Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loose enforcement of carry ons

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flyer0123
What about connecting at LHR for other destinations like India? Will the transit security stop me if I havce CPAP in addition to my Roller bag and backpack?
Security is run by the airport rather than the airline, they don't mind what you bring so long as it isn't greatly over the maximum checked bag size, and even then it's just because of size limitations on their equipment / belt. Though some BA agents at Flight Connections may be monitoring bag size, it will be for - well - see photo-post 1. So you shouldn't need to be concerned there.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Security is run by the airport rather than the airline, they don't mind what you bring so long as it isn't greatly over the maximum checked bag size, and even then it's just because of size limitations on their equipment / belt. Though some BA agents at Flight Connections may be monitoring bag size, it will be for - well - see photo-post 1. So you shouldn't need to be concerned there.
Thanks!! I am in the process of getting a CPAP machine and wanted to make sure, I don't get in trouble with my upcoming trips and almost all my international trips are AA+BA and via LHR
Old May 10, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by flyer0123
Thanks!! I am in the process of getting a CPAP machine and wanted to make sure, I don't get in trouble with my upcoming trips and almost all my international trips are AA+BA and via LHR
To be clear: I've not been challenged on any Oneworld carrier globally yet, for carrying my CPAP machine alongside two other bags. I use the official travel case for it (https://www.google.com/search?q=resm...=lnms&tbm=isch) and don't have any issues.

In some airports, some of the time, security will request you take the main unit out of the bag and let it be x-ray'd like a laptop. All the security folks recognize the major brands of CPAP machine case, and usually refer to it as a CPAP or "breathing machine." Be prepared to grab it out and do that.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by alex67500
For me it was Munster chesse from Alsace, on an SXB-ORY way back when SXB still had interesting flights...
Accidentally brought a bag of (raw, shelled) scallops on board. Realised when the locker started to, ahem, whiff a bit.

Was very very embarrassed but attempted to pretend it was entirely normal. Still cring a bit now.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:44 pm

Security is run by the airport rather than the airline, they don't mind what you bring
Haven't been to JER for years now, but when I used to live there security was very strict with one bag only policy, regardless of what your allowance was. And they loved explosives test, pretty much every time good portion of cream from every jar or tube and several squeezes of perfume was needed for testing
Maybe Uncle T can shed light if things have changed.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
You are correct, on BA a CPAP would count as part of the 2 baggage allowance:

"Medical clearance is not required to travel with or use a CPAP Machine for sleep apnoea. The device can be carried in your hand-luggage, and forms part of your two-piece hand baggage allowance."

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-and-pregnancy
At the risk of waking up an old thread, BA's policy on this has apparently changed. Per the current text at that link:

• Medical clearance is not needed to travel with or use a CPAP Machine for sleep apnoea on board our aircraft. However, we recommend that you carry a letter from a medical professional stating why you need the machine for your journey.
  • You can carry your device in the cabin as an extra piece of hand-baggage without charge.
  • If you don’t need to use your CPAP machine in the cabin, and you want to check it into the hold, it will be permitted in addition to your free baggage allowance without charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.