Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Crew, thank you for your hard work”

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 3:11 pm

BBC's Rhod Gilbert Work Experience Season 8 Episode 3

Perhaps "we" as passengers need to remember that cabin staff are people as well, doing their best to be the face of BA on the frontline in dealing with passengers.

Maybe if you have gripes with your flight, if you feel strongly, you contact BA's customer service afterwards, if you have a sensible gripe.

I've flown BA a few times, short and long haul, I've never had an issue with any of the staff.

I've flown different airlines, and have never had any issues with the cabin crew. I'm not trying to make excuses for individual cabin members, but like anyone else they can have their "off days" where they are still trying to be happy, smiley, and professional, the best they can.

The airline staff of a 747/ 777 etc deal with numerous knows how many passengers each flight, per week. Like anything else some passengers can be a right royal pain in the derrier compared to other more well behaved happy sensible passengers.

The "thank you announcement" for the staff may be a corporate policy, that even the staff may cringe at themselves. No matter whichever airline you fly, the cabin staff have umpteen things to look after, as mention a few times before, safety etc.

Being a former British serviceman, there was times of stress in my former work, and it's so true for airline staff, they deserve medals.

So the cockpit crew thanking the cabin staff is a nice touch. Who knows what certain difficult passengers, or unique situations ( not warranteed in letting the passengers know of) that the cabin crew have had to deal with on your flight or a preceeding flight.

Just be sensible and nice, and remember behind the corporate airline uniform is a person who chose to be an air steward/ess, and is doing his or her best.

If you want to see the other side of the coin try watching ( on another website )Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience Season 8 Episode 3 on the BBC. Rhod trying to be a BA steward is very insightful, from the cabin crew perspective.

Last edited by Giantlonglegs; May 11, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This may sound crazy, but could there actually be something in between those two?
Not really. Reasonably well-adjusted people are not thrown into a fits of pique over something as trivial as an in-flight announcement thanking the cabin crew.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
By no means the biggest fan of BA and will often choose other airlines but in my mind, there are other, far better reasons to slam BA than the crews.
[/QUOTE]

2 slams (BA and crew) make a difference? Staff are paid to do work (sometimes hard). Let's thank the passengers by giving reasonable service which is a bit on the short side most of the time.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:04 pm

They thank passengers for choosing and flying BA, despite the fact some might not have made that choice themselves, so why not thank the crew who may or may not have had a bad day.

I'm more irritated by the "We will soon start our descent and will turn the seatbelt signs on in 20 minutes. Please go to the bathroom now if necessary" announcement followed 5 minutes later with the signs coming on and "10 minutes to landing".
Old May 11, 2019, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Why are people even worried about this?
They must have an easy life compared to me.
IAMORGAN and Bearface like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
This has been brought up before, it certainly isn’t standard and in my opinion is totally inappropriate, unprofessional and will never happen on one of my flights.
@ CIHY - your ‘from the coalface’ postings can very often provide reassurance / comfort. And this was certainly one of those ^

Minimising PA’s to the absolute essential is a good thing ...... especially if as a passenger you’ve already had a tiring day.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The contents of these announcements don't bother me but what does is that on l/h I am relaxing listening to some soft music at a sensible volume when all of a sudden my music stops and I am shouted at high volume with some announcement. On one occasion it actually hurt my ears!
Old May 12, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TTmex
This kind of complaining bugs me. It's almost as if people are trying to dehumanize CC to being mere servants and robots.

I work in Org Dev and on forming cultures of CX (customer experience, not Cathay). Public recognition is vital in fostering cultures of teamwork and in promoting motivation. It's why you'll see it everywhere in different forms. Starbucks employees are recognised on public wall displays. Cisco's social media all day long is full of praise and employee success stories. Consulting firms and banks publicly pat their top performers on the back... Crap, one group just awarded the Marriott CEO as CEO of the year...

Demonstrating you value your employees is vital and you may think a small announcement sounds a little cheesy, but it's far more powerful than you think and is likely more than the recognition most can ever expect in other jobs.

This complaining culture about recognition is not unique to CC. I hear the same comments about praise made about teachers, nurses, chefs etc. For some reason some people think these people should not get public recognition or bonuses because they are supposed to just do their job. Public praise should be selectively used for sure and it sounds like it is. Doesn't seem to be used every time by BA. If a flight passes with no incidents, why shouldn't a small thank you be made publicly??

Perhaps a bit of empathy can go a long way here.
public affirmation of excellence and going the extra mile is one thing. Bland meaningless PAs on a flight-when you didn’t get your first choice meal, your IFE didn’t work or you were downgraded or it was a day late and you slept in the terminal....is quite another.

it is not for the individual crew to self aggrandise their performance, that judgement is the passengers alone and in turn the business leaders following feedback or generally improved results.

by all means post crew / staff excellence awards on web sites, rest areas and briefing rooms but don’t inflict it on me during a BA flight. Particularly a bad one!
choosethedrew likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I must have heard it dozens of times (if not more) but have never had any cognitive engagement, in the sense that I have never given any thought to it at all, so can't even begin to say whether it annoys me or not. Thank you to FT for broadening my horizon. On reflection it does seem a bit empty, but I can't say I'm that exercised by it one way or the other.

