Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class to bangkok

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 3:21 pm

We routed through HEL on AY last month and had much better experience - A350 planes are new, cabin crew was attentive and proactive (I.e. glasses always refilled without having to ask, even in the night), HEL was easy transit.

Would absolutely fly with them again instead of old 777-200 that BA sends to BKK.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
We went to Bangkok last month with BA. Outbound flew direct but inbound flew via HKG (A380) which was much better.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Plus stories of broken seats (all classes) & poor IFE on board some of the oldest 772’s in the fleet.
It doesn't entirely explain why we don't get quite the same volume, vehemence or consistency of complaints when the exact same aircraft fly to BLR, EZE, GCM, NAS or TLV.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mike P
My first choice to BKK would be QR via Doha. My second choice would be AY via Helsinki. I'd avoid the direct BA service wherever possible.
This really sounds true (especially in the premium cabin) and is a sad indictment of BA ....
Old May 15, 2019, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It doesn't entirely explain why we don't get quite the same volume, vehemence or consistency of complaints when the exact same aircraft fly to BLR, EZE, GCM, NAS or TLV.
This might be because there are a wide airlines that fly (without necessarily going in a totally roundabout way) to Bangkok - TG, QA, EK etc - which have a good reputation. The reason I say might, is because I've not been to the destinations you mentioned and can't say if they are serviced by airlines with decent service/hardware...
Old May 15, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best business class by far on LHR-BKK is usually also the most keenly priced. BR flies a nonstop that is better than TG and much better than BA.
NoY likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's quite staggering people book these flights without researching first.. especially as OP has had a bad experience with BA on these aircraft before. To be honest, probably the reason they (BA) can get away with it.

QR would be my choice any day of the week.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globaliser
TLV ain’t long enough, others have good night sectors for sleeping.
There are other OW routings to the Far East with much better aircraft and timings for comparison. BR and TG are also there for comparison.
Many remember the better QF/BA services to BKK

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; May 16, 2019 at 1:45 am
Old May 16, 2019, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
This might be because there are a wide airlines that fly (without necessarily going in a totally roundabout way) to Bangkok - TG, QA, EK etc - which have a good reputation. The reason I say might, is because I've not been to the destinations you mentioned and can't say if they are serviced by airlines with decent service/hardware...
Originally Posted by richardwft
There are other OW routings to the Far East with much better aircraft and timings for comparison. BR and TG are also there for comparison.
Which would be understandable if the complaints were along the lines of "Compared to its competitors on this route, BA flies much older and much worse aircraft." But the complaints are usually expressed either in absolute terms or in terms that simply compare this BA route with other BA routes. Hence, to my mind, the "BKK complaint" is still an interesting phenomenon for which there seems to be no clear explanation.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
As mentioned above, airlines don't provide the best on leisure destinations.
BA J is not a top product to start with, so...

If you live around London and value the nonstop consider BR or TG, especially Eva.You might find more attractive prices.
If you wish OW, check QR (top product), CX (god seat), AY. One-stop prices can be good.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: BA
As someone who is flying LHR-BKK in November I am prepared for it not to be the greatest experience. However booking with an Amex 241 Voucher i don't have any choice but to fly direct and with BA.

I agree it is a very strange flight time! If they made them better timings then i am sure a number of issues would be resolved through majority of passengers sleeping. Why on earth would you make a a long-haul flight from BKK back west an early morning flight so the whole cabin is awake for the entire duration is beyond me...
Old May 16, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ard9719
Why on earth would you make a a long-haul flight from BKK back west an early morning flight so the whole cabin is awake for the entire duration is beyond me...
BKK-LHR is hardly unique in being a day flight from Asia to London. BA's Asia-London services from HND, ICN, KIX, NRT, PEK & PVG spring to mind as day-flights.

Doc Copper
Old May 16, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
BKK-LHR is hardly unique in being a day flight from Asia to London. BA's Asia-London services from HND, ICN, KIX, NRT, PEK & PVG spring to mind as day-flights.

Doc Copper
A very fair point - My only comment is that services such as PVG and PEK are more business routes? Those travelling are less likely to be tourist travellers in CW and therefore benefit from the daytime flight for productivity and arrival time to reduce jetalag... I'm not sure though - Just my opinion/educated guess
Old May 16, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by ard9719
As someone who is flying LHR-BKK in November I am prepared for it not to be the greatest experience. However booking with an Amex 241 Voucher i don't have any choice but to fly direct and with BA.

I agree it is a very strange flight time! If they made them better timings then i am sure a number of issues would be resolved through majority of passengers sleeping. Why on earth would you make a a long-haul flight from BKK back west an early morning flight so the whole cabin is awake for the entire duration is beyond me...
I did it on a 2-4-1 last month and did a little write up in the other thread (that we are now duplicating). It’s not great. But as with all things BA keep your expectations modest and it will be fine. It’s a long old flight, so if you’re not enjoying it in Club imagine the poor souls behind you?

Make the best of it by loading up an iPad and helping yourself to Club Kitchen once an hour. You can do about a dozen runs through the flight to get your money’s worth which, being a redemption, shouldn’t be too difficult!
A P Yu likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:09 am

I've flown Business LON-BKK 8 times over the last 10 months. The one BA flight I took was underwhelming.

All subsequent flights with QR (through Doha), booking onto Q-Suites equipped aircraft whenever possible, have been a joy.

The bar on the A380's is quite a thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.