Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[F Catering ex-BOM] Take off at 01.55 service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G

I kinda just realized that my return flight from bom leaves at 1.55..
How are they usually handling food?
I will be dead tired but don't really wanna miss all of the new first service?
What's your ways of handling that?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I'd have a snack earlier in the evening, board my flight, tell the crew I'd like to eat as soon as possible after take off, I'd enjoy my dinner, then go to bed
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
First is dine on demand. Simple tell the crew what you want and when you want it.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Scenario 1: Staying in DEL - Ask for, and be prepared to pay for, a v-e-r-y late check-out, get an early evening nap.
Scenario 2: Connecting at DEL - a/ with India Visa - airport or close to ap hotel "day rate" or "normal" rate with early check-in & out
b/ no Visa - ear plugs, eye mask try to sleep in the lounge

I'll give you cred for positive thinking here, you make it sound they have re-invented the wheel with "the new first service"
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you're flying first from BOM, you have access to the dining section of the GVK lounge (the one on the right hand side when you enter the terminal). The food there is imho far better than what BA F offers. I'd eat there, get some sleep on the flight and then when you wake up in the morning either get a main or breakfast depending on how you feel. You can ask the crew to reserve a specific main for you and tell them you're going to eat it in the morning.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mec72
If you're flying first from BOM, you have access to the dining section of the GVK lounge (the one on the right hand side when you enter the terminal). The food there is imho far better than what BA F offers. I'd eat there, get some sleep on the flight and then when you wake up in the morning either get a main or breakfast depending on how you feel. You can ask the crew to reserve a specific main for you and tell them you're going to eat it in the morning.
Thanx for the info about that food section Will def. Check that out.
I was actually very impressed by the little upgrades in service...
But was wondering in general if a flight departing that late actually carries dinner. Or if they would just have breakfast and maybe a lunch service..
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanx for the info about that food section Will def. Check that out.
I was actually very impressed by the little upgrades in service...
But was wondering in general if a flight departing that late actually carries dinner. Or if they would just have breakfast and maybe a lunch service..
As I recall it's dinner and breakfast. First is less affected than other cabins for these Middle East and Subcontinent flights, they will do end to end catering if you want it, it's not like the night snack and breakfast bite further back. So the service is there, it's up to you to sort out tactics as to whether to be awake for it or not.
Vasco Pridat and jonkx like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, it’s both dinner and breakfast on BA’s night departure from BOM. That always puzzles me a bit - do people really eat dinner at 2:30am at home?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:05 am

Yes, it’s both dinner and breakfast on BA’s night departure from BOM. That always puzzles me a bit - do people really eat dinner at 2:30am at home?
But it’s only actually 9pm ‘at home’.
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
Not usually. But if you treat on-board time as simulating time at destination, your flight begins at 20.00h at destination so you are offered a late supper followed by sleep, then breakfast in arrival in UK. I think that's the logic.

Personally I don't sleep too well after a full meal so I just pick something digestible from the menu, viz. starter + a few glasses of LPGS. (And I pass on breakfast too because I like the CCR b'fast with kippers). Though given the choice I opt for the morning departure.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
I came back from DXB BA106 in First. Take off was 01:30. I just politely refused the menu, I had some nice food in the Concorde bar at DXB a drink or two around 23:00. Went to sleep on the plane woke and had a full breakfast. Sleep on an overnighter is more important for me.
The round trip was my first time in BA first. I have done other airlines. I was more than pleased, especially consider the great price I paid during the BA sale in January. I will certainly use them again.
flygirl68 likes this.

Last edited by Thighsofsteel; Apr 20, 2019 at 2:48 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The catering situation is easy in F. It is harder in the back where there has to be a decision as to what the meals are.

No perfect solutions for any odd hours multi time-zone flight.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Question is.. How early can I drop my bag and check in? I see they have a 1pm flight.. But if I get to the airport at 9 for dinner in the lounge... Will there be a check in agent? Or the usual 3h ahead.. Which would be like 10.30? Brrr
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Question is.. How early can I drop my bag and check in? I see they have a 1pm flight.. But if I get to the airport at 9 for dinner in the lounge... Will there be a check in agent? Or the usual 3h ahead.. Which would be like 10.30? Brrr
I suspect it is 3 hours, but the way to find out is to go to Manage My Booking / Check-in / Other ways to check-in; it should give specific advice there.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:11 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Excellent info!

I am doing a LAX-LHR-BOM same-day turn mileage run next month on this route in J but I’ve upgraded TO F with Avios on LHR-BOM-LHR on this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.