Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Silver status for.... 3000EUR

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

BA Silver status for.... 3000EUR

I purchased Hilton Gold status on Ebay for the past 5 years without any issues.

I thought I have a look to see if anybody sells them on Ebay for a reasonable price and found one seller who is asking 3000EURs!!

My immediate thoughts were “He is mad. Good luck with that”.
But it also made me wonder, how much would people value Silver status?

I only fly about 10 times a year so I can’t get 3000EUR value out from it that is for sure (and I doubt anybody can)
Old May 13, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
You can earn it legitimately for less than that. And you get the Avios for the flying.

if you don’t have the time to fly then what benefit is Silver for you?
Dambus, stevie, tmac100 and 9 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
with some judicious TP runs you could get Gold for that!

Of course status value depends on how much you fly and how make use it it so lounge access is only really a status benefit if you are flying in economy for example because it's included in club tickets

Same with the extra baggage allowances

As to value I'd perhaps use £25 for lounge access and the actual cost of buying an extra bag from the website.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
I purchased Hilton Gold status on Ebay for the past 5 years without any issues.
Did the clocks go back ? Didn’t realise it was 1st April.
DeltaFlyingProf and stewaran like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAEC

Did the clocks go back ? Didn’t realise it was 1st April.

What do you mean?
You can even buy it now though normally I pay around £50 a year, now it is listed for a £100.
I thought it is common knowledge....

Just search for Hilton Gold Status and you will find sellers with many positive feedbacks.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

What do you mean?
You can even buy it now though normally I pay around £50 a year, now it is listed for a £100.
I thought it is common knowledge....

Just search for Hilton Gold Status and you will find sellers with many positive feedbacks.
Thanks but I’m quite happy with my Complimentary Diamond Status.

I was not aware that Hilton Gold Status was transferable or even sellable. 🤔
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAEC
I was not aware that Hilton Gold Status was transferable or even sellable. ��
They have a similar system to GGLs - do 60 nights at a Hilton / Hilton group hotels and you get a Gold partner card.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:16 pm

That's crazy. But actually totally worth it, in reference to Hilton Honors, certainly not BA Silver. I did a search and found Hilton, but could not find anything for BA (except for amenity kits of sale, lol).

I'm just curious, how does it actually work? The status has to be transferred to your name, so people can't just sell their own status, are they selling status they are allowed to gift? Do you just get a code you put in? I'm maybe too baffled by this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ramzi
That's crazy. But actually totally worth it, in reference to Hilton Honors, certainly not BA Silver. I did a search and found Hilton, but could not find anything for BA (except for amenity kits of sale, lol).

I'm just curious, how does it actually work? The status has to be transferred to your name, so people can't just sell their own status, are they selling status they are allowed to gift? Do you just get a code you put in? I'm maybe too baffled by this.
It will likely be a GGL who is selling their partner card- quick way to loosing your BAEC account and being £3k less well off in the process
orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:43 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
The Hilton eBay listings are often 90 day statuses where you have a reduced target to keep it, but it’s good for status matching, as I have just done with Total Rewards (saving 14 nights resort fees at $40/n)
Old May 13, 2019, 4:03 pm

i know someone who bought ba silver for us$500 on ebay, they got nearly 2 years as they bought it just after there renewal.

good value if you don’t get caught - I have about 850k avios so i would not risk anything like that.

Old May 13, 2019, 4:37 pm

3000 euros is just crazy. If you buy the Sapphire card, then it means that you do not qualify yourself, so you will be taking a somewhat limited number of flights, limiting your benefit of the card.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:34 pm

Not necessarily true. On a business trip I met a guy who flew around 50 segments a year, always short haul, always in economy, usually O or Q. He did have Silver based on 50 Segments but had less than 400 TPs. If he was "only" doing 40 segments then £500 for silver would be great value for him…
CloudGazer and mccartje like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
I’ve gifted Gold (not sold) to friends who travel leisurely only as the benefits (potential upgrade to exec levels so lounge access, free breakfast, etc.) are great for them - even as a wedding gift to a couple going on a honeymoon to a Hilton resort! You just put their email and HHonors number in so you could sell it and pretty sure there’s no possibility for repercussions.

No idea how BA GGL works but assuming it just wouldn’t be feasible to “sell” a partner card? Or is it similar in that you can gift that card to anyone?
Old May 14, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: QF WP
You used to be able to buy S7 OW sapphire status for relatively little on a month to month basis, not sure if that is still a thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.