Community
Wiki Posts
Search

White Tail

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Deltus
Exactly - I don't understand why the OP thinks this is a once-in-a-lifetime event, unless "WhiteTail" means something other than an aircraft with a white tail...
It's used as a term to mean an unsold aircraft coming off the assembly line. This is fairly rare, and happens when a manufacturer wants to keep a line going when they don't have the orders to keep it going.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:29 pm

See them all the time, parked in the deadbeats' lot at Boeing Field.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by chucko
See them all the time, parked in the deadbeats' lot at Boeing Field.
Well, it used to be rare, when every aircraft left the lot fully paid for. Boeing Capital Corp. changed all of that.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by greg5
It's used as a term to mean an unsold aircraft coming off the assembly line. This is fairly rare, and happens when a manufacturer wants to keep a line going when they don't have the orders to keep it going.
Ok... but if the OP meant that definition, were they mistaken? Is there an assembly line at LGW that I'm not aware of?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Was G-LCYY lost?
Yankee Yankee has been in full BA livery for quite some time now.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by greg5

indeed - I happened to be I the BA lounge chatting with an Aviation Lawyer who was excited about it, having never seen one before, either. She explained that it was a rare sight to see one being tested at any of the main airports. I wouldn’t have noticed it had she not been taking pictures!
Old May 2, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAtticus
Is this it? https://www.aeronewstv.com/en/lifest...hite-tail.html
If so don't pay attention to some of these comments above. If you get excited by this good for you and happy plane spotting.
Yes - and thanks the link AAtticus - very interesting.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:11 pm

One of the more prominent of the genre, from three years ago. Last I heard it was in storage at Victorville. There was a rumor that it was short-listed to be one of the new presidential aircraft.

Old May 2, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney

indeed - I happened to be I the BA lounge chatting with an Aviation Lawyer who was excited about it, having never seen one before, either. She explained that it was a rare sight to see one being tested at any of the main airports. I wouldn’t have noticed it had she not been taking pictures!
I highly doubt it was an actual manufacturer owned aircraft being tested. There will be dozens of ACMI aircraft leases operating for various airlines at Gatwick over the summer as usual. Far more likely was a HiFly A340 flying for Norwegian or something like that. Certainly doesn't sound like a once in a lifetime event!

Originally Posted by chucko
One of the more prominent of the genre, from three years ago. Last I heard it was in storage at Victorville. There was a rumor that it was short-listed to be one of the new presidential aircraft.

That particular aircraft was actually moved from Victorville to Lackland Air Force Base in Texas just last Friday for the start of it's fit out as one of the new USAF Presidential aircraft.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
So are you able to tell us what aircraft it was? As I understand it, the Gatwick runway operates close to full capacity during the day, so I'd be surprised if Airbus (or anyone else) was using valuable slot pairs for some "testing"... Why wouldn't they go somewhere quieter?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
TItan has had their 757 at LGW this week.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I have also seen all white aircraft used as RAF charters. This was at YYC, bringing troops to Suffield for training.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:04 am

Was reading this thread yesterday caught by the title but then also thinking ok mildly interesting but not super exciting at the same trying to remember if I had ever seen one knocking around and then of course upon landing into DUB last night a fully white plane parked up at the 300 gates. Certainly does have a moby dick quality about it lined up against some of the more colourful aircraft.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:02 am
Original Poster

So are you able to tell us what aircraft it was? As I understand it, the Gatwick runway operates close to full capacity during the day, so I'd be surprised if Airbus (or anyone else) was using valuable slot pairs for some "testing"... Why wouldn't they go somewhere quieter?
Sorry Deltus, I'm embarrassed to admit that I couldn't tell what type of aircraft it was, though no doubt the person who pointed it out to me would have known. It looked a little like the smaller BA short haul planes. The gist of the conversation was that although you may see them parked up in various places, Its not often that they are seen 'in action' as it were at the major airports. Hence this was deemed an unusual event. I'd certainly never seen one before, so it was nice to learn something new. They do say that travel broadens the mind....
noFODplease likes this.

Last edited by gypsyjaney; May 3, 2019 at 4:10 am
Old May 3, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Airprox
I highly doubt it was an actual manufacturer owned aircraft being tested. There will be dozens of ACMI aircraft leases operating for various airlines at Gatwick over the summer as usual. Far more likely was a HiFly A340 flying for Norwegian or something like that. Certainly doesn't sound like a once in a lifetime event!

That particular aircraft was actually moved from Victorville to Lackland Air Force Base in Texas just last Friday for the start of it's fit out as one of the new USAF Presidential aircraft.
That and the second one were destined for Transaero before they went bust, so the US government bought them off Boeing instead to use as the basis for the new pair of VC-25B's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.