Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Easy way to search for any avios upgrade flights to US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA

I've had a read through the advice, but I'm still a bit confused. Long story short I will be flying out to the US in June/July time with work. Work will pay for a WT+ flight. I have about 300,000 avios so I thought it would be sensible to use them to upgrade to business class. Now I have a few questions for regarding this.
1. Considering work is paying for my base fare I assume it's sensible to upgrade using my avios. Am I correct?
2. As it's booked through the work travel agent, am I then able to pay any differences (I assume taxes?) off my own credit card or will it go through the work one (which is obviously a big no no)?
3.Now the important question: It doesn't really matter which airport I fly into (anywhere West of Houston will do ) and I'm fairly flexible on dates, is there an easy way to just find any flights with upgrade availability? Or will i have to manually go through each flight option to multiple airports?
4. Am I limited to BA or can I upgrade on AA too?

Thanks for any insight.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Really easy search site :

https://rewardflightfinder.com/
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Use this website. It's just about as easy as it gets.

You can set up alerts too!

https://rewardflightfinder.com
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by biertje
I've had a read through the advice, but I'm still a bit confused. Long story short I will be flying out to the US in June/July time with work. Work will pay for a WT+ flight. I have about 300,000 avios so I thought it would be sensible to use them to upgrade to business class. Now I have a few questions for regarding this.
1. Considering work is paying for my base fare I assume it's sensible to upgrade using my avios. Am I correct?
2. As it's booked through the work travel agent, am I then able to pay any differences (I assume taxes?) off my own credit card or will it go through the work one (which is obviously a big no no)?
3.Now the important question: It doesn't really matter which airport I fly into (anywhere West of Houston will do ) and I'm fairly flexible on dates, is there an easy way to just find any flights with upgrade availability? Or will i have to manually go through each flight option to multiple airports?

Thanks for any insight.
1. I suppose it also depends on wheather it's a day or night flight. I will happily stay in WT+ for day and CW for night flights. Given you can upgrade to CW in any WT+ fare class then yeah quite sensible.
2. There will be difference in taxes and I think you need to pay £100 or so ex-LHR to upgrade. Unsure about the return sector tho. You surely can pay using your own card.
3. On BA website there is a button to feel availbility by month. Just search as normal and the option will appear on the results page!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
If you prefer a robot to do the search for you and be able to save the resutls for free then use https://award.flights/!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Perfect thanks for the tips all
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
One rarely quoted alternative is the reward Reward Flight Finder on the BA App. One of the advantages over rewardflightfinder.com is that you're able to see all the cities in one go. Click on the hamburger in the BA App and select Reward Flights. Touch Go under Reward Flight Finder and put in your search criteria (e.g. From London to North America, the month in question and your preferred cabin). Touch Find Flights and see the cities with availability.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
One rarely quoted alternative is the reward Reward Flight Finder on the BA App. One of the advantages over rewardflightfinder.com is that you're able to see all the cities in one go. Click on the hamburger in the BA App and select Reward Flights. Touch Go under Reward Flight Finder and put in your search criteria (e.g. From London to North America, the month in question and your preferred cabin). Touch Find Flights and see the cities with availability.
Never seems to work for me!

rb211.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by RB211
Never seems to work for me!

rb211.
What goes wrong for you? I've not had a problem with it.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:43 am

What goes wrong for you? I've not had a problem with it.
"Sorry, Flight Finder cannot be accessed at the moment."
"Please try again later"
And an "OK" button.

rb211.
TTmex likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
This is really helpful, thank you. Im assuming you have to call to upgrade? The website says no, even though there is reward availability.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rpjepson
This is really helpful, thank you. Im assuming you have to call to upgrade? The website says no, even though there is reward availability.
Bookings through my company travel agent always show as eligible for upgrading with Avios (provided there is availability) but then fails after taking payment information. I then call BA and tell them that I get an error and they can sort it by changing something on the ticket.

Some travel agents may book under special deals that do not permit Avios upgrades but if you call up BA, they can tell you whether or not it is possible.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by biertje
You are limited to BA flights as your original booking will be made through a travel agent. There can't be flights by any other carrier either (for example, AA domestic flights) as it will make upgrading BA flights impossible.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by RB211
"Sorry, Flight Finder cannot be accessed at the moment."
"Please try again later"
And an "OK" button.

rb211.
I must be one of the lucky ones then
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I must be one of the lucky ones then
I agree that it's a really useful feature of the app (I'm on Android) and not as well known as it could be. The ability to search areas or countries at one go is very helpful I find.

It usually works for me, I occasionally get the error reported by RB211 but it seems to go away and return to working in due course - certainly I've never done anything to fix it, such as reinstall etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.