully paid J to, say, a lower deck middle seat as a result? I appreciate the desire to help very frequent fliers have a comfortable flight but leaving (probably) the best seat in the cabin empty does seem slightly mad...

In terms of LD seats on the 86J 747 I would probably shoot for 14A/K or 20 A/K over 22 A/K. 22K is not a bad seat but is affected on an overnight US flight by light coming through the bulkhead from W, where the cabin lighting stays on longer and is turned back on earlier.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Is theoretical seating really such a blunt instrument - in that it would leave 64A blocked and send a late booking in fully paid J to, say, a lower deck middle seat as a result? I appreciate the desire to help very frequent fliers have a comfortable flight but leaving (probably) the best seat in the cabin empty does seem slightly mad...
In most likelihood, with theoretical sitting, if/when 64A becomes available, it would be offered to GCH/OWE and above only. At most, it might be available to SCH/OWS as well. As you point out, it is a very desired seat and I'd be extremely surprised if nobody picked it. In fact, I have never seen 64A or 64K empty on any of my flights, but equally, all the evidence (greetings etc) has always suggested that very frequent flyers were sat in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.