Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA100: New Flower Duet theme as re-engineered by the BA Orchestra

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Well, there won't be many airlines able to do this.

There is a new video on BA's Youtube channel, featuring the BA Orchestra, a long standing social club of BA staff, with some external players too. Delibes Lakmé "Flower Duet" has been re-engineered by a member of BA's staff to encompass 100 bars, and then performed (in Waterside by the looks of it) by the BA Orchestra.

Here is the hyperlink for the full screen version:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rsTk2AZI9k
The Media Centre has a complex press release on the subject, below for the record.

British Airways - BRITISH AIRWAYS ENGINEER RE-IMAGINES FAMOUS MUSICAL THEME FROM ?LAKMÉ? TO MARK AIRLINE?S CENTENARY

BRITISH AIRWAYS ENGINEER RE-IMAGINES FAMOUS MUSICAL THEME FROM ‘LAKMÉ’ TO MARK AIRLINE’S CENTENARY
April 17, 2019

Flower Duet theme from Delibes’ opera Lakmé reimagined to reflect British Airways’ history, in the airline’s centenary year

Music composed by British Airways’ quality engineer Lyndon Ooi whose day job involves checking that British Airways’ aircraft are fit to fly from a technical perspective

The music features a number of distinctive characteristics which reflect key moments in the airline’s history

Music was performed by the British Airways Orchestra made up of 30 British Airways colleagues and some external musicians.

Wednesday April 17, 2019 – To mark its centenary British Airways has released a new composition based on the famous piece of music, Flower Duet, which featured in Delibes’ opera Lakmé.

The original version of the music will also be recognisable as it has featured in a number of adverts from across the airline’s history, and is also played in the cabin during boarding.

The new version has been composed by Lyndon Ooi – a quality engineer at British Airways – whose day job involves checking that British Airways’ aircraft are fit to fly from a technical perspective.

The reworked composition is made up of 10 variations representing 10 significant milestones in British Airways’ history. It rises, falls, speeds up and slows down to moments including the formation of Imperial Airways, the introduction of the new jet age, Concorde’s farewell and the opening of Heathrow Terminal 5.

A full video of the music being performed by the British Airways Orchestra, made up of 30 British Airways colleagues including Lyndon, can be seen [above].

Other characteristics of the piece include:

* Years are used as bar numbers starting from 1919, the year Air Transport and Travel, the forerunner to British Airways, was formed

* The theme has been deliberately transposed from B major to G major so that the first two notes of the flower duet theme are “B” and “A” representing British Airways

* In variation IV, the BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation) version is “B”, rest, “A”, “C”. The Cello plays “B”, “E”, “A” (representing British European Airways) against this. Both BOAC and BEA merged to form the current ‘British Airways’ customers know today

* The time signature of 7/4 in the bar 1971 represents the inaugural flight of British Airways’ first 747.

* The Concorde theme in bar 1976 - the year of is the aircraft’s first commercial flight - involves climbing up two octaves and back down signifying its ability to reach the speed of Mach 2 (supersonic speed)

* The end of the piece involves the entire current British Airways fleet of aircraft being represented by numbers on the diatonic scale. For example, 787 (the Dreamliner) and 320 (a popular short-haul aircraft) are on trills. As a look to the future, 350 comes in the final bar representing the A350 British Airways will receive later this year

Lyndon Ooi, the composer behind the music who works as an engineer, said: “Music has been a passion all of my life – much like the excitement of flying and the experience of travel it communicates with people and speaks straight to their hearts. It was a real challenge to fit the entire 100-year history of British Airways into the piece but I’m really happy with the final result. And what a pleasure it was to perform it with my colleagues in the British Airways Orchestra.”

A film of Lyndon explaining his thinking behind the music can be seen below:

In its centenary year, British Airways is hosting a range of activities and events. The airline is hosting BA 2119 - a programme, which will lead the debate on the future of flying and explore the future of sustainable aviation fuels, the aviation careers of the future and the customer experience of the future.

The airline will be working with expert partners to identify BA’s 100 Modern Britons; the people up and down the country who are currently shaping modern Britain, and of course, the year would not be complete without creating some special moments for customers – on and off board.

