Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The seat vs the rest of the service.

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Airlines have to cater for a wide range of passenger tastes.

We get comments on a fairly regular basis that the BA menu is 'too fancy' and people want 'plain' food.
Might be cultural thing. I've flown BA, AF, and JAL to name two that the comment brought to mind. I don't believe if BA's menu was served on those carriers anyone would be complaining it was "too fancy".
​​​​​​
Old May 1, 2019, 1:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
It would be interesting if BA offered a flat bed without any of the extra service - so no lounge, no champagne etc. Would that product do well?
TG sells their J hard product without the soft product as "premium economy" on their Scandanavian routes. It appears to do decently.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The seat - and most specifically the bed. This is why BA was a world leader 15 years ago, and not so much now.
I still sleep great in CW. If you think it's bad, never try a Delta 767. I switched to Skyteam but will reroute or use KLM 2-2-2 to avoid those crappy 767s.

As to OP's question, it's all about the seat for me.
Thysk likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
It would be interesting if BA offered a flat bed without any of the extra service - so no lounge, no champagne etc. Would that product do well?
I'm sure it would come down to the price, but if I could have a lay-flat for WTP pricing without the CW service, I would definitely.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Firstly, this thread is dangerous - be careful what you wish for / you don’t know what you have ‘til it’s gone! Look at shorthaul and people missing the g&t / cup of coffee. When we had complimentary catering on SH, a lot of people were begging for BoB!

For me, the whole experience is why I book business class. So, it’s absolutely NOT just about the seat. It’s about ‘the service’ - this includes as baseline a good seat, but I also value the flexibility to eat on board or in the lounge. I like being able to have a glass of champagne or a g&t if I fancy it. BUT if the champagne is served warm or in a plastic glass or if I have to ask 3 times for it, it loses appeal - that’s where the service comes in and is the danger of seeing each ‘element’ as discrete. Whatever anyone says, brown shoes do not go with black trousers, and it’s the same with business class - all of the elements combine to make for an overall product and you take bits away and you’re left with something that isn’t really J. The value is in the overall package being more than the sum of the constituent parts IMHO.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm sure it would come down to the price, but if I could have a lay-flat for WTP pricing without the CW service, I would definitely.
BA will soon have plenty of current (soon to be old) CW seats - so maybe use them for PE?
Old May 1, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Generally speaking the seat is the most significant difference between cabins, most certainly between Y and J.

That being said, on a daytime flight service becomes more important to me, where I'm not trying to sleep but want to rather enjoy the service, food, drinks, the ceremony of it all. While seat should still be comfortable it's less important.

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The seat - and most specifically the bed. This is why BA was a world leader 15 years ago, and not so much now.
Nice username
Old May 1, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Air NZ offer exactly that: https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/economy-skycouch
Old May 1, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, EK Gold.
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
That is not really the same product as a lie flat WTP seat.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: JMB, AMC
The seat would be the most important for me.
If airlines would offer more 'no frills' service with a business class type lie flat or angled seat, for something more affordable than current business class prices then I would take that. Jetblue's Mint product is up there, and as much as we dislike Spirit Airlines, I like their 'Big Front Seat' concept. (obviously, US flyer here)
It may be because I'm a flyer who does not drink and would rather be left alone aside from meals and request for assistance that I initiate, I couldn't care less for complimentary alcohol or dedicated personal attention from cabin crew. I just want to get from point A to point B as comfortably as I can.
tenrohle likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, EK Gold.
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
The seat would be the most important for me.
If airlines would offer more 'no frills' service with a business class type lie flat or angled seat, for something more affordable than current business class prices then I would take that. Jetblue's Mint product is up there, and as much as we dislike Spirit Airlines, I like their 'Big Front Seat' concept. (obviously, US flyer here)
It may be because I'm a flyer who does not drink and would rather be left alone aside from meals and request for assistance that I initiate, I couldn't care less for complimentary alcohol or dedicated personal attention from cabin crew. I just want to get from point A to point B as comfortably as I can.
Yes I am always so happy when I board a USA internal flight in 'First' and it's a nice big chair. I'd start paying for Club Europe again if BA had those.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to care about the lounge, the food, the booze on board.......but now it is all about the seat
Old May 1, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
It is the seat of course (aka how much space it occupies on an airplane). There will always be people who’ll think that just because they paid this or that much for a ticket they should get the best food and wines, and it always surprises me as to why people expect culinary delights from an airline rather than a restaurant. While I think it is nice that we get food and drinks in premium cabins, I also think that criticizing airlines for not knowing how to do a steak right (really? steaks? rather than efficiently moving millions of people between places?) or not being imaginative with their menus is completely misplaced.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
For me as with most it is the seat that is the most important. However, there must be a MINIMUM level of service.

After all these years of flying I don't except a lot. But I won't fly UA long haul anymore because of the poor service I continuously get in UA F. No matter what UA does with their F seat I still won't fly them because of the service.

As a benchmark I've had good experiences in AA F (international) and BA F. The worse AA and BA F is still better than the best UA F service I've had.

Lounge is not a big factor at all. In fact, I count it a win if I arrive at the airport, check-in and go through security / immigration and can get to the gate 3 minutes before the start boarding (with NO lounge visit).
Old May 1, 2019, 7:08 pm

Seat First, Evetything Else A Bonus

I would say the seat in Business Class comes first especially in long haul. As my user name implies I'm tall. I really like the lie back seat that KLM has.

I've tried the exit seat in economy on Emirates, and KLM. Even though there is an abundance of leg room by the exit door, you can be constrained by people using that space to que for the loo, or passengers with babies, or passengers using it to streatch their legs, all the above mentioned I don't object to, and I understand why passengers do this.

Add in the competition for the arm rests, business class seats will win me over everytime. I've always had superb staff on Emirates, Singspore Airlines, and in KLM. The food, drinks, entertainment options are all an additional bonus.

But being tall, there is nothing more than I like better than when you turn the seat into a semi bed, or a flat bed in business and catch some sleep. Thus no need to worry about passengers tripping over your feet or getting woken up by them.

Last edited by Giantlonglegs; May 1, 2019 at 7:11 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.