BA A319 economy class is too tight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
BA A319 economy class is too tight

Hi all,

I flew on BA from LHR-BSL and the economy class seat is too tight. It was so horrible! I hurts with my knees. I have a bad knees. I need your help to put me in premium economy class on my way back to PHX by next Monday morning. I need more legroom. I need more space. I dislike to sit in economy class. I will give my confirmation number on PM.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all,

I flew on BA from LHR-BSL and the economy class seat is too tight. It was so horrible! I hurts with my knees. I have a bad knees. I need your help to put me in premium economy class on my way back to PHX by next Monday morning. I need more legroom. I need more space. I dislike to sit in economy class. I will give my confirmation number on PM.
There is no premium economy BSL-LHR. CE has the same legroom as Y.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I doubt that you are flying in an airbus A319 to PHX, and they certainly don't have premium economy seating.

Probably going to be a 747. Confirmation number won't help, but a stash of cash should get you there.
Spanish likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by antichef
I doubt that you are flying in an airbus A319 to PHX, and they certainly don't have premium economy seating.

Probably going to be a 747
Right! 747 had it, too. Do they think I can put me in premium economy class from LHR-PHX?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Someone else will need to check the PHX exact configuration since I don't have my usual connectivity - but I can promise you that so long as it isn't a 787 you will have a much more comfortable seat on your next service. But BA may sell you an upgrade at the airport. I think you will be OK in World Traveller but don't forget to stretch your legs from time to time.

[FTers, sensitive and sensible and supportive posts are all good!]
JDiver, aztimm, PETER01 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
just ask for an upgrade and pay the price (or upgrade using avios etc if available). Usually works.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Someone else will need to check the PHX exact configuration since I don't have my usual connectivity - but I can promise you that so long as it isn't a 787 you will have a much more comfortable seat on your next service. But BA may sell you an upgrade at the airport. I think you will be OK in World Traveller but don't forget to stretch your legs from time to time.

[FTers, sensitive and sensible and supportive posts are all good!]
PHX is a Mid-J 747 route.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all,

Oh that's an easy one, don't like economy, pay for something else, either in cash or (if available) avios.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The a319 is actually quite roomy in Y and has not been densified like the current a320/a321 fleet. The new a320neo or a321neos are also quite dense. If the op finds Y in the a319 too tight I would recommend avoiding ba short haul altogether in future.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
The a319 is actually quite roomy in Y and has not been densified like the current a320/a321 fleet. The new a320neo or a321neos are also quite dense. If the op finds Y in the a319 too tight I would recommend avoiding ba short haul altogether in future.
Or flying economy class in general.

P.S. Am I the only one who finds the original post utterly bizarre
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by Joely
P.S. Am I the only one who finds the original post utterly bizarre
No
Stez, Keystone, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I thought I once read that N830MH uses various assistance technologies to interact with the forum, which could explain the slightly odd syntax and question. My apologies if that is not correct, but worth bearing in mind as a possibility.

I read the question that they have completed a short haul flight and found economy very uncomfortable. They are now very worried about an upcoming long haul flight in economy as they think the seat will be the same only sitting in it for much longer.

As corporate-wage-slave says, there is more room in long haul economy on the 747 so N830MH may well be OK on that basis.

Last edited by BertieBadger; Mar 8, 2019 at 8:23 am Reason: Fix grammar
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
N830MH ,
Do you have a seat number for your flight to PHX? In that aircraft the improvements that World Traveler Plus will give you is not enormous compared to the rest of the fleet
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Could the OP not upgrade to CE on their return leg from BSL, either via a POUG or... do BSL offer paid upgrades at the airport? Whilst CE is the same legroom for most rows, row 1 maybe available but also with no one in the middle seat its therefore possible to sit at an angle with your legs more stretched out than usual.

As for the LHR - PHX, you also upgrade using cash (if its available online or at LHR) or I'm sure someone will recommend a seat in Y.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:37 am

The only way to get slightly more legroom LHR-BSL is to book economy and get an emergency exit row. Without status that's tricky. Getting an aisle seat and sticking your legs out is all you can do otherwise. Or maybe lock yourself in the toilet for an hour?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.