Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unable to select a seat in First (and puzzled)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club

Hi All! First time posting here but a long time lurker. I'm travelling a fair bit between BOS and LHR - just booked BA215 in May in First, and I'm unable to select a seat (despite getting a "choose your seat" on the BA website, they are all grayed out an undetectable). It's a 787 so a smaller cabin than usual. A call to the Gold line was unhelpful - I was told it's a very busy flight and wait until check in or I'm at the airport! Since I'm paying myself for the ticket I'll be a bit miffed if I'm downgraded! Is this common? Anyone else experienced this?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
1A and 1K will be blocked for Golds. Not sure if you are Gold or not. The map will clear...
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Sealink - I'm a Gold, but every seat is grayed out and I can't select any of them....
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by theflyingscientist
Thanks Sealink - I'm a Gold, but every seat is grayed out and I can't select any of them....
Date and flight number?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Airprox - BA215 on May 16th....
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I had exactly the same problem with flights to Mexico. Says 3 seats available, asks me to choose seats but only 1 available to choose. Row 1 greyed out despite being available, and we are gold and were logged in.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

ExpertFlyer shows all seats taken for that flight, so it appears overbooked at this point. It is not unusual for First and Club passengers to change their IAD reservations at the last minute, there is every chance a seat will open up.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings and welcome to Flyertalk (and indeed greetings from Bay Village in my case). Welcome to the BA forum theflyingscientist

That flight has all seats taken at the moment, though that may change over time. The selling fare classes are:
F0 Z0 J9 C9 D8 R7 I3 U0 W8 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 N9 O9 G9

I am presuming it is just one seat on your reservation but at the moment you're probably waiting for someone to shift to another service or to cancel. If this persists for much longer I would perhaps ring up YouFirst and see if they will move you to one of the 3 others services (one of which is the A380) since they currently have seats.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Back in 2017 I had a similar issue on the 787 F to Toronto

No F seats available to choose from ( BA93 LHR-Toronto) 24th August

and had to wait to get to the airport for a seat assignment ( and even then it involved a call from the check in agent) ( Got 1 E )

Not sure if this is a similar case but sounds potentially like it could be.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks to you both!

T_B_S it does indeed sound similar. It feels a little annoying to me that the F cabin is effectively oversold. I'd rather have been told it was full at the point of booking and made a different choice of cabin or flight.... I kind of assumed that booking in F would make things less stressful rather than more :-)

It's not terribly convenient for me to take an earlier flight and the last flight out gets in to Boston very late. So I guess that I'll have to play a game of chicken (or see if I can shift my meetings around in London)

Thanks for your time - flyingscientist
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:49 am

I am surprised that BA still oversell by one seat even in an 8 seat F cabin - which is around half the size of the 12/14/17 seat cabins on their other aircraft.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:44 am
Original Poster

So I guess the question is what happens if everyone shows up? Musical chairs while the safety video plays?

Any idea on the protocol in this case?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

I think a couple on my flight were paged in the ccr and were talking to a ba staff member as I popped to the reception desk as I thought my name had been paged.
I think there might have been a downgrade offer involved

Regards

Tbs

​​
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
This happened frequently last year when I was back and forth to DXB for a few months for work.

I was only downgraded once, however at least two instances the agent when I checked in would say "wow you weren't downgraded...must be because you checked in online and maybe your status (GGL)" so while weird, it seemed to me, plus what others note on this board, that checking in 24hrs in advance may help you as well.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
This happened frequently last year when I was back and forth to DXB for a few months for work.

I was only downgraded once, however at least two instances the agent when I checked in would say "wow you weren't downgraded...must be because you checked in online and maybe your status (GGL)" so while weird, it seemed to me, plus what others note on this board, that checking in 24hrs in advance may help you as well.
Apologize for what is probably a BA 101 question, but does status on AA help against downgrades, or must it be on BA? We have a FC flight soon, but do have a seat reserved.

Last edited by Mickidon; Apr 5, 2019 at 5:55 am Reason: Type

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.