Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loose enforcement of carry ons

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Seen this many a time. I use my Group 1 'status' when in CE to board early and make darn sure no ET passenger gets space in the bin above my seat until boarding is complete.
Even more important if using Row 1, given the amount of space used by CC equipment in the overheads there.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Even more important if using Row 1, given the amount of space used by CC equipment in the overheads there.
sorry, struggling with this whole thread ! The likes etc.... it’s a plane
BA team members do their best to enforce / acknowledge seat/ baggage - especially their ‘ frequent flier customers. HBO is abused . People behave the way they do , sadly ( some will no doubt disagree) they get away with it .
If on board and you see such mis use - why not speak to CC?
BTW to the OP - if I was following that individual on board I would have (100%) said something to the crew.

Last edited by Telecasterman; May 8, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old May 8, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Yes it is ridiculous and it delays flights. I am tired of waiting in the aisle while others try to force enormous bags into the lockers. I just don’t understand why BA are not more proactive about this.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
BTW to the OP - if I was following that individual on board I would have (100%) said something to the crew.
I don’t normally fly BA and am an American. If this was the US I may have been more comfortable saying something to the cabin crew or even directly to the passenger(s). Being overseas and a guest in a different country I tend not to be as confrontional as I am back home.

I was also not annoyed at the time but very amused that so many carry-ons would be tolerated. At this point too I assumed agents at check-in and at the gate had been okay with this so not sure my input would have been helpful.
Telecasterman likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:32 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Natural by-product of offering cheap people the chance to save a few quid by packing an entire checked back into their carry ons and cheap airline management the chance to squeeze an extra row or two of passengers and their carry ons in by slimming the seats, removing the bulkheads and closet. If we wanted Ryanair, we’d all fly it. Right?

I hope they don’t adopt American policies... fell foul of their stupid policies trying to bring a rolled art tube along side my bag into their 777 First class last month.
IAMORGAN and Elevate like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
In my experience BA do checks at the gate and take bags off people in line with the expected loads. It may not be quite as sophisticated as the modelling on AA (where gate agents seem to know the number of bags they need to take off people in the higher boarding numbers), but generally it works quite reasonable.

If the gate agents in this case let the pax through, maybe they didn't do their job properly, but also the flight may have not been full and they knew there would be space.

I find it quite extraordinary that some people on this thread feel the need to police other passengers or make sure that parts of the overhead storage stays free. This is for the airline to sort. And if FR & U2 are so much better at managing cabin bags - maybe people should fly them more.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
IMHO, the fairest way is to have a set of rules are abide by them. There may have been space for all the bags on this flight, but another it would have caused a delay and that is disrespectful of other passengers. If you stick by the rules all of the time, people learn to stick by them, if you allow a little beyond the rules each time, pax will see how much they can get away with. I feel for the CC who have to play a game of Tetris on every flight, particularly given the generous baggage allowance for most tickets and the little difference between HBO and Baggage Included fares (compared to extortionate amounts seen with LCC in order to be able to advertise a falsely low fare.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by navylad
IMHO, the fairest way is to have a set of rules are abide by them. There may have been space for all the bags on this flight, but another it would have caused a delay and that is disrespectful of other passengers.
And very unfair to those that abide to those rules: maybe they leave home something only because it would have been over the ruled amount... to then see someone else without the same scruple bringing half the closet on board.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by PETER01
That's really taking the Mickey to be polite. There should have been stricter controls at the gate.

Question for crew/CSDs/CSMs

Can you stop someone from boarding with such an excess of baggage and force a bag into the hold?
I too am intrigued about this. BA891 SOF-LHR on Monday was a nightmare, with the flight delayed while the CC sorted the huge number of bags which couldn't be accommodated. One member of crew asked a passenger in row 23, a number of times, to move a bag from the bin to under the seat in front, but she repeatedly refused. I was secretly hoping the CC was just remove it and send it downstairs, but unfortunately they moved on. Prior to take off the whole isle was lined with bags while the crew rearranged the overheads like a Mensa puzzle.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This is incredibly annoying especially when people like me actually measure the size of my bags and will not take a bag if it is oversized. Then I see things like that happening and I wonder why I bothered.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
This is BA's own fault... if you sell HBO tickets then you should enforce baggage limits. If you don't then people will get used to the idea that they don't need to check bags in and they can save a few bob along the way. When I see stuff like this I am astonished that revenue management aren't onto it.
jamesreid978 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:55 am

Even i, who basically is always "if its not hurting you then why do you let it anger you" mentality, think this is ridiculous. I dont understand how they got past?

I have a stupid question.. do status/J+F passengers get bigger carry on allowance?
Old May 9, 2019, 12:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is at least thrice the allowance, now I've spotted the mobile side bin on the left. As you can imagine I see quite a fair bit of chancing it in this area but this was enough to make me gasp!
This is certainly the largest by volume I've seen (and at the top of the quantity except for the 6 small plastic bags woman)!

I've seen two wheelie bags fairly often, and even a woman with 6 smallish plastic bags*, but this really beats everything I've seen so far on ANY carrier, let alone just BA (and I often fly with carriers that allow two full-size cabin bags in J/F).

*I still struggle to understand why she brought in 6 smallish plastic bags. They would have been OK in a single normal sized bag!

Originally Posted by MiraculousM

I have a stupid question.. do status/J+F passengers get bigger carry on allowance?
Not stupid
You don't get any extra on BA but you do on quite a few carriers.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 9, 2019 at 1:05 am
Old May 9, 2019, 12:59 am

As someone that has been stopped and had my baggage tried to be taken off me despite being well within the limits, i am shocked at this. Truly shocked.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by stevebintley
One member of crew asked a passenger in row 23, a number of times, to move a bag from the bin to under the seat in front, but she repeatedly refused.
Sounds like it could have been someone from Flyertalk. The "I shouldn't have to put my small bag under the seat if I didn't bring a big bag" seems a pretty common attitude around here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.