Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2019 World Airport Survey : LHR T5 voted World’s Best Terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 World Airport Survey : LHR T5 voted World’s Best Terminal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by CCayley
Hmmm... IMHO T5 isn't even the best terminal at Heathrow (T2 is far better), let alone the world.
Nah T2, for the average, no status passenger, actually sucks.. Not enough food options for us lowly people and the walk from one end of the place to the other (i was on a united flight) felt like miles.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I think to regular T5 travellers we see every single flaw, whilst I might raise a dismissive eyebrow when I saw T5 as the best terminal, however the more I think the more I can see some logic, security is always efficient and queues for check in are usually only long during the peak of school holidays.

I read posts mentioning that it is not clean or that baggage delivery is long, I've always found T5 to be always clean (I suppose cleanliness is somewhat subjective) and I've never had to wait really long for bags, at least nothing compared to any American super hub and above average globally by my reckoning.

T5 biggest vote for me is the shorter distances for walking, the 'in the round' style just makes everywhere quick to get too, even including the train or walkway.

I personally find HKG not to be any better than T5 and you have to walk further for gates and I haven't been through SIN enough to comment enough.

Bare in mind I don't really take into consideration shopping or restaurants much, although I sometimes wish T5 had a KFC or BK or McD's, sometimes after a crap day I want some legal heroine junk food.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by CCayley
Hmmm... IMHO T5 isn't even the best terminal at Heathrow (T2 is far better), let alone the world.
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
I

Bare in mind I don't really take into consideration shopping or restaurants much, although I sometimes wish T5 had a KFC or BK or McD's, sometimes after a crap day I want some legal heroine junk food.

I would LOVE it if they had something like that.. or even a Nandos.. the Nandos at gatwick is ALWAYS full.
Leaping_Deere likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
All subjective.

Different people like different thing and have different experiences.

These polls and votes are pretty pointless, apart from generating 33 posts of internet waffle on a bulletin board.
PUCCI GALORE and DoctorCopper like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
The free kids' softplay area at T5 is fantastic. It occupies waiting time, reduces others getting irritated by children in the lounges and tires them out before the flight ahead. People travelling without children may not think they benefit from it, but they really do!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
All subjective.

Different people like different thing and have different experiences.

These polls and votes are pretty pointless, apart from generating 33 posts of internet waffle on a bulletin board.
Of course... when we all know that MAN is the best airport in the UK anyway

https://mediacentre.manchesterairpor...year-in-a-row/
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Oh that's just ridiculous

MAN T3 is an overcrowded zoo with poor security set up, appalling lack of space by the gates, narrow corridors with regular delays to accessing the departures area due to other passengers deplaning, dreadful Wifi, demotivated staff, etc. etc. etc.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Best terminal at Heathrow? Maybe, but T2..... But that's not saying much. Best terminal in the world? Not a snowballs chance in hell that T5 is the best in the world....
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

I almost spat out my rosé reading this. MAN’s schmoozing budget must be considerable. I’ve been to MAN once, T2 in Aug, and it was enough to make me long for a summer holiday Sat at LGW.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Having BAEC Silver and Star Alliance Gold, I can genuinely say that almost every aspect of T2 is streets ahead of T5. The placement of Priority Check In, the *Gold Priority Security, the relative emptiness of the place (you can walk fast, rather than fight Oxford Street type shopping crowds) and the lounges are all much, much nicer.
Stewie Mac and chisquared like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Originally Posted by krispy84

Have to disagree. Airside it’s quite nice, landside however, is dated and depressing. I rate T5 definitely higher than TBIT.

Connecting with onward domestic flights from Bradley at LAX is a miserable experience. Personally I prefer our PDX airport to any of them. Powell's bookstore, Voodoo donuts, live music, a movie theater and a fabulous carpet on the floor. So how about it BA? Come to PDX and put in a nice lounge. Make yourselves at home.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:32 pm
soy

Programs: various
T5 is a decent terminal, but no way the worlds best.
Skytrax have no credibility and their ratings are a joke. Afterall they gave LH a 5 star ranking based on a business product that is not in a single plane yet.
By that logic BA should be a 5 Star also since the new ClubSuite looks better than the LH seat
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
Changi I'm sure would be No1 if they got rid of the awful carpet
That carpet is truly awful! Getting off a 13 hour flight with jet lag it made me feel completely disoriented!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty

really don’t understand these comments as a UK (european) citizen the auto gates work fine and you are through within a few mins.
Wait till this kicks in (pencilled in for mid-May) and you may change your tune...
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...more-countries

It will also include Singapore and South Korea.

All those travellers who have never flown before completely unable to figure out which way up to put their passport into the reader. It's going to be awesome.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I really like T5 as I think it performs strongly on almost all criteria that you're looking for in an airport terminal (with the notable exception of the shopping options which only really hit the mark if you're a multi-millionaire). HKG T1 and the SIN terminals are also much loved by me in some regards, but I find them to be significantly worse in others - particularly with regards to the security arrangements (SIN T1, 2 and 3, and HKG), immigration and emigration experience (HKG and increasingly SIN), and the distances you have to travel to get to the gates (HKG and sometimes SIN).
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.