Wiki Posts
Search

Advice / Suggestions for AMM & DOH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Advice / Suggestions for AMM & DOH

Hi guys

I’m starting to look at holiday options for early next year and have come across a decent price for flights from DUB-AMM & DOH-DUB (about €1500 in J). The only part of the Middle East I’ve been to was Dubai and while I really enjoyed it, I’m not sure I’d be rushing back

Firstly, does anyone have experience of DOH or AMM. Are they worth visiting? Are they very strict / conservative?

Secondly, as I’ll be transiting LHR both ways, would people suggest DOH first and come back on the daytime A321 from AMM or vice versa. If I do DOH first, the earliest arrival is about midnight which isn’t ideal with most other arrivals about 6am and having never flown QR before, I think I’d prefer to enjoy them on a daytime flight as opposed to a short overnight.

I’m also considering lounges. I’m BA Gold so am I better to stick to BA on the outbound to AMM and then use the QR lounge in DOH or is the lounge BA use in AMM worth a shot?

Finally QR have a mix of metal ex LHR (A350, A380, 777). Any preference of aircraft for a couple in J?

Lots of questions I know but would be grateful for any advice
Thanks as always
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Firstly, does anyone have experience of DOH or AMM. Are they worth visiting? Are they very strict / conservative?
Jordan isn’t particularly conservative. Although Amman itself is relatively interesting it’s not somewhere I would want to stay for more than a day or two on holiday. The big attractions in Jordan are Petra (fantastic), Wadi Rum, Aqaba and the the resorts along the Dead Sea. All of which are varying distances from Amman from an hour and a half to a full day’s travelling.

I’m assuming that AMM can’t be paired in a open jaw without TLV on this fare? This would open up some potentially interesting itineraries depending on if you would be interested in visiting Israel and the OPT.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Check out threads on OW lounges in Doha

Hi guys
I’m also considering lounges. I’m BA Gold so am I better to stick to BA on the outbound to AMM and then use the QR lounge in DOH or is the lounge BA use in AMM worth a shot?

Lots of questions I know but would be grateful for any advice
Thanks as always

If lounge in Doha is important then be sure to use QR. Even OW (BA Gold) Emerald has a separate and very poor lounge. The QR lounges are excellent.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
DOH although pleasant enough is rather dull and couldn’t spend more than a couple of days there.

Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:45 am

I’m also considering lounges. I’m BA Gold so am I better to stick to BA on the outbound to AMM and then use the QR lounge in DOH or is the lounge BA use in AMM worth a shot
If BA use the RJ lounge in AMM I would route back via DOH. The lounge in AMM is enormous but not up to scratch.

Also if the fare is coming out at €1500 have you thought about going to Asia as well and doing a longish stopover in say DOH?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Doha is a fairly interesting place to spend a few days. Not very touristy, fairly conservative, decent food options. There is not an awful lot of things to do, so I wouldn't spend a long time there though.

Amman itself is ok-ish, the appeal is probably more the rest of the country (Petra is amazing, some nice spots along the Jordan, a lot of historic sites). It's rougher than Qatar and the infrastructure is not as good, but shouldn't be a problem.

In terms of lounges DOH is better than AMM.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Also Amman to Heathrow BA flight tends to leave around 0800/0815. So if you are transferring from the city it is an early-ish start and so not the best time to be spending a lot of time in a lounge.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Should I perhaps consider Muscat instead of AMM or DOH?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Thanks for the advice. Should I perhaps consider Muscat instead of AMM or DOH?
I'd consider BEY. Also AUH if you haven't been, some cool stuff to see there
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Agree with skyward hunter about BEY. More cosmopolitan and not neatly as conservative as AMM and DOH, great food and nightlife, beaches and its besutiful. Many historic sights nesrby for day trips. Amm is nothing soecial. Only transited in DOH. BEY to me is better than DXB, AMM and DOH.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BEY is fun in its own right but also gateway to a marvellous country - thousands of years of history, stunning landscape, epic food
AMM is a bit dull, but similarly gateway to a remarkable country to explore from Petra to Jerash, Wadi Rum to the coast
MCT has some interesting parts and Oman is well worth exploring too
DOH. Well you can just about fill 24 hours and there are some very fancy hotels

However it depends on your taste for adventure. Any of the top 3 I would happily go back too (and have done more than once). If I never visited DOH again... it would be just fine.
george77300 and andymcdonnell like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I find Oman a most friendly and interesting place in the Gulf.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
BEY is fun in its own right but also gateway to a marvellous country - thousands of years of history, stunning landscape, epic food
AMM is a bit dull, but similarly gateway to a remarkable country to explore from Petra to Jerash, Wadi Rum to the coast
MCT has some interesting parts and Oman is well worth exploring too
DOH. Well you can just about fill 24 hours and there are some very fancy hotels

However it depends on your taste for adventure. Any of the top 3 I would happily go back too (and have done more than once). If I never visited DOH again... it would be just fine.
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I find Oman a most friendly and interesting place in the Gulf.
I would like to second on these two.

Oman is a really nice place to see and my favourite of the gulf countries. Also I want to echo that BEY is a good place and Jordan as a whole has some lovely places but not necessarily in AMM itself.

Likewise I agree about DOH. Next time you fly on QR maybe to somewhere work in a 24 hour layover in DOH to have a look but I wouldn't spend a holiday really there considering some rather lovely places around in the Gulf. Different for all though of course.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think all 4 locations have good reason to visit, BEY really should be on the list of weekend break locations, it is less conservative than Istanbul. It's got a thriving LGBT community for example, which you're not going to find in Muscat. Getting around the Lebanon is a bit awkward, I suppose, and BEY is surprisingly hilly too, but if you get a on with a particular driver then all the doors will open. Amman and Oman are also laid back, and in the case of Amman there are a lot, huge number of sightseeing options both in the city and nearby. Muscat is not as well developed, but it's the best of the locations for good quality hotels and for a relaxing break. Doha is interesting, it has a downtown area but a lot of development is going on, it's the most modern of these cities. The museums there are filled up with artifacts (having a rich boss helps) and in some ways the Iranian (Wa'qif) Souq is the more accessible of the many available in these cities.

So in a sense I don't think you can go wrong but if it's just a weekend I think BEY is a good one. You will find a number of mini trip reports from recent visitors elsewhere in this forum.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Very helpful as always guys, just why I love the BA forum. I’ll have a look at Beirut too
Duck1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.