Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The Achilles' Heel of the New CW: Beverages

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Achilles' Heel of the New CW: Beverages

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:38 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by XLB
And since a walk is good for health, heading to the galley with an empty glass always end up with me returning with a full one. Now if only I didn't have to climb over someone's legs....
Totally agree with this bit, given CW's current layout. It's one thing bussing my own tray, but having passengers clamour over someone else (in the dark sometimes) with a tray of stuff is asking for trouble.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
When I first started travelling in CW I was so surprised that you had to climb over other passenger's legs that I didn't actually believe it... that they could charge so much money and you still didn't have direct access to the aisle was absurd. The more I travel in CW the more absurd it is given the offerings from other airlines. So much so that I am seriously considering actively NOT flying on BA metal. That is sad IMO.
Silver Fox and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
I am shocked that nobody responded to the signal from OP's call button. Both as to a refill and as to having his tray cleared.
I had this when the new service was introduced to HKG, I was just given a sparkling water with my meal which I didn't request and no offer of any wine, I gave up pressing the call bell in the end, the only time I've eaten the BA on board beef without any wine :O
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:20 am

On a recent CW flight we didn't get a drinks run (although I saw the nuts laid out so the other cabin must have). I asked for peppermint tea when asked what drink I wanted with dinner, it didn't arrive, I asked again at the end of the meal and was told that there was non on board. No alternative offered. So an entire flight with 1 glass of water. No other offers of drinks to either my husband or 1- so I offer for the entire flight.
HMPS, OneworldHarj and dubistokay like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You obviously don't fly BA often to be shocked by this. IME, the call bell was generally ignored in both J & F.
I have also had my call bell actively ignored in CW on more than one occasion. I was quite surprised by this when it first happened but it seems to be not uncommon, unfortunately.
dubistokay likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You obviously don't fly BA often to be shocked by this. IME, the call bell was generally ignored in both J & F.
I may be unfairly making assumptions, but I think that often1’s “surprise” was actually a thinly-veiled criticism of the OP’s unwillingness to use the call button (given - I think - the OP’s point was that they expected proactive service rather than needing to push the call button), rather than an actual expression of surprise.

I happen to agree strongly with the OP, inasmuch as I think service is objectively well below par in a J cabin if the only way to get a drinks refill or (even worse) to have a tray cleared is to push the button.

A cynic might even say that some of the less enthusiastic crew rely on the natural tendency of people (particularly Brits) not to be “difficult”, and have worked out that if they do the absolute bare minimum (or less), a lot of customers won’t do anything to try to make them do more.
HMPS, rickg523 and dubistokay like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm going to defend the crew here to some extent. One of the issues, as I mentioned earlier, is that BA is trying to achieve a full hand run service (drinks & food) whilst only providing sufficient crew to achieve a trolley run service. If they want a "trolley free" service to succeed then they would have needed to increase crewing levels for CW at the time they introduced the new service approach, I don't recall that happening. It's no surprise that things get missed/forgotten.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JimEddie
I'm going to defend the crew here to some extent. One of the issues, as I mentioned earlier, is that BA is trying to achieve a full hand run service (drinks & food) whilst only providing sufficient crew to achieve a trolley run service. If they want a "trolley free" service to succeed then they would have needed to increase crewing levels for CW at the time they introduced the new service approach, I don't recall that happening. It's no surprise that things get missed/forgotten.
I’m inclined to agree. I flew CW yesterday in a full cabin on the 788 and the higher staff-passenger ratio vis-a-vis other aircraft types on which I have recently travelled made the delivery of a timely service much more achieveable. I was never without a drink and everything was proactively offered.

In fact the MF crew were excellent, from the moment of boarding until disembarking, and well dones have been submitted. And against all previous experience and expectations the food out of Jo’burg was actually pretty decent.

It’s a good - and for me increasingly rare - feeling to get off a BA flight feeling positive about the experience. Now I am back off to Heathrow for another flight. Let’s hope I don’t come back to earth with a bump. ��
Seat 1K likes this.

Last edited by BA235; Feb 26, 2019 at 4:25 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
CW service is very poor indeed. On my way to Singapore I asked for an express meal and was served last...

In all honesty, I think the problem is not with the crew per se (I find BA staff to be overall very polite and helpful) but the the passenger to staff ratio and the service process. I agree a tray would probably solve some of these issues and make life easier for the crew as well.

