Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are your long haul in Y tips (without status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your long haul in Y tips (without status)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I’ve never slept properly in long haul Y bit funnily enough am out for the count on my connections back to EDI.

Id second visiting the galley if you’re restless. Even the worsts of the worst IFE has a reasonably new film I failed to catch at the cinema and then I usually watch another film with a level of cheese I wouldn’t watch on the ground! (Tastes change in the air and I thoroughly enjoyed Ocean’s 8 on a recent jaunt to SFO, not that I would admit it to my IRL pals!)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
This is the sort of counsel that makes FT seem ridiculous or irrelevant to the 95% of the traveling public that survives down the back of the plane. Most flyers manage in economy class; some even look forward to their trips. Come on.

Pay the fee to secure an aisle seat before check-in, walk around the terminal a lot before you board, keep your (secure lace-up) shoes ON for takeoff (and landing), don't eat too much carby, starchy food, don't go overboard with the booze, and bring your own music or audiobooks.

Seven hours is nothing much really. There is no need to gird for the journey like you're planning to swim the Channel.
I do 125,000 miles a year down the back of the plane, I'm plenty qualified to understand how to survive down the back. It was a joke, and also was followed up with some actual advice, climb down off your high horse.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:45 pm

I do have to fly long haul y sometimes, as it's the policy at work. Most of the things I do have already been mentioned but the most important to me is choosing the right flight. Daytime flights are generally pretty easy; watch a couple of films, do a bit of work, read the paper and the flight will be gone in no time. This includes the trips back across the pond from New York out Boston; the daytime flights are pretty easy. Club world and first are a waste of money on those trips overnight as you will get very little sleep anyway. Better to deal with the time difference in the comfort of your own home.

Longer flights are more difficult but again getting an early flight works for me. As long as a bed isn't too far away at the destination.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
And bear in mind that when you arrive at your destination your bank account will typically be around £2,000 healthier than it would have been if you had forked out for what can all too often be a less than stellar experience in the premium cabins.
That was my thought on a full flight from Fiji to Sydney when stuck in row 4000 on economy. I kept thinking of the $ saving.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
My thoughts:

Plenty of podcasts and audio books
Kindle
Water. I swear by my folding bottle
Snacks
Noise cancelling headphones
Long sleeve tshirt like an icebreaker in case the cabin is chilly (highly variable between roasting and chilly)
All in a small bag or pouch leaving bigger bag overhead
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I really think I could get through the day without knowing.
some very reasonable fares to Greece for anyone still curious
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:37 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by rontse
I’ve been travelling in CW/F with the family for the last few trips, but will be travelling in Y on my own back to HK.

Booked the A380s flight and chosen seat 25D, I’m hoping the extra space will make the flight more comfortable.

Does anyone know if I can put something on the floor area as a foot rest during flight? Also, is it ok to ask cabin crew to get me a headset and slippers from WTP? I’m BA silver if that makes any different.

Thanks.
No, nothing on the floor the entire flight in 25D - that's the crew escape hatch, and they need to be able to get out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.