Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does interlining bags actually work?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Yes, thought so. BUT I will ask in Toronto anyways.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tmac100
I have a premium economy BA flight with my friend going YYZ-LHR. These are 2 different PNRs because of where we flew from (and when) to get to YYZ. We decided to catch a BA flight LHR-CDG a few hours after our first flight from YYZ lands in LHR. This LHR-CDG flight has the same PNR for both of us.

Any chance of checking out bags through to CDG when we check in at YYZ, or will we need to go through passport control twice and customs with our bags at LHR? It would be a lot easier for us to just go thru transfer at LHR. Unfortunately we could not make the YYZ-LHR-CDG bookings on the same PNRs because of personal circumstances.
Just to clarify, you don't need to go through passport control twice, there is only passport control coming in to the UK, not on departing. So your route would be immigration, baggage collection, customs (really nothing tbh and no wait for this unless you are very unlucky and get picked), up to check in, re-check bags, through security to the airside departures area. In fact depending on the number of bags I guess one of you could go landside to re-check bags, whilst the other person followed the normal connection route and stays airside.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:43 am

I just spoke on Skype with a BA agent and he suggested I ask at check-in in YYZ. They apparently have more discretion than BA personnel at the call center who must give "the official party line" - my quotation marks . We will both have to go through the same routing because I doubt that I can check in someone else's bags when they have a different citizenship/passport and a different family name.

The T5 Galleries lounge is sounding like a "necessary" visit after LHR baggage retrieval, check-in and security clearance
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by taylopet
There is some useful information on the technical details in this blog post https://javadude.wordpress.com/2017/...ing-refresher/
I'm glad you posted that. I thought I was going to have to try and summarise how baggage messaging works.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's the landing aircraft operator's responsibility to offload an aircraft, so they would handle that - often using a contracted handling agent such as Swissport. Then the departing operator handles the loading, again it often uses handling agents, and in many cases it could quite easily be the same agent. At NCL, for example, Swissport do 100% of apron handling for all airlines, so if you went Flybe to BA it could be the same person doing both activities, and it's definitely the same company.

The bit in between - swapping loads between aircraft - is the heart of interline agreements, so if two airlines have an interline agreement they agree to swap each other's baggage and to do this requires the use of barcodes using an IATA specified format. This gets invoked when you have through ticketing and so if you had a Flybe ticket from ABZ-NCL then NCL-LHR, then the Flybe agent could print a label through to LHR, Swissport in NCL would recognise the label and should redirect it to the BA service.
Many years ago I redeemed a business award on CO that took me on four legs on four different airlines - CO, DL, VS and AF.

Checked two bags and they arrived with me in Paris. No problems at all. The baggage interline agreements are typically quite effective.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:28 pm

Yup, agreed. Many years ago things were different. In 1972 on a Canadian Pacific DC-8 I flew SYD-YVR with a fueling stop in Nandi and Hawaii. My pack-sack was checked in - with a barreled rifle action and umbrella wrapped in an oilskin. The item was naturally sticking out of the side of the pack-sack. No big deal to anyone on the entire flight. Could not do that now...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I know is that I had a bag checked from BA to VS (one ticket) on GVA-LHR-JFK with a 1h55m connection (T5->T3) that ended up being 2h20 (early arrival from GVA, late departure from LHR, ironically as they were waiting for bags to come from T5), and they still couldn’t get the bag to me on time.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
All I know is that I had a bag checked from BA to VS (one ticket) on GVA-LHR-JFK with a 1h55m connection (T5->T3) that ended up being 2h20 (early arrival from GVA, late departure from LHR, ironically as they were waiting for bags to come from T5), and they still couldn’t get the bag to me on time.
And BA know this and will therefore only carry the risk if on a single ticket. It’s cheaper than making the system morereliable.

Ironically, as other (non-OW) airlines still have extensive interline agreements with BA, if you wanted or needed to fly that routing on separate tickets, Swiss would be more likely to through check baggage than BA, meaning that in my case BA are actually getting less revenue than before this insanely customer-unfriendly step. Low liability and higher profits trump all other considerations.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer

.....Low liability and higher profits trump all other considerations.
This summarizes the REAL purpose of any for-profit business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.