On top ups I frankly prefer to be proactive and ask, rather than having my water tumbler abruptly filled with champagne by AA crew.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Struggling to recall having this issue (not doubting the OP - just stating that I haven't experienced it). My most recent flight back from JFK on a 777 I ordered an express main and the cheese, which was served on one tray. I had a glass of wine offered when it was served, then it was topped up, then the chap was standing there holding a bottle of port after clearing my main plate, and then the scotch came out. All in under an hour. I slept rather well.

Looking back most of my other flights have been UD recently, so perhaps that plays a part in better service.

That said, there have been occasions in 1A on the 747 where I found myself completely ignored, including the call bell. To the point where I had to go back to the cabin to have a word. Service was much improved after that.

I don't know if I'm suffering from a degree of Stockholm Syndrome or if I'm just more casual about it - but if they're not coming to me, I've got no issue getting up and going to them. I only ever have to get up once.
MSPeconomist and HMPS like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by Buzzz
I've really tried to give this new CW a chance, and I assumed that during the teething stage there would be some tweaks. It's been a year now, and there's one thing that hasn't changed in the new CW but it must. I consume 75% of my meal with empty glasses on my tray. Wine and water preferences are indicated when the food order is placed, which are dutifully served all together on a tray that is placed in front of me by an attendant who will never, ever return until it's time to clear it all away. I've had a dozen flights in CW in the past year, and have never one time had my water topped up, much less a second glass of wine.

I just flew RT to Johannesburg with SkyTeam in biz, KLM down and Air France back. After a year in the new CW, I couldn't help but admire the bountiful carts filled with wonderful things that were rolled up and down the aisles by calm FAs who weren't scurrying in and out of the galley with individual dishes for individual customers. Most importantly: my glasses were refilled repeatedly.

In the old CW, I used to enjoy a brandy after dessert. On my CW flight to Beijing last week, I sat staring at my finished tray for a full hour and a quarter before they switched out the lights. I finally carried my own tray to the galley to abandon it there. It makes those SkyTeam carts seem very attractive.

This is so totally true. Flew CW twice in the last year, and i was gagging for a drink- didnt get my first glass of wine until I was about done with my main. Had to beg for another. It was terrible. I thought they had changed the service since the roll out? I hope they do as I have a flight coming up in a month.
dubistokay likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by abc193
I have found that a polite "please may I have a top up of X" usually works.

You would think so? I did, but it didnt work. I asked nicely 3 times before I got a second. Husband didnt get his first til I got my second as he wanted white and they were only carrying red when they served me.
RJD1983 and dubistokay like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by abc193
Agreed you shouldn't have to ring the bell to have your tray cleared away after that amount of time - that is not acceptable. I've found times for this to be slightly worse when sitting in window seats (which I usually do), so hopefully this will change once the new seats are introduced.

In terms of drinks/refills, perhaps I've been lucky or you have been unlucky, but I do find that the crew ask if I would "like anything else" when serving the next course or clearing away.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the restaurant analogy fits here, as the purpose of going to restaurant is to be served food, whereas BA gets us from A to B. As far as I'm concerned, the crew's primary job is to get us from A to B in a safe manner. I would say the issue here is more akin to having (say) a junior suite at a nice hotel and the minibar not being properly restocked, thus requiring a call down to the reception. Not exactly ideal, but also not a deal breaker.
Its a deal breaker when you call for restock twice, and get nothing so have to go down yourself.

which is what happened here (and for me).
HMPS, nancypants and dubistokay like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by amanx
This is so totally true. Flew CW twice in the last year, and i was gagging for a drink- didnt get my first glass of wine until I was about done with my main. Had to beg for another. It was terrible. I thought they had changed the service since the roll out? I hope they do as I have a flight coming up in a month.
They’ve changed the service since its launch to the extent that they’ve got rid of the display trollies that the crew hated assembling and operating and replaced them with a hand-run service (ie everything gets brought out by hand from the galley). This accounts for a lot of the complaints about slow and erratic service. Note that some crews
are better than others and the type
of aircraft and/or your
position in the cabin can lessen or exacerbate the flaws in the service standards.

Personally, I wish they’d just go back to the good/bad old days of the dreaded ‘bone-shaker’ trolley and have done with it.

The other - enduring- change is that the food quality is much improved, even from outstations which one had once given up on i.e. JNB.
JimEddie likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Originally Posted by JimEddie
and THIS is why i only fly UD on the 747s - best service and sleep possible!! i am so going to miss the Queen when she's gone... please oh please order some 748s!!
flygirl68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.