Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Last minute dash to NYC - compassionate fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last minute dash to NYC - compassionate fare?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by flatlander
I can see Avios availability LHR-EWR in economy on both flights tomorrow (14 April) and in premium economy on the later flight.
20k Avios and £251.

Then book a return flight to get back, with the return of the return (if you see what I mean) dated well into the future. Either change it to a suitable time and reuse it, or cancel and ask for taxes back (if any).
Beware that NYC/LON returns are typically a fair bit more expensive than LON/NYC.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Once again, this forum has been nothing short of remarkable. I never thought of even checking the Avios availability at this late stage. As Mrs PAL62V is a US citizen, I was able to grab her one of the reward seats for a one way flight for 20,000 + £251 tax. Possibly the best use of Avios I have ever had and a huge saving. Plus she now has the flexibility of coming back when she likes as we have no idea of what is going to happen once she's there.

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions, especially @strickers and @flatlander for their inspiration. You are all a great community.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Once again, this forum has been nothing short of remarkable. I never thought of even checking the Avios availability at this late stage. As Mrs PAL62V is a US citizen, I was able to grab her one of the reward seats for a one way flight for 20,000 + £251 tax. Possibly the best use of Avios I have ever had and a huge saving. Plus she now has the flexibility of coming back when she likes as we have no idea of what is going to happen once she's there.

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions, especially @strickers and @flatlander for their inspiration. You are all a great community.
It may be worth pricing up a return even if you set the return date for 11 months time. This will be significantly cheaper than finding a one way back from US. If you do it now you can change dates later for a small change fee.

Edit. Just looked and it is 40k and £263 for the return. A oneway from EWR is 20k and £155

PAL62V likes this.

Last edited by madfish; Apr 13, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Delta and Luftansa have bereavement fairs - but has to be for deceased person
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gadot
The DL fares generally aren't discounted by much (depending of course on whether lower fare classes are available) but they offer flexibility in changing the return date.
trooper, PAL62V and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The DL fares generally aren't discounted by much (depending of course on whether lower fare classes are available) but they offer flexibility in changing the return date.
When I last used it about 10 years ago, it was 50% less than internet rate
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Gadot
for Lufthansa you need to book a week in advance.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by madfish
It may be worth pricing up a return even if you set the return date for 11 months time. This will be significantly cheaper than finding a one way back from US. If you do it now you can change dates later for a small change fee.

Edit. Just looked and it is 40k and £263 for the return. A oneway from EWR is 20k and £155
However, what if there is no award availability for the actual desired return date? By that stage, the inbound half of the award ticket can no longer be refunded. Then the OP would either have manufacture another trip around the notional return date or some other time when there is availability, or throw away the return half. It may be that in present circumstances, there would be a good chance that the "spare" inbound half can be used at some other future date. But this would be worth thinking about before jumping into buying a round-trip ticket now, because it's not worth the "saving" on TFC if half the ticket ends up being thrown away.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While UA does not offer a bereavement fare, it will, with proper documentation, waive change fees to shift the return without regard to fare bucket availability. In situations such as this, the ability to have some flexibility can be worth a lot more than a smallish discount.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
While UA does not offer a bereavement fare, it will, with proper documentation, waive change fees to shift the return without regard to fare bucket availability. In situations such as this, the ability to have some flexibility can be worth a lot more than a smallish discount.
....which is precisely what happened this week. Mrs PAL62V was stateside and had to alter her UA return flight on a non-flex ticket, again due to her mother's precarious state. UA made the change, charged a $300 fee and advised what she needed to do to get the fee refunded. With the correct paperwork she submitted the claim on Tuesday and it was approved on Friday. I know this is the BA forum but I have to say we were overawed with UA's service.

I was looking to book them again this evening until the suggestion upthread of using Avios, which has been amazing value.

Just looking at some possible return dates, I can get her on a o/way flight (probably UA or codeshare) for well under £300. Even if it's £400, that plus the £250 taxes we just paid makes the whole trip still cheaper than having to have booked a return with the hassle of maybe having to change the return flight.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
However, what if there is no award availability for the actual desired return date? By that stage, the inbound half of the award ticket can no longer be refunded. Then the OP would either have manufacture another trip around the notional return date or some other time when there is availability, or throw away the return half. It may be that in present circumstances, there would be a good chance that the "spare" inbound half can be used at some other future date. But this would be worth thinking about before jumping into buying a round-trip ticket now, because it's not worth the "saving" on TFC if half the ticket ends up being thrown away.
Whilst strictly true, you are hedging your bets. The difference is £12 plus 13 or 20k avios and change fee (£35?) compared to £155 plus 13 or 20k avios.

If there is no availability to switch to a chosen day you are down £12 and some avios. If there is you have saved £108.

Worth bearing in mind that there is at least 1 Y seat on flights from New York on 326 days in the coming 355 and BA will often release some in the days before should availability allow..
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Just a somewhat-related data point. My wife was on a BA award visiting her sick mother and due to return from Europe to Asia on Monday midday. Her mother passed away Sunday night. In theory, no possibility to postpone the award as it was well within the 24h window.
I called HK call center (Monday morning HK time) and the agent was very understanding, did not ask for supporting document (it would have been impossible to get an official death certificate at that time) and moved the award by a week. Even no mention of change fee.
DYKWIA, PAL62V, stephenjc and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.