Wiki Posts
Search

Special Services Initiative

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Special Services Initiative

just checked in to T5 and was flagged at the first wing at those boarding card scanning gates where a woman came up to me to welcome me and explain BA is expanding their special services. i'm low on sleep but think she called it "concorde special services" or something similar.

the point was they are doing a pilot to expand the services for us major DYKWIA -- KIDDING -- but right now focused on the LHR-JFK services. she mentioned when i check in for the return from JFK to ask if i am on the list to get a cart pick up from the gate thru border control. i'm only in J this evening, and regular GGL.

i was surprised, but also its good to hear they are focusing on this. i noted that AA special services takes care of me on the US transcons despite flying with my BA number and she seemed surprised (which i always am too!).

anyhow, seems like a nice effort, and lets see how it plays out!
Takiteasy likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Here's the letter I received from the Concorde Team at JFK a couple of weeks ago. I'll add details tomorrow, but in summary it was a very pleasant arrival experience and I'd certainly do it again if offered!

Markie and frasier like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
"Global Concorde Team Manager" - now that's a job title!
Old May 11, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
interesting and sounds like what the agent was telling me about! not sure if i got a letter as i think my BA account still goes to my parent's house in DEN :P
Old May 11, 2019, 9:44 am
QR1

Programs: Emirates & BA
I witnessed this play out yesterday with one GGL getting the buggy and 2 Prem's getting the Jag service. A little surprised that the buggy arrived at immigration just before we did in the car.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
"Global Concorde Team Manager" - now that's a job title!
In a way that is not positive branding. BA hanging on to a product from last century that they still haven't managed to replace. Says a thing about the lack of innovation.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
In a way that is not positive branding. BA hanging on to a product from last century that they still haven't managed to replace. Says a thing about the lack of innovation.
Alternatively one could see it as using their legacy in a positive way. I think most travelers recognise the Concord name, and probably in a good way. I would say that keeping the concord name alive is positive branding.

They haven't managed to replace it for multiple reasons - the primary one being that a replacement doesn't exist! (And practical business reasons for why that is the case.) BA doesn't build planes, they just buy, lease and operate them! I suspect someone in BA is keeping the name alive until supersonic passenger travel returns and then we'll see the name being reused for the service in some major way.

rb211.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I guess just improving the shuttle service is too much effort.
A P Yu likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BA GGL
Following up from my earlier post:

I received this recently on arrival from JFK (travelling in J as a GGL/CCR card holder). When I picked up a boarding pass at the First Wing in JFK the lovely check-in lady had a message to phone what I now know to be the Concorde Team. A minute or two later a smart non-uniformed lady came for a chat and explained the trial of a buggy on arrival at T5 (and handed me the above letter to take away with more details).

Obviously I accepted the offer, and on arrival was met at the top of the B-gate airbridge by a Concorde Team lady (with my name on an iPad) and buggy driver. The buggy was much smaller (and quicker?) than the standard assistance buggy (think a smaller version of Taj's "Wagon" from BBC's 'Come Fly With Me'). It wasn't obviously BA branded, and I feel like (but could be wrong?) that it had an Omniserve logo - but again the driver was in a suit rather than an obvious uniform. The Concorde Team lady holding the iPad stayed at the B gates.

The buggy went down in the lift (quite slow) but raced surprisingly quickly through the tunnel, and stopped back up at the south side of the immigration hall by the crew line (pre-immigration).

I don't think there was much time saved vs the transit (at least not from the B gates closest to the lift), but being whisked through the tunnels on a buggy - with "wind" in what's left of my hair - was very significantly more pleasant. I normally walk to avoid the busy transit, and this obviously saved time (especially if it's offered from C gates).

I've fed back to BA, but think it's a very positive offering and I'd certainly do it again if given the opportunity. Assuming this won't be offered on all flights, if prioritising I think I'd value it particularly on delayed-arriving flights and (as someone who otherwise walks) those arriving at C gates. However I know getting on a shuttle at B, after an A380 has arrived at C, can be a particularly bad experience so perhaps for those not walking the priorities would differ.

But yes, I see the point about just improving the shuttle; the letter shows they know this is an issue. How feasible is that though; it doesn't hang around at either end very long, so is there actually scope to increase capacity without extending stations etc?

(and apologies for no photos; apart from not really being appropriate I was distracted by feeling like a VIP for a few fun minutes!)
Old May 12, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I think I remember talk of this Concord team from BA quite some time ago, possible about 12 to 18 months ago, so obviously this Is the beginning of the implementation. Sounds like a good and useful initiative for premium passengers, and it’s great to see BA adding some value again rather than striping it out. I don’t want to be a pessimist, but I cant help but thinking that the next time costs need to be cut, it will be one of the first things to get the chop... I hope not though.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
So with a buggy / driver you get to explore the lifts to -4 level and the tunnel. Being a regular tunneler I occasionally see the odd buggy pass, I shall remember to doff my hat and bow in future as the specially serviced GGL goes scooting by :-)
Old May 12, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Ahhh the buggy. The one our children fondly call "Ivor the Engine" because of its quaint squawking sound. We always walk the tunnels, so we see quite a few of them.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
I'm hoping we can instigate time trials and a leader board like Top Gear. The next step will be Man vs Buggy and could involve some of our T5 tunnel joggers!
fluffymitten likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikebg
Ahhh the buggy. The one our children fondly call "Ivor the Engine" because of its quaint squawking sound. We always walk the tunnels, so we see quite a few of them.
The Concorde Team's buggy doesn't squawk. It's not one of the Assistance buggies.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:38 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The Concorde Team's buggy doesn't squawk. It's not one of the Assistance buggies.
It does when I sit on the back making annoying noises.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.