Wiki Posts
Search

When do they set the CE curtain?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
When do they set the CE curtain?

I haven't flown BA CE much so sorry if this is a silly question. When do they decide where to position the curtain between CE and ET? If I select a seat further back with no one next to me, despite there being available seats further forward, will they "pack" the cabin by moving the curtain forward, such that I'd be reassigned to an empty seat further forward to fill a row? I'm flying on an A321 (densified) LHR-TXL and would like a window seat, but also would like easy aisle access, so I figure if I select a window further back, maybe I'll get lucky and have the aisle seat remain vacant.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mangoMan
I haven't flown BA CE much so sorry if this is a silly question. When do they decide where to position the curtain between CE and ET? If I select a seat further back with no one next to me, despite there being available seats further forward, will they "pack" the cabin by moving the curtain forward, such that I'd be reassigned to an empty seat further forward to fill a row? I'm flying on an A321 (densified) LHR-TXL and would like a window seat, but also would like easy aisle access, so I figure if I select a window further back, maybe I'll get lucky and have the aisle seat remain vacant.
if the curtain moves forward they won’t move ET passengers just behind it forward too. Instead those new ET seats will just show as available. The danger of the moving curtain is more if you are sat just behind and it moves back so your row has become CE, you will be assigned a new seat further back.
george77300 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
I would add that I have seen the curtain move as late as 2 hours before a flight, though I doubt that’s the record.

Although it can move in both directions, the general trend seems to be that moves back (more CE) are common but moves forward (less CE) are rarer.
george77300 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I have never known ba to mive the curtain to squeeze economy back leaving an empty CE.

However expect the flight to be busy. Most ET cabins are busy. There is no direct alternative to TXL.

If you have no status the chances of you having empty seats beside you are very limited. See the theoretical seating thread.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I have never known ba to mive the curtain to squeeze economy back leaving an empty CE.
Indeed, what I see it that they do try to ensure that at OLCI - and for a period after - the system tries to ensure that CE passengers can select a window or aisle seat, even if that removes that option from ET passengers. At the same time BA does try to ensure it has some ET seating available for sale at the last moment, even if they are middle ones, for last minute purchases. So there isn't a specific policy to ram down ET seating.

Flights generally run quite full on BA, so that's your starting assumption, and you're more likely to end up with an empty middle seat in three places: if there are not many status passengers then exit rows can be good choices - for TXL you can give up on that idea though! Non status passengers would normally have to pay a lot extra to sit there and so that and TS often means the middle exit rows stay empty. The second area is in the final 20% of the aircraft, almost everyone prefers a front seat. Then at T-72 it's often the case that the front 2 or 3 seats which were blocked are opened up, and again TS comes into play to block out middle seats if a Silver or Gold moves to one of those previously blocked rows. However then there is Curtain Roulette that comes into play so it's double jeopardy there.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
I do believe the OP will be selecting a seat in CE but have empty rows in front and wants to know if they move the curtain forward (do they do this?) to enable more ET will they will be moved forward to an empty seat in CE. Its not the usual select a seat close to the CE section and then get moved to the back if they extend CE..
Old May 3, 2019, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
However expect the flight to be busy. Most ET cabins are busy. There is no direct alternative to TXL.
There certainly is with Eurowings!
Old May 3, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Better a curtain than none at all....

Old May 3, 2019, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by SonTech
I do believe the OP will be selecting a seat in CE but have empty rows in front and wants to know if they move the curtain forward (do they do this?) to enable more ET will they will be moved forward to an empty seat in CE. Its not the usual select a seat close to the CE section and then get moved to the back if they extend CE..
This is correct. Basically, if I select a seat at the back of CE (currently row 7) in the hopes I get an empty seat next to me, will it all be for naught as they'll just move the curtain forward to "pack" CE? Flight is next week but I can choose a seat now for free because I have AA Gold (OW Ruby). Also, EF shows row 1 as blocked (for top-elites, I assume) - does this open at OLCI?

Thanks for all your help!
Old May 3, 2019, 10:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Also, EF shows row 1 as blocked (for top-elites, I assume) - does this open at OLCI?
Row 1 may open to you at T-72. Just to make the obvious point - since you say you haven't flown BA much - namely that CE the middle seat will always remain blocked. If you are trying to get 3 seats to yourself then yes you best go further back. It's unlikely the curtain will go forward, but it is a risk, but unless I'm missing something here then it is unlikely you would be any worse off, you could continue to hop around the cabin if necessary.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Row 1 opens to OW Saphire at T-72, although theoretical seating may limit what is available.

Yes if you pick row 7 you are at risk of being moved if the curtain moves forward. Also less likely to get your choice of meal than if you are nearer the front
Old May 3, 2019, 10:39 am

deleted
Old May 3, 2019, 11:07 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Better a curtain than none at all....

My last 3 BA flights have had NO curtain divider between CE and ET, One was from LHR to BLL and the other two were LGW-GOA-LGW on both the outbound and inbound. Is this some sort of the further race to the bottom by BA as it becomes one less thing on the aircraft to maintain and erodes further the difference between CE and ET? The curtain at least provided a small amout of an exclusive feeling and also did prevent some of the loo use up front by all.
lhrpete and Coffeemadman like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
There certainly is with Eurowings!
Good luck flying with those chaps!
Old May 3, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
My last 3 BA flights have had NO curtain divider between CE and ET, One was from LHR to BLL and the other two were LGW-GOA-LGW on both the outbound and inbound. Is this some sort of the further race to the bottom by BA as it becomes one less thing on the aircraft to maintain and erodes further the difference between CE and ET? The curtain at least provided a small amout of an exclusive feeling and also did prevent some of the loo use up front by all.
I had it twice on ex-BMI birds from Gatters recently. I had a conversation with the CSM who told me that 5 were being repaired atm. Someone else mentioned it to her on the same flight and she awarded us both 1,000 avios as service recovery.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.