Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines with Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Malaysia Airlines with Avios?

I have about 70,000 Avios. I'd like to try MAS new A350 in F (from LHR-KUL) but is there any way to use my points to make it cheaper?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No. Part pay with avios isn