Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Upgrade Scam [cost for an advanced seat assignment]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think that the biggest scam success that BA had was getting someone to pay over double the cost to still get an economy seat with an adjacent empty seat
Old May 5, 2019, 5:47 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Bait and switch... a classic scam.

You're baited into paying the upgrade cost assuming the product would include what would normally constitute a business class service (the ability to choose a seat) and then are asked to pay a subsequent fee. Furthermore you’re not entitled to return to your original product when you learn this.

Something doesn’t have to be illegal or regulated against to be a scam, you merely have to consider it dishonest or deceptive.
skywardhunter, Oxnardjan and Thysk like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by amt

You're baited into paying the upgrade cost assuming the product would include what would normally constitute a business class service (the ability to choose a seat) and then are asked to pay a subsequent fee. Furthermore you’re not entitled to return to your original product when you learn this.

Something doesn’t have to be illegal or regulated against to be a scam, you merely have to consider it dishonest or deceptive.
It's not a bait and switch. It's well known that you don't get free seat choice in BA J class.
Cap'n Benj, Tilly71 and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
actually every seat in Club Europe is a scam... middle seat blocked (thanks so much) , but no extra leg room or larger seat then coach
tomvancouver and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:56 am
amt

Originally Posted by Magic01273
So, a "scam" is anything someone doesn't personally deem to be good value now?

In that case, the majority of my regular monthly utility bills and tax obligations fit this definition. Which branch of the police can I report them to please?
Ofcom or Ofgem, Office of the Ombudsman, HMRC
Old May 5, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Words that are over used and annoying: Scam & Hack.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I've dropped to Bronze this year due to a new job etc. And whilst booking my next flight recently I was horrified to see that I'd have to pay for seat selection in Club World. I wasn't prepared to do this and decided to beat BA at their own game........I therefore immediately switched to an F ticket and don't have to pay to select my seats.
Fraser, T8191, MichaelBaku and 4 others like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by amt

I fail to see how this is a scam - Not being bothered to check what a company offers on a business class product does not somehow make it some scam when the company simply provides what was purchased

Where did BA 'bait' that a free seat selection would be provided by paying to upgrade to a higher cabin?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by fotographer
actually every seat in Club Europe is a scam... middle seat blocked (thanks so much) , but no extra leg room or larger seat then coach
In the same theme I find what some US airlines call 'First Class' on domestic flights a deeply deceptive practice. Getting off a BA flight in First and connecting to a domestic First and the difference is huge (& not in a good way).

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 5, 2019 at 6:13 am
Old May 5, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by fotographer
I have no problem [at 6'0"] in Row 1.

It is, of course, incredibly unfair that those of us who fly regularly with oneworld carriers acquire status that allows free seat selection at the time of booking. How dare we derive benefits from our loyalty!
MADPhil, nancypants, Thysk and 2 others like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by amt

So, you weren't baited then... you just assumed something was so, when it wasn't. That in itself is neither deceptive nor dishonest.
T8191, nancypants, etiene and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Blue, Avios, Accor Basic, IHG Gold
To call this a scam is pretty hypocritical.

The only reason these charges exist is because the airline industry is driven by customers who are incapable of considering anything other than the headline price when determining value.

If people thought rationally, they'd consider the whole package of product they're buying and determine value in relation quality, not just overall spend.

I frequently find it cheaper to book BA than Ryanair once I've considered everything I actually need, including things like getting from wherever Ryanair dump me to where I actually want to be and the like.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:51 am
amt

Originally Posted by Magic01273
So, you weren't baited then... you just assumed something was so, when it wasn't. That in itself is neither deceptive nor dishonest.
The product is sold in many places as’ business class’ or an equivalent thereof, it’s more than an assumption, it’s industry standard and an implied covenant that it be suitable or facilitating to conducting business, If I were to book seats with a colleague and we were required to pay a fee to be seated together, that’s neither fit for purpose or as described.

If I we’re to offer, for a surcharge a product sold as ‘express service’ and it was no faster then the standard or to name a product ‘extra leg room’ and it had no more inches above standard. You would consider it a defense to say our version of that service doesn’t actually include those features?

Believe what you like. I side with the OP, it’s a scam.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP simply presumed that he would obtain the seat assignment for free. Rather than researching the costs as he should have, he merrilly clicked away.

Whether it is worth paying for a seat assignment in narrow-body CE is a subjective matter. But, OP apparently thought that it was. So he did.

No scam. Maybe OP simply does not pay attention.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:54 am

You are not required to sit together ( unless one of you is 11 or younger and needs the supervision ) - it is a choice on whether to pay to select seats; if there are adjacent seats available at checkin time , you can sit together

BA is quite clear on its website on its seating policy ; it isn't hidden away in some small print that is easily missed ; it is up to an individual on whether to check whether it is fit for what they want ; it is fit for purpose in that it gets the passenger to destination
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.