Search

Avios - spend or save?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Avios - spend or save?

Hi

what do you all tend to do with Avios? Do you save and hoard? Save and then use? Save until you have just enough for a trip?

I’ve got about 700,000 and wondered if I should keep on saving or use them? I have some GUF1 and GUF2, and also an AMEX Companion Voucher, so I guess I could benefit from combining? The vouchers obviously have a shelf life.

I’ve no pressing desire to spend, I just wondered if I was being daft building up a stash.

Jim
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I spend usually on shorthaul redemptions or UUA on longhaul, but I never allow my balance to go under 6 figures
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Spend if you want/need to and dont if you dont would be what most would say I assume.

Other thoughts are that (1) you do have the risk of devaluation with avios of and (2) its pointless having them if you dont use them

Personally I earn and burn but like to have a mimimum of 400k in avios to guarantee two lumpy 241 redemptions.
T8191 and Oaxaca like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our travel patterns and earning lead to a completely affordable 2-4-1 and the occasional Avios abatement on s/h trips. Not sure we suffer from an excess of Avios, but we have plenty from flying and Amex spend ... to the point that we don’t really think about it.

Getting on for 0.5m in the HHA, but they will be used ... usefully!

Can’t use too many, though, or Gold renewal becomes difficult!

Last edited by T8191; Mar 3, 2019 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I’m just getting over that number! 700,000 wow.

im chuffed to BT’s to have 125,000 to try and get a decent 2-4-1 trip done.

Get out there and spend my friend
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:33 am

Best to kept a small sum ready in case of emergencies such as 500k (meaning you can go pretty much anywhere needed at very short notice - availability permitting). Anything over that I try to spend, but the opportunities are few and far between.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Bit of both tbh, save, hoard then spend ! Spent around 600k in the last few years; two F trips, a CE, a WT>WT+ upgrade and a 2 week car hire too. Still have around 400k in the HHA, and am planning on spending some of them next year. Well, spend this year for travel next year. I wouldn't like my balance to go under six figures, but like everyone else, my stash was affected by a de-valuation a few years back.
Get spending them I say ! Some, at least. There is always availability somewhere..............
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:46 pm

Same as chris1922Mk2 although I don't like parting with them easily so depends how expensive cash flights are plus we use them for hotel stays. Trouble is once you start this hobby you hear of people with millions and you think that's a LOT!! But they reduce really quickly once you start spending them. IMHO hoard if you don't have an immediate use for them.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Best to kept a small sum ready in case of emergencies such as 500k (meaning you can go pretty much anywhere needed at very short notice - availability permitting). Anything over that I try to spend, but the opportunities are few and far between.
I think it's the availability that is the crux of the problem! Wishful thinking anywhere!
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by nivsy
I think it's the availability that is the crux of the problem! Wishful thinking anywhere!
Not sure I agree - for the 2 locations where I would be and with the potential need to get back to Europe ("home" base) would be from North America or South East Asia/North Asia. There is usually always something from North America or South East Asia/North Asia to somewhere in Europe in J or F, that would get me back for a family emergency in a timely fashion.

It helps that I am incredibly flexible and can take creative routings, and can pick up cheap connecting flights to where I need to be very easily.

Edit: Taking a very quick cursory glance at the BA redemption finder, I can easily get a J flight from several parts of the world tomorrow (and that is purely on BA metal - there will be more availability on OW carriers).
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by rossmacd; Mar 3, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep a float of about 300K for emergencies/MFU/short haul RFS and an annual 241 and spend the rest. Airline FFP changes only ever result in devaluations of their fiat currency - even if there are some tweaks to soften the blow.

I imagine a revenue based scheme will land at BA someday and it won’t be good news...
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Mar 3, 2019 at 1:18 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The issue is surely flexibility?

If you need to go from A to B on a certain date, options can indeed be limited. With an open mind, and complete flexibity, tne World is largely open to you. My challenge for this week, as it happens!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Originally Posted by sunshinebob

Personally I earn and burn but like to have a mimimum of 400k in avios to guarantee two lumpy 241 redemptions.
This is exactly the strategy I use.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Surprising number of answers that involve "hoarding" Avios IMO, at least running a high balance. Sooner or later we're going to see "dynamic pricing", and that's not likely to be good news for premium cabin travel.

There's no need to waste your miles unnecessarily, but for any itinerary where you can spend Avios well, you should... You can always buy Avios later if you need them.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Believe me, I want to spend the six figure sum of Avios I've had for years but circumstances have prevented me from doing so.

However, as soon as I can I'll blow the bleedin' lot all in one go!!
noddie09 and Crofton138 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.