That said I find the Flying Start announcements mildly irritating, which sounds like a terrible thing to say given the self-evidently good cause that it relates to. I can't pinpoint why, but I think they need to change the script. I realise I'm going off topic now so I'll start a new thread (only joking I won't really).
Old May 12, 2019, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TTmex
Public recognition is vital in fostering cultures of teamwork and in promoting motivation. It's why you'll see it everywhere in different forms. Starbucks employees are recognised on public wall displays. Cisco's social media all day long is full of praise and employee success stories. Consulting firms and banks publicly pat their top performers on the back... Crap, one group just awarded the Marriott CEO as CEO of the year...
Except that from a psychological point of view, I expect this particular announcement to achieve exactly the opposite of what you rightly say is needed. Typically, perceptions of self-praise tend to make others more likely to under-estimate the qualities of the person or group from which they emanate. In other words, if you (as an individual or group) say that you work hard, others are likely to perceive you as working less hard than if you say nothing.

So sure, underline crew awards and achievements, place them centre-stage by giving them a face, a voice in the online magazine (it used to be more the case before with pilot interviews etc), give more value to those who receive golden tickets, organise an employee of the month competition based on passengers' feedback etc, all those things may well achieve what you say in terms of humanising and valuing employees in the eyes of customers but saying "you've worked hard, well done" in public won't, not because passengers are mean or bitter but just because of fairly basic and well known psychological effects on human perception.

And whilst the announcement is precisely not based on a company policy (in fact, some crew members have suggested that this is even discouraged upthread), it would be paradoxical if it were: BA treat their employees in general and cabin crew in particular very poorly. Employment relations are chronically tense, there have been multiple threats of strikes especially for some fleet (notably Mixed Fleet and LGW fleet) due to ever worsening package, work conditions, pensions situation and more. So if BA does want to improve the feeling of their cabin crew - and I'd very much support them doing that - I suggest that rather than embracing announcements of this type, they start by treating them with respect, offering them a decent pay for their work and genuine incentives to perform better and elicit customer satisfaction, long term safety in their employment and a sense of being heard and considered by their company leaders rather than just their CSM/CSD. That, I'm sure, would boost the crews morale radically.
choosethedrew and Bearface like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 12, 2019 at 2:36 am
Old May 12, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Except that from a psychological point of view, I expect this particular announcement to achieve exactly the opposite of what you rightly say is needed. Typically, perceptions of self-praise tend to make others more likely to under-estimate the qualities of the person or group from which they emanate. In other words, if you (as an individual or group) say that you work hard, others are likely to perceive you as working less hard than if you say nothing.

So sure, underline crew awards and achievements, place them centre-stage by giving them a face, a voice in the online magazine (it used to be more the case before with pilot interviews etc), give more value to those who receive golden tickets, organise an employee of the month competition based on passengers' feedback etc, all those things may well achieve what you say in terms of humanising and valuing employees in the eyes of customers but saying "you've worked hard, well done" in public won't, not because passengers are mean or bitter but just because of fairly basic and well known psychological effects on human perception.

And whilst the announcement is precisely not based on a company policy (in fact, some crew members have suggested that this is even discouraged upthread), it would be paradoxical if it were: BA treat their employees in general and cabin crew in particular very poorly. Employment relations are chronically tense, there have been multiple threats of strikes especially for some fleet (notably Mixed Fleet and LGW fleet) due to ever worsening package, work conditions, pensions situation and more. So if BA does want to improve the feeling of their cabin crew - and I'd very much support them doing that - I suggest that rather than embracing announcements of this type, they start by treating them with respect, offering them a decent pay for their work and genuine incentives to perform better and elicit customer satisfaction, long term safety in their employment and a sense of being heard and considered by their company leaders rather than just their CSM/CSD. That, I'm sure, would boost the crews morale radically.
i understand BA are looking at ways to improve this, for example using lounge access on staff travel as a reward to exceptional performance; I would like to see them go further (I personally think a monthly holiday raffle for golden ticket receivers would actually give them some value rather than a random email from a manager or having to go and see your manager in your own time to be told that you’ve received one, equally those that are in roles that are less likely to receive one also need recognition (e.g. Ops, ground staff etc).
Old May 12, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by navylad

i understand BA are looking at ways to improve this, for example using lounge access on staff travel as a reward to exceptional performance; I would like to see them go further (I personally think a monthly holiday raffle for golden ticket receivers would actually give them some value rather than a random email from a manager or having to go and see your manager in your own time to be told that you’ve received one, equally those that are in roles that are less likely to receive one also need recognition (e.g. Ops, ground staff etc).
I would whole-heartedly agree with all of the above! ^
redrose59 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by HIDDY
They must have an easy life compared to me.
They don't have an easier life than you. They are going through life on the razor's edge of anxiety and in a constant state of turmoil about the tiniest, most insignificant thing.
Andriyko and HIDDY like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
That said I find the Flying Start announcements mildly irritating, which sounds like a terrible thing to say given the self-evidently good cause that it relates to. I can't pinpoint why, but I think they need to change the script.[/left]
The bit where they say "..any contribution, no matter how great or small..." makes absolutely no sense - it should, surely, just be "... no matter how small..." - and I really wish they'd correct the script.

Or, better still, just drop it completely. There are already too many announcements onboard, many of which are empty rituals and invariably delivered in a bored and stumbling monotone.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Giantlonglegs
Maybe if you have gripes with your flight, if you feel strongly, you contact BA's customer service afterwards, if you have a sensible gripe.
Yeah right. Like when you find a bag of vomit in the seat pocket. That went well, didn’t it!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.