Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Avios / TP credit for Gold Upgrades via travel agents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Avios / TP credit for Gold Upgrades via travel agents

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I guess the bright side here is that it will make earning GGL much harder for many people, therefore reducing the number of GGL members. This, in turn, should allow BA to offer a more appropriate level of membership to the people spending the most money with the airline.
Will it? I mean, even on a SYD fare the most additional points are going to be 300 (assuming J-F usage) return?

To get the 2xGUF1 vouchers you need to be hitting 3500 anyway, which isn't exactly scraping requalification.

I dunno, just doesn't seem like it will make that much difference to number of GGLs; or am I missing something?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
That's annoying. Just as I was about to put my first one to good use. Oh well, at least I will still be able to take advantage of the upgrade if not the Avios/TP benefit.

Last edited by JessicaTam; Mar 26, 2019 at 5:06 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Will it? I mean, even on a SYD fare the most additional points are going to be 300 (assuming J-F usage) return?

To get the 2xGUF1 vouchers you need to be hitting 3500 anyway, which isn't exactly scraping requalification.

I dunno, just doesn't seem like it will make that much difference to number of GGLs; or am I missing something?
I think you are right. The bigger impact will be on the more extreme users of GUF's, I have just being doing the calculations for my 2018 year and if my travel patterns are similar in 2019 I will miss out on four GUF1's. (I opt for 2 GUF1's at 7, 8, and 9000TP's.) I will be less likely to use BA if I have to fly CW but would continue to use OW partners (QR/CX) and credit BAEC, whilst using the GUF's I do pick up on BA long haul trips to fly F. It won't be much of a loss to BA as I am firmly in the ex EU bracket.

This move is not unexpected and I am just grateful for the extra TP's and additional GUF's over the last few years. It was a nice bonus while it lasted.
rossmacd and Wozza2404 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: BA GGL

Yes, you are. There are ways to abuse the GUF system and gain many more tier points than paid for, earning far more than just the difference between a lowly J to F return, which this change will stop. The people pushing the system to the limits are those who will lose out most.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey

Yes, you are. There are ways to abuse the GUF system and gain many more tier points than paid for, earning far more than just the difference between a lowly J to F return, which this change will stop. The people pushing the system to the limits are those who will lose out most.
Fair enough. I was unaware that there were shady things going on.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat

It will affect some of us significantly.

on new earning I am set to 9560 Tps, on old earning using all gufs appropriately it would have been more like 11,000 TPs this year...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I admit I have not looked too hard but I have not seen an explicit statement that gold upgrade vouchers used on a revenue booking only earn the TPs and AVIOS for the pre upgraded cabin. On AVIOS upgraded bookings it is clear that the lower TPs are due.

Last edited by Rubecula; Mar 26, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

on new earning I am set to 9560 Tps, on old earning using all gufs appropriately it would have been more like 11,000 TPs this year...
I think you may have accidentally put a 0 at the end of the first nunber...
aks120, haroon145, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I don't think anyone would have been too put out if BA had simply announced the closure of the loophole with effect from now, but to employ teams of people to retrospectively reduce the number of tier-points and avios (that BA had previously advised such customers would be earned) to a lower level, seems unnecessarily mean-spirited.

I have a GUF'd itinerary coming up soon and if the tier points awarded are reduced below those originally advised I will fail to requalify for GGL this year, so I will need to take an extra 160 tier-point EU flight to maintain my status. This is not the end of the world, but had I known this was in the wind, I would have foregone the currently rather dubious pleasure of flying F on BA for ex-ARN flights with QR in J.

Incidentally although my current booking was through a travel agent, a similar booking I made last year through BA GGL line also resulted in me getting tier points and avios based on the upgraded cabin rate. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
.... a similar booking I made last year through BA GGL line also resulted in me getting tier points and avios based on the upgraded cabin rate. Has anyone else experienced this?
Absolutely not. Never has this happened to anyone here!

(some questions are better not asked in a public forum )
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77

Understood, but my comment related to this reducing the number of GGLs. Those people using significant numbers of GUF vouchers as a result of earning them at 7k, 8k, etc. aren't going to be struggling to requalify for GGL; just ending on a lower TP number. And ironically probably earning fewer GUF vouchers.
TonyHancock likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
......I would have foregone the currently rather dubious pleasure of flying F on BA for ex-ARN flights with QR in J.
The reduced number of GUF's will drive me to this outcome, or maybe CX ex OSL for when I can't use a GUF, but the reality is as a cheapskate ex EU type BA won't miss my business.

Understood, but my comment related to this reducing the number of GGLs. Those people using significant numbers of GUF vouchers as a result of earning them at 7k, 8k, etc. aren't going to be struggling to requalify for GGL; just ending on a lower TP number. And ironically probably earning fewer GUF vouchers.
These are my thoughts too. Are there a large number of people, shall we say, "maximising" rather than abusing the TP earn who won't requalify for GGL?

...and you have nailed my position perfectly, I'll finish up missing out on 4 GUF1's, but easily requalify GGL.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer Elite Gold, HHonors Diamond
Pretty sad. Used my voucher a couple of times to HKG/SIN in paid C with all F-benefits, including Avios/TP boost of course.

Thanks a lot for posting this information here as I was about to use one of my GUF2 vouchers in the very near feature for the same destination that would have cost a lot more. It's going to be QR then...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Well this is a little annoying. Is this the sort of PNR note that drops off if one subsequently makes a change to the booking?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by TonyHancock
These are my thoughts too. Are there a large number of people, shall we say, "maximising" rather than abusing the TP earn who won't requalify for GGL?

...and you have nailed my position perfectly, I'll finish up missing out on 4 GUF1's, but easily requalify GGL.
It's an odd one, for sure, but if Filthy Monkey says something has been going on then I 100% accept that's what's happening.

From BA's point of view, however, I could think of a lot of much easier ways of reducing the number of GGLs than this; if that's indeed what they're trying to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.