The centenary activity is taking place alongside the airline’s current five-year £6.5bn investment for customers. This includes the installation of the best quality WiFi and power in every seat, fitting 128 long-haul aircraft with new interiors and taking delivery of 72 new aircraft. Last month the airline also revealed its highly-anticipated new business class seat - 'Club Suite' - and confirmed it will arrive on the first of its A350 aircraft in July.

A link to the British Airways Orchestra Facebook page can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/britishairwaysorchestra/

ENDS
Ooi's report on Cloudfront:

https://d1btjlf89lsb3b.cloudfront.ne...1555488483.mp4
JAXBA, layz, golfmad and 14 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it very much (really!).

Now is there any chance anyone is going to re-engineer the safety video?
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
I also enjoyed it. Will this be found on-board in the near future? There is also a glaring mistake. In Variation X, one of the Dreamliners has the registration G-VIIN which is found on a 777.

Last edited by tedcruz; Apr 17, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Fantastic; even better if they had changed the music style through the ages
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
A horrible idea as far as im
concerned. I thoroughly dislike the concept of ‘adapting’ classical music and rewriting it. It includes both the version currently used and this. Leave the Flower duet alone, it is just a lot more beautiful as Delibes composed it. I have no doubt, however, that I’ll be a very small minority here.

PS: I like the idea of BA staff performing though! Just wish it was the actual air.
PPS: why no image of an A380 (unless I've missed it?). It is my favourite BA bird! It would also be nice to feature some of the subsidiaries within the BA family, the unique offerings such as CWLCY, and BMI among the historical ones.

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 19, 2019 at 1:28 am Reason: My phone had changed "Duet" into "Diet". Talk about revionism!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:12 pm

This is pretty cool. I like it when employees (at any firm) are encouraged to show their talents beyond their job scope.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Is it me or did the chap playing the French horn in variation VI look a heck of a lot like David Cameron?

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed that.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
A horrible idea as far as im
concerned. I thoroughly dislike the concept of ‘adapting’ classical music and rewriting it. It includes both the current version used and this. Leave the Flower diet alone it is just a lot more beautiful as Delibes composed it. I have no doubt, however, I’ll be a very small minority here.

PS: I like the idea of BA staff performing though! Just wish it was the actual air.
I'm with you on this as I'm a conservative when it comes to change in relation to the classical version. However, overall I think this is an excellent piece of PR work. Love the clip of Sir Winston. Am currently reading the Roy Jenkins biography of him and am amazed at the amount of time he spent flying and away from the UK during the war.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by golfmad
I'm with you on this as I'm a conservative when it comes to change in relation to the classical version. However, overall I think this is an excellent piece of PR work. Love the clip of Sir Winston. Am currently reading the Roy Jenkins biography of him and am amazed at the amount of time he spent flying and away from the UK during the war.
Fully agree with you!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think the music is great to listen to but the embedded numerology strikes me as a bit weird and superstitious. Will they be issuing 100-year commemorative runestones?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:17 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
I think everyone involved in this should be congratulated. I got goosebumps at Variation II.
Obviously it's PR but if you enjoy watching it, it's a win-win.
Also been enjoying some of the recent JAL adds, very classy.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:28 am

Brought tears to my eyes!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:12 am
Suspended

I was expecting a fart sound, tbh. Would sum up BA.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by simonrp84
I was expecting a fart sound, tbh. Would sum up BA.
Classy. Hope that made you feel better.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
A horrible idea as far as im concerned. I thoroughly dislike the concept of ‘adapting’ classical music and rewriting it. It includes both the version currently used and this. Leave the Flower duet alone, it is just a lot more beautiful as Delibes composed it. I have no doubt, however, that I’ll be a very small minority here.
OT, but just think what we'd be missing if this were applied strictly. For example, could Pictures at an Exhibition only ever be in the form of a piece for solo piano? Would we never have had Jan Sandström's extraordinarily atmospheric Es ist ein Ros entsprungen?
gustavmahler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.