Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Paid for 12J on a 744. Being moved to 17J in 5 minutes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Confirmed

BA says it's the same. FT suggests otherwise. What do I do?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:41 am

Sit in 17J and then claim your seat reservation fee back afterwards.

(Sorry to be flippant. I know it sucks.)
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Sit in 17J and then claim your seat reservation fee back afterwards.

(Sorry to be flippant. I know it sucks.)
I was going to do exactly this. Do I have a case? Is it just an email?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by SKRan
Sometimes it's automatic but I'd just chat with the CSM so they have the option to put in a claim through the iPad, and who knows, maybe get some Avios for the inconvenience. They may also tell you which seats are available to move to.
HIDDY and HMPS like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Happened the same thing on my way to SIN. My carefully selected window seat with direct aisle access on the A380 booked months in advance was gone and replaced with an aisle seat, basically half way into the galley...

I was "lucky" the new seat was so dirty I could take some pics and send them to BA, together with the report that despite ordering the express meal I was served last in the cabin. I got 7k avios as compensation...(no money back as I did not pay to reserve my seat).
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Their T&Cs are quite clear on it, a refund is due.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-es...sandconditions

The emphasis is mine, but you don't have to accept any argument about it being equivalent. I'm feeling fairly certain that your satisfaction will be far from complete....

Changes to seats
  • On British Airways marketed and operated flights, you may change your seat at any time, and pay the difference in price where applicable. If you change your seat to one of a lower price, we will not refund the difference. You cannot make changes to your paid seating on flights marketed by other carriers.
  • We cannot guarantee a paid seat request as we may need to change it for operational, safety or security reasons, even after boarding the aircraft.
  • In the event that we have to change your seat we will endeavour to seat you in a suitable alternative. We will look to seat your party together in the first instance, and then if possible in your choice of window seat, middle seat or aisle seat. If you have paid for an exit row seat we will look to seat you in another exit row seat. If you are not completely satisfied with your replacement seat you can apply for a refund.
  • Seats are not transferable to any other passengers.
If you don't do it via the iPad (didn't know you could tbh, good to know!) there's a form here: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/webforms/public/en_es?eId=120001&wfpId=seating_claim_form

You can do it up to 14 days after the last flight in your itinerary. The logic for doing it after is (I presume) if you do it before they can boot you out your new selection to something even worse!
HMPS likes this.

Last edited by BertieBadger; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:17 am Reason: Updated with info from CIHY
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why has it be changed, is there a configuration change or maybe an upgrade?
And no we do not have a way of refunding the reservation fee, the customer has to do this themselves.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger

The emphasis is mine, but you don't have to accept any argument about it being equivalent. I'm feeling fairly certain that your satisfaction will be far from complete....

If you don't do it via the iPad (didn't know you could tbh, good to know!) there's a form here: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...ing_claim_form

You can do it up to 14 days after the last flight in your itinerary. The logic for doing it after is (I presume) if you do it before they can boot you out your new selection to something even worse!
Thank you for digging this out. And I like your strategy. I was being worried of being put into the middle seat (this is BA115 so many people may have status). At least I am likely to be in a main deck J seat on a 744, for free, if I get refunded.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger

If you don't do it via the iPad (didn't know you could tbh, good to know!) there's a form here: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...ing_claim_form

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why has it be changed, is there a configuration change or maybe an upgrade?
And no we do not have a way of refunding the reservation fee, the customer has to do this themselves.
from 12J to 17J I wouldn’t call it an ‘upgrade’. Maybe an ‘enhancement’
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No I thought maybe that you were in WT plus and on the mid J aircraft 12J is a plus seat and moved into 17J in CW, are you sure there wasn’t an aircraft change?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:16 am

Yes it would be good to know if there is any information as to why the change.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Yes it would be good to know if there is any information as to why the change.
For future reference how and to whom does one approach at BA ?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
For future reference how and to whom does one approach at BA ?
Wouldn't you just ask the Purser/CSD on board?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
No I thought maybe that you were in WT plus and on the mid J aircraft 12J is a plus seat and moved into 17J in CW, are you sure there wasn’t an aircraft change?
It's a 744. I was ticketed in CW.
I guess a Gold has booked 12K so I had to be bumped out.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It's a 744. I was ticketed in CW.
I guess a Gold has booked 12K so I had to be bumped out.
if you had 12j selected already you would not be moved just because a gold selected 12k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.