Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cannot book an award ticket between LHR and AMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC

Since Friday I'm trying to get a quote for a reward ticket for the return flight between LHR and AMS, but only get an error "There was a problem with your request, please try again later.
It happens on the number of routes and dates. I thought that waiting until today would help the matter but got no luck. Anyone had such problem? Or is there another way /different form on BA site/ to get the Avios quote for this route?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Reward Flight Finder says the flights are available for those dates:

Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm having no problem seeing availability using the same screen.

The immediate action, if you need to book, may be to do it by phone, explaining that ba.com is giving you an unexpected error when you try.

But you should also ask BAEC to look into whether there's a problem with your account that's preventing you doing this. Have you tried pricing other routes to get a feel for the extent of the problem?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks Globaliser for immediate answer.
So you can see the availability and prices for this route and those dates?

In my case I can choose AMS, but for different dates (I cannot choose AMS even for one-way on any of those dates).
For those dates I get the same error when checking e.g. Lyon - on Friday there were more cities with the same problem cannot find them now....
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Thomas PL
Thanks Globaliser for immediate answer.

In my case I can choose AMS, but for different dates (I cannot choose AMS even for one-way on any of those dates).
For those dates I get the same error when checking e.g. Lyon - on Friday there were more cities with the same problem cannot find them now....
Call BA and make a phone booking. They should waive the charge if the website is not working.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:43 am

I was getting errors booking a RFS itinerary this morning, similar to your screenshot.

GGL line made the booking thankfully.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, indeed. Sorry, I should have been clearer that I can see availability on that route on exactly the dates you've specified. So clearly there is something wrong.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
It also works for me when I try with the same form and parameters as the OP.

I see this error message quite often - it seems to be triggered when you've been bouncing around the availability engine pricing up various things, and I've concluded it's probably something to do with cookies getting confused.

Suggest the old-fashioned remedies might help here : log out then in again; clear your BA cookies; try on another browser, or another device.
Thomas PL and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for answers.

Oxon Flyer tried cookies / different browser even device (BA app on iPhone) - no luck...

Could you please paste me a screenshot of which flights are available for Award booking in ET for this route and dates. Preferably outbound on Saturday morning BA0432 or BA0430 or BA0434, and return on Sunday evening, BA0441 or BA0443.
It's easier for me to call an BA agent when I have something in front of my eyes Thanks in advance
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the assumption that you're BA Gold (as the screenshot and your FT profile suggest):

On Saturday, there's at least 9 V class seats on every LHR-AMS flight. As you probably already know, you will get these for an award seat as a BA Gold, even if X class seats are unavailable.

On Sunday, for AMS-LHR there's V9 on BA423 (0800) and BA429 (1005), and V8 on BA431 (1135). There's then V9 on BA443 (2125) and BA433 (2215). Again, you will get these even if there are no X class seats.
Thomas PL likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks Globaliser, didn't know about the V class being the Gold Award. Is this that case where you need to pay double Avios?
Then again - if I book this V class (when X is unavailable) will they post tier points / avios as per the V booking?
I can look for V class on ExpertFlyer under Flight Availability, is there an option to check also the X class availability?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Globaliser, didn't know about the V class being the Gold Award. Is this that case where you need to pay double Avios?
Then again - if I book this V class (when X is unavailable) will they post tier points / avios as per the V booking?
I can look for V class on ExpertFlyer under Flight Availability, is there an option to check also the X class availability?
If there's no X class, but there is V class, then ba.com should automatically show you and book you into V class at the normal award rate. You should earn nothing for a V class award.

The double Avios (Gold Priority Reward) is a different thing altogether.

If you go to EF and click on "Awards and Upgrades" rather than "Flight Availability", you should be able to check X class availability. However, there are two caveats:-
  1. [*]
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Could you please paste me a screenshot of which flights are available for Award booking in ET for this route and dates. Preferably outbound on Saturday morning BA0432 or BA0430 or BA0434, and return on Sunday evening, BA0441 or BA0443
As available to BA Gold, out Sat 15, back Sun 16 Jun.
Attached Images   
Thomas PL likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
As available to BA Gold, out Sat 15, back Sun 16 Jun.
Just to clarify the way that the V class thing works.

If you ask for 2 seats and there are 2 X class seats, then the website will show "2 left". This is evidently what's being shown for BA432 LHR-AMS.

However, because there are at least 9 V class seats, the "2 left" is slightly misleading. If you were to ask for 3 seats, you would simply be shown that that flight is available because you can actually have 9 seats in one go as a Gold, using V class availability.
Thomas PL likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Special thanks to Oxon Flyer, and Globaliser for helping me with this booking.

I called BA line and nice lady booked for this ticket without any extra fee for doing it over the phone. So as for booking I'm good now, I asked them also to look into the problem with geting the prices for the AMS and LYS routes. They promised to take care of it - will update the thread once I have the answer.

Globaliser, I've never seen the "Awards and Upgrades" button in EF, which is just over "Flight Availability" which I was using..... This time the EF award availability was correct and was exactly the same as the BA agent told me over the phone.

Thanks!
rapidex and Globaliser like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.