Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does cancelling an award ticket, automatically open up the space?

Old Mar 4, 19, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR, Bonvoy Gold

I will likely have to cancel an upcoming (55 days out) trip to Bali with the wife. It's unfortunate but it is what it is.

That said; will cancelling the award tickets automatically open up the space for someone else to book with Avios?

If so, I figured I may as well try to make some lemonade with said lemons and see if someone has been trying to find the seats I'm currently holding so I can coordinate with them.
Old Mar 4, 19, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

No it does not. Sorry

Regards
Tbs
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
I don't believe that there is any guarantee that a cancelled award ticket will go back into award inventory, unfortunately. I'm sure there have been threads about this in the past.
Old Mar 4, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
You definitely cannot rely on the seats being made available again.
Old Mar 4, 19, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi.

No it does not. Sorry

Regards
Tbs
Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:23 am

It *can* do, though. Thereís certainly no harm in letting someone who may be interested know if youíre about to cancel. But itís probably not worth a lot of time finding said someone.
Old Mar 5, 19, 2:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The only time I know where it tends to work - namely cancelling an existing reservation to create space for someone else - is when the cancellation is very soon after initial booking. So it's quite common for Avios bookings to be cancelled or moved within the first 24 hours (loads of scenarios, but a lot connected with "what if" bookings, unable to get time off work, mistakes, making several bookings at -355 days just in case, GGL 72 hour holds expiring) then these do tend to come back. If it's a lightly loaded service by historical trends and some way to departure then that can also create space. But generally, it doesn't happen - and in any case you sometimes need to roll over a midnight calculation period to generate the new redemption options.
Old Mar 5, 19, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
I posted a while back in the rugby World Cup thread that due to a change in plans, I was cancelling 2 x HND-LHR in J (I wanted to give people a heads-up as redemptions over this period are thin in the ground). Purely for my own interest, I checked before I cancelled - no availability; and I checked a short while after cancelling - the 2 seats were available again. So it definitely can happen; donít know if the fact that these were the 2 guaranteed J seats released 1 year out made any difference.
Old Mar 5, 19, 5:31 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
I've always wondered does the practice of avios rich members booking reward flights far in advance to hold flights they think they may want and then cancelling them at a later date for a small fee, with those seats then not being released back into reward availability have a significant impact on general reward availability especially on popular routes?
I'm not saying this is in any way wrong of people to do, they are after all just taking advantage of the system as it stands (which I would likely do also if avios rich). But should the cancellation fee be higher to minimise this practice (if it is causing low availability) or is this too much of another negative to add to the avios system?

Not that I'm suggesting the OP's case is like this I'm sure its a cancellation for more legitimate reasons.
Old Mar 5, 19, 5:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mccartje View Post
I'm not saying this is in any way wrong of people to do, they are after all just taking advantage of the system as it stands (which I would likely do also if avios rich). But should the cancellation fee be higher to minimise this practice (if it is causing low availability) or is this too much of another negative to add to the avios system?
The fee was introduced to GCH members in 2014, to much ranting expressions of concern as shown in the thread below. But it was for this reason.

BAEC changes: Gold award change/cancel fees introduced
Old Mar 5, 19, 5:54 am

Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The fee was introduced to GCH members in 2014, to much ranting expressions of concern as shown in the thread below. But it was for this reason.

BAEC changes: Gold award change/cancel fees introduced
I knew the topic was surely on here somewhere just couldn't find it! Wow 87 pages worth of opinions....should probably keep mine to myself so, lest I open up that can of worms again.
Old Mar 5, 19, 6:01 am

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
Two weeks ago I had the experience of releasing two seats (as part of a, "cancel and rebook," scenario) and the seats were automatically assigned to a much higher fare bucket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: