FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   No cancellation fee on BA cheapest class (O) cash booking? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1966475-no-cancellation-fee-ba-cheapest-class-o-cash-booking.html)

just_starting Apr 22, 2019 1:52 pm

No cancellation fee on BA cheapest class (O) cash booking?

I was surprised to see that I'd get back £55 of a £75 return booking (£20 being the fare component) when I checked one of my bookings just now.

A change would still cost me £60, but cancelling seems to have no fee element. I seem to remember the cancellation fee also being £60 - is this new? Is it waived for any special circumstances (I can't think of any here)?

corporate-wage-slave Apr 22, 2019 1:57 pm

No, it's not at all new, at least not since carrier surcharges were removed from shorthaul services. The cheaper the ticket the more you get back. I had one ex Porto cancellation, where the fare was 2€, and so that was my entire loss when I shifted the flight to another date. The £60 change fee is normal, rising to £100 /130€ for I class CE fares. Due to sterling's volatility, the actual change cost can currently be lower than this if taxes are shown to have reduced, and it's a return leg.

G fares - for weekend same day tickets, are often cheaper than O.

KARFA Apr 22, 2019 2:03 pm

There may be no cancellation fee as such but usually the conditions say no refunds apart from government & airport taxes. There is usually an online service fee of £15 charged for doing the cancellation but sometimes that isn't charged.

By way of example for a domestic £50 O class one way I happen to be looking at the unrefundable fare component is £17 but the refundable TFC is £33.20. For another example an O class return to GIB I had cost me £75, and the actual fare was £33 so I ended up getting £42 worth of TFC back when I cancelled.

just_starting Apr 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31026287)
There may be no cancellation fee as such but usually the conditions say no refunds apart from government & airport taxes. There is usually an online service fee of £15 charged for doing the cancellation but sometimes that isn't charged.

That's the bit I was confused about - is there any logic behind the "sometimes"? I'm okay with the "apart from government & airport taxes" as my fare element is never more than maybe £20 or £25 and it's usually £50 or £60 taxes...

Davidjonesk Apr 22, 2019 5:00 pm

Who buys O-class? :p :p :p

It’s BA’s way of saying that you need the tiny fare more than them.

just_starting Apr 22, 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Davidjonesk (Post 31026780)
Who buys O-class? :p :p :p

Why would you buy anything else if this gets you an almost fully-flex ticket apparently! :D

Sealink Apr 22, 2019 6:18 pm

The £15 admin fee annoys me because BA are keeping the fare component anyway. But that's the aviation business these days...

Sealink May 29, 2019 11:55 am

Did I kill this thread? 🤣

UKtravelbear May 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Yes. You are The Thread Killer.

wilsnunn Jul 3, 2019 11:50 am

Sorry to reignite this thread, but as it is very much related didn’t want to start a new one.

Owing to an unfortunate change in Mrs Wilsnunn’s work schedule, we have had to alter our upcoming trip to come back a day earlier and from a different city (INV-LHR instead of GLA-LGW). The cost to change the reservation was significantly more than booking new tickets for the return flight so I have done that instead, I think that the taxes on the return flight would have been £24.87 each but I cannot determine whether there is an admin fee for this or not and as I only want to cancel the GLA-LGW booking instead of the whole booking I am not entirely sure how to go about getting the refund for the return leg

corporate-wage-slave Jul 3, 2019 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by wilsnunn (Post 31266037)
Sorry to reignite this thread, but as it is very much related didn’t want to start a new one.

Owing to an unfortunate change in Mrs Wilsnunn’s work schedule, we have had to alter our upcoming trip to come back a day earlier and from a different city (INV-LHR instead of GLA-LGW). The cost to change the reservation was significantly more than booking new tickets for the return flight so I have done that instead, I think that the taxes on the return flight would have been £24.87 each but I cannot determine whether there is an admin fee for this or not and as I only want to cancel the GLA-LGW booking instead of the whole booking I am not entirely sure how to go about getting the refund for the return leg

It's £15 admin fee usually. The agent should be able to do this, alternatively simply use the screens in MMB after taking the outbound service but before the outbound. It will take a week or two before you see the refund amount, via email, unless you've done other things to the ticket previously.

wilsnunn Jul 3, 2019 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 31266268)
It's £15 admin fee usually. The agent should be able to do this, alternatively simply use the screens in MMB after taking the outbound service but before the outbound. It will take a week or two before you see the refund amount, via email, unless you've done other things to the ticket previously.

Thanks so much c-w-s