Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Theoretically speaking, if you were stuck at Heathrow...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Theoretically speaking, if you were stuck at Heathrow...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Shame really...I would love to see mats appear on the CCR floor.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Due to snow in Heathrow my last flight back home to Hamburg was canceled. As this was not the only flight canceled it was mayhem in T5 with queues going through the entire terminal.
My friend and I queued in the 1st wing to get rebooked which was finally done at around 11 pm.
They also offered hotel vouchers but the line for the busses and taxis outside stretched also down the entire terminal.
Since we were on the first flight out in the morning it would meant we would have had only 4 hours of sleep in the hotel or so.
We eventually just stayed in the terminal with some drinks (although all shops almost sold out completely).

the fight for power
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:51 am

The variant that interests me, is what happens to people who don’t have permission to enter the UK? Presumably there is a last minute application for an emergency visa of some kind, but presumably someone could be denied this?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
On the occasions where my flight was cancelled/delayed overnight, I make a booking with my preferred hotel (<£200 per night) and then claim back from BA. No queuing and no hanging around waiting in the terminal than absolutely necessary.
SirToby likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Crofton138
On the occasions where my flight was cancelled/delayed overnight, I make a booking with my preferred hotel (<£200 per night) and then claim back from BA. No queuing and no hanging around waiting in the terminal than absolutely necessary.
Does this work in weather related scenarios as well?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjack99
Thanks, folks. It was theoretical. We are heading to Gatwick and it was not BAs fault. My daughter was just curious.

She did make a good point though: the lounges can't possibly stay open all night in these circumstances because all the alcahol would be gone in the morning. That's my girl
I am not sure how old your girl is. But I suspect at some stage in life your comment might come back to haunt you. As I get older the only thing I have learnt is karma is a fact of life..
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SirToby
Does this work in weather related scenarios as well?
Absolutely, although you can't claim EC261 for weather-related delays obviously.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:06 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by mjack99
She did make a good point though: the lounges can't possibly stay open all night in these circumstances because all the alcahol would be gone in the morning. That's my girl
TK lounge in IST stays open 24/7 and yes - I sometimes see folks boozing at 5 am (after arriving from BKK and waiting for my connecting flight) - there is plenty of booze in the lounge, though...
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CD747
The variant that interests me, is what happens to people who don’t have permission to enter the UK? Presumably there is a last minute application for an emergency visa of some kind, but presumably someone could be denied this?
This happened to a colleague; what was meant to be a short connection turned into an overnight stop. He said he was herded, along with another 20 or so people with no paperwork to enter the UK, to a specific part of the terminal (airside) where they were told to make themselves as comfortable as they could until morning.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Though there are plenty of lounges which do stay open 24 hours a day, there aren't any in London, and I can't think of one in the UK either.
Probably because night flights are banned. I live near enough LHR to be conscious of when flights resume, around 5AM.

wg
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by wendyg
Probably because night flights are banned. I live near enough LHR to be conscious of when flights resume, around 5AM.

wg
Night flights at LHR aren’t banned they are just very expensive to land before the morning and after the last night flights and genuinely used only in emergencies, I’ve had a NCL flight diverted to Teeside that arrived at 2am and have left MAN on a delayed BMI flight to LHR at 1am and landed at 1.35am.

There’s actually a lot of people sleep in T5 arrivals mostly on the Costa Seats, backpackers and the homeless the latter who arrive from central London around 2am and depart at 5.30am on the N9 night us which is a typical 75-90 minute journey each way.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Although BA would have a duty of care to accommodate you
Best regulation ever implemented in my opinion.

AF were very good at taking care of us by putting us up in a room on the AF floor of the CDG Sofitel after connecting too late for the EZE flight on each of the three occasions it happened. I did once stay overnight in Venice or Milan train station to catch an early train when I was a skint young backpacker and vowed never again.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
There is security scan of all 3 buildings after the departure of the last flight, and every so often someone will need some guidance about what to do next - there can be language difficulties involved if someone was on a cancelled service. Only a deliberately uncomfortable section of landside Arrivals is kept open 24 hours a day.
A good opportunity to just claim not having a passport. Then there is no real chance to get you landside.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warakorn
A good opportunity to just claim not having a passport. Then there is no real chance to get you landside.
you will be moved landside
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Lifetime Gold, (Fond memories of) SPG Lifetime Plat
Plenty of people sleeping in airports around the world. I've had to do it a few times (thankfully not in the recent past) when a very late arrival and early connection meant a hotel was pointless. American Airlines at T4 in LAX even provide camp beds and blankets. The lucky few can then head off to the rather fine Qantas first class lounge in TBT for breakfast - assuming any Emeralds would be camping out in the first place :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.