Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No cancellation fee on BA cheapest class (O) cash booking?

No cancellation fee on BA cheapest class (O) cash booking?

Old Apr 22, 19, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Question No cancellation fee on BA cheapest class (O) cash booking?

I was surprised to see that I'd get back £55 of a £75 return booking (£20 being the fare component) when I checked one of my bookings just now.

A change would still cost me £60, but cancelling seems to have no fee element. I seem to remember the cancellation fee also being £60 - is this new? Is it waived for any special circumstances (I can't think of any here)?
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No, it's not at all new, at least not since carrier surcharges were removed from shorthaul services. The cheaper the ticket the more you get back. I had one ex Porto cancellation, where the fare was 2€, and so that was my entire loss when I shifted the flight to another date. The £60 change fee is normal, rising to £100 /130€ for I class CE fares. Due to sterling's volatility, the actual change cost can currently be lower than this if taxes are shown to have reduced, and it's a return leg.

G fares - for weekend same day tickets, are often cheaper than O.
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There may be no cancellation fee as such but usually the conditions say no refunds apart from government & airport taxes. There is usually an online service fee of £15 charged for doing the cancellation but sometimes that isn't charged.

By way of example for a domestic £50 O class one way I happen to be looking at the unrefundable fare component is £17 but the refundable TFC is £33.20. For another example an O class return to GIB I had cost me £75, and the actual fare was £33 so I ended up getting £42 worth of TFC back when I cancelled.
Anonba likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
There may be no cancellation fee as such but usually the conditions say no refunds apart from government & airport taxes. There is usually an online service fee of £15 charged for doing the cancellation but sometimes that isn't charged.
That's the bit I was confused about - is there any logic behind the "sometimes"? I'm okay with the "apart from government & airport taxes" as my fare element is never more than maybe £20 or £25 and it's usually £50 or £60 taxes...
Old Apr 22, 19, 5:00 pm

Who buys O-class?

It’s BA’s way of saying that you need the tiny fare more than them.
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davidjonesk View Post
Who buys O-class?
Why would you buy anything else if this gets you an almost fully-flex ticket apparently!
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
The £15 admin fee annoys me because BA are keeping the fare component anyway. But that's the aviation business these days...
Old May 29, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Did I kill this thread? 🤣
Old May 29, 19, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Yes. You are The Thread Killer.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jul 3, 19, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Sorry to reignite this thread, but as it is very much related didn’t want to start a new one.

Owing to an unfortunate change in Mrs Wilsnunn’s work schedule, we have had to alter our upcoming trip to come back a day earlier and from a different city (INV-LHR instead of GLA-LGW). The cost to change the reservation was significantly more than booking new tickets for the return flight so I have done that instead, I think that the taxes on the return flight would have been £24.87 each but I cannot determine whether there is an admin fee for this or not and as I only want to cancel the GLA-LGW booking instead of the whole booking I am not entirely sure how to go about getting the refund for the return leg
Old Jul 3, 19, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wilsnunn View Post
Sorry to reignite this thread, but as it is very much related didnít want to start a new one.

Owing to an unfortunate change in Mrs Wilsnunnís work schedule, we have had to alter our upcoming trip to come back a day earlier and from a different city (INV-LHR instead of GLA-LGW). The cost to change the reservation was significantly more than booking new tickets for the return flight so I have done that instead, I think that the taxes on the return flight would have been £24.87 each but I cannot determine whether there is an admin fee for this or not and as I only want to cancel the GLA-LGW booking instead of the whole booking I am not entirely sure how to go about getting the refund for the return leg
It's £15 admin fee usually. The agent should be able to do this, alternatively simply use the screens in MMB after taking the outbound service but before the outbound. It will take a week or two before you see the refund amount, via email, unless you've done other things to the ticket previously.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jul 3, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It's £15 admin fee usually. The agent should be able to do this, alternatively simply use the screens in MMB after taking the outbound service but before the outbound. It will take a week or two before you see the refund amount, via email, unless you've done other things to the ticket previously.
Thanks so much c-w-s

Search this Thread
Search Engine: