Wiki Posts
Search

December 2023 flights cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Angry December 2023 flights cancelled

I just received an e-mail to inform me that my flight from GLA to LHR (BA1491 @ 08:00) on the 2nd December and the return on the same day (BA1490 @ 20:35) have both been canceled. No issue with taking the suggested change for the outbound as there are a few to choose from, but I cannot believe that the last flight of the night back to GLA is now at 19:15!! Really, looks like EDI is a similar time and ABZ is even worse at around 17:00. How does this allow for a full day in London before heading home, not to mention the connections at LHR from later landing flights.

We have tickets booked for an afternoon performance of Les Misérables which leaves little time to get out to LHR in time for the last flight home, especially when my Father in Law has mobility issues. Anyone else had a recent late evening domestic canceled? I think i will sit on it for a few days in the hope that BA see the error of their ways and reintroduce a later flight.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
At a guess they are not expecting a lot of domestic traffic a saturday evening a couple of weeks before Christmas.

I can understand why that may be the case.

I suspect a lot less day trip traffic on a saturday than on a week day
SxMan and oceanscape like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Not just Christmas, I’ve just had the exact same flights all cancelled in February.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'd be inclined to take a flight the next morning and take a hotel. I'd then attempt a claim for the cost of the hotel from BA, but after the travel. Worst case it costs a hotel room or two, but makes an enjoyable day out less stressful, but I think there's a reasonable to fair chance of the claim being successful.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:25 pm

It is a low demand period, Easyjet last flight is even earlier. BA doesnt do much domestic or Euro city flying late on a Saturday generally in my experience.

Unfortunately those Saturdays are particularly expensive for hotel rooms in London in my experience so I'd be a little nervous about getting reimbursed (though I agree BA likely to pay ) but one option could be to stay at / nearer Heathrow or even Gatwick (cheaper on site hotels usually) and take their daily flight up to keep costs reasonable and enjoy a nice dinner in London before heading out to the airport for a night cap and to bed.

(My initial thought was to head east towards LCY for cheaper hotels but surprisingly the first LCY-GLA is nearly 6pm on Sunday!)
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by sammyg901
(My initial thought was to head east towards LCY for cheaper hotels but surprisingly the first LCY-GLA is nearly 6pm on Sunday!)
That's because LCY shuts down on Saturday afternoons and only re-opens on Sunday around 11ish. Something to do with agreements on noise reduction and I think BA cityflyer do W trips from SOU instead on Sunday mornings
RJD1983 and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have a similar issue late November. Iberia from Miami to Madrid then separate BA ticket to Heathrow - Glasgow. Domestic leg has been cancelled twice (July and September) and the only alternative now gets me into Heathrow 1hr 15 mins before the last Heathrow - Glasgow flight at 20.05 Slightly concerned about that. I know it meets the MCT but it’s tight.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 4:32 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979
I just received an e-mail to inform me that my flight from GLA to LHR (BA1491 @ 08:00) on the 2nd December and the return on the same day (BA1490 @ 20:35) have both been canceled. No issue with taking the suggested change for the outbound as there are a few to choose from, but I cannot believe that the last flight of the night back to GLA is now at 19:15!! Really, looks like EDI is a similar time and ABZ is even worse at around 17:00. How does this allow for a full day in London before heading home, not to mention the connections at LHR from later landing flights.

We have tickets booked for an afternoon performance of Les Misérables which leaves little time to get out to LHR in time for the last flight home, especially when my Father in Law has mobility issues. Anyone else had a recent late evening domestic canceled? I think i will sit on it for a few days in the hope that BA see the error of their ways and reintroduce a later flight.
Can I suggest what I would do? I would rebook flight for the following afternoon if such a flight exists, I would find somewhere in travellodge territory and have a pleasant dinner in London or Chinatown ( or wherever and spend the night with Pa-in-Law, ) Enjoy breakfast the next morning and take the tube out to T5, Enjoy what you have had handed on a plate. Yes, it will cost more money but it will make everyone very happy.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by AJA_
That's because LCY shuts down on Saturday afternoons and only re-opens on Sunday around 11ish. Something to do with agreements on noise reduction and I think BA cityflyer do W trips from SOU instead on Sunday mornings
Yes, just surprised they don't get things going a bit earlier northbound ! No SOU flying this winter
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:00 am

We have the same issue in January for a day trip to see a show. We were originally booked on a later flight back to Edinburgh as it's closer to home. When that was cancelled we moved on to the Glasgow flight which has been cancelled.

We've opted to travel back to Edinburgh the following day and make the most of some extra time in London. Annoying as it is, I always accepted there was a risk of this happening.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Elite
I think BA is currently honing its LHR-GLA schedules. I have flights for October, November and December which have all been cancelled and rebooked. The problem is they seem to keep cancelling the first and last flights of the day, which can mean then having to rebook connections. Their hold music is really grating on me!
AAL2887 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
I'd be inclined to take a flight the next morning and take a hotel. I'd then attempt a claim for the cost of the hotel from BA, but after the travel. Worst case it costs a hotel room or two, but makes an enjoyable day out less stressful, but I think there's a reasonable to fair chance of the claim being successful.
I can't imagine compensation for a schedule change of only 1 hour 20 minutes.
oceanscape likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by sparker72
I can't imagine compensation for a schedule change of only 1 hour 20 minutes.
It's a cancellation, not a schedule change - I think under EC261 within 2 weeks the threshold for full compensation is 1 hour before or 3 hours after the stated time, which recognizes that curtailing a trip is often very disruptive. You can always hang around in an airport, but difficult to walk out of a show early to get to the airport in time.

So although this won't qualify for compensation at all because well being cancelled well outside the 2 week window, right to care will likely apply if the return is moved to the next morning. But rule 1 is to not clarify this upfront, but to post claim.
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GGL
Also received an email to say that one of my LHR-MAN flights at the end of Dec - which I only booked 2 days ago - has been cancelled.

On the one hand this suits me rather well, as I can now rebook for free onto the slightly earlier flight; when booking, this was about £50 extra.

OTOH, surely BA must have a reasonable idea of how many flights a day it's going to run at quiet times of year like this? Failing to zero out flights they're unlikely to run seems a bit strange, to say the least.
remaxmac likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:06 am

15:15 BA768 LHR-OSL cancelled on 4 Jan 2024. Seems to be a risk booking ca.6 months out... .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.