Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

YVR-NRT with JL for 150k Avios a good redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

It's been suggested that YVR-NRT for 50k Avios on JL is a good deal. The unfortunate part is that the tax is about C$261.80. The tax alone is roughly 1/3 the price of cash fare. I'm really not sure if this is a good redemption.

I looked at the J-fare for YVR-NRT, but that requires 150k Avios. The taxes is also 261.80. The cash fare is about C$6800 at the moment. However, the amount of Avios required for this trip seems a bit excessive. I do have Avios to use, but I do want to get some good value out of whatever redemption I pick.

What do you guys think?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
You might want to check on the JL board but I think that JL used to use their worst J product on the route. That might have changed though
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
You might want to check on the JL board but I think that JL used to use their worst J product on the route. That might have changed though
Apparently JL will use a better J product in June so any earlier flights will be in the inferior product. Even if it's a newer product, what do you think of using 150k Avios for that flight? Not sure how many people redeem Avios on the JL board.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Avios redemptions are distance based, not airline/product/route based.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I‘ve thought before of using Avios on that route to try out JL but being in Toronto I‘d need to get to Vancouver so have decided to spend Avios on a JL F redemption sometime in the future from LHR
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Last I flew this route on Avios it was angle-flat seats, unless you're Avios rich I'm not sure it's worth it at 150K Avios.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
Last I flew this route on Avios it was angle-flat seats, unless you're Avios rich I'm not sure it's worth it at 150K Avios.
Since Avios allow me to book for each direction, maybe try Y and J for each direction for a total of 100k Avios? Your comment kind of re-affirmed what I was thinking. Not sure which direction I should fly J though.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by lsquare

I looked at the J-fare for YVR-NRT, but that requires 150k Avios. The taxes is also 261.80. The cash fare is about C$6800 at the moment. However, the amount of Avios required for this trip seems a bit excessive. I do have Avios to use, but I do want to get some good value out of whatever redemption I pick.
Cash vs. Avios there seem pretty good to me, provided you are actually prepared to pay cash to do that trip (rather than being something optional) and thus representing an actual saving, rather than a notional one?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I personally prefer to use ba points for short haul flights to and from HK at the last minute, but I occasionally do jfk-yvr in J. Cash fares to and from Asia are pretty cheap these days.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Since Avios allow me to book for each direction, maybe try Y and J for each direction for a total of 100k Avios? Your comment kind of re-affirmed what I was thinking. Not sure which direction I should fly J though.
If you do that I'd fly J NRT-YVR as it's overnight. Y westbound is fine.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
On a relative scale, the flights on JL out of YVR are usually the cheapest in J to Asia from NA, sometimes in the low $2k range. Which, for some is a lot and others a good deal to get west, depends how you value the Avios verse actual cash for this flight.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you are based in Vancouver, you only have poor options for spending your Avios.

However it is entirely personal as to whether you believe that a Y --> J upgrade is worth the extra 100k Avios. Some people want fewer luxury trips using miles. Others want more trips and/or must consider the cost of taking the entire family.

I would do it every single time. Moreover I would look for a JAL F route and position there separately, although to be fair I would be using AS miles instead of Avios.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
If you do that I'd fly J NRT-YVR as it's overnight. Y westbound is fine.
I'm leaning on going down that road. This might even increase the chance that I'll get the superior J product on the way back. I can try both JL's Y and J product for that route. I'll make a decision in the next couple of hours.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you are based in Vancouver, you only have poor options for spending your Avios.

However it is entirely personal as to whether you believe that a Y --> J upgrade is worth the extra 100k Avios. Some people want fewer luxury trips using miles. Others want more trips and/or must consider the cost of taking the entire family.

I would do it every single time. Moreover I would look for a JAL F route and position there separately, although to be fair I would be using AS miles instead of Avios.
I don't have enough AS miles to do a JL F yet. Furthermore, I don't have time to even book a positioning flight to do this. I also doubt I can book a JL F product this late. I intend to go to Tokyo soon.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't have enough AS miles to do a JL F yet. Furthermore, I don't have time to even book a positioning flight to do this. I also doubt I can book a JL F product this late. I intend to go to Tokyo soon.
My problem with BA points is that J costs 2x Y and F costs 3x Y. While this is an okay deal for shortish flights, especially when cash copays are offered, the numbers don't pencil on transpacs these days when cash fares are CHEAP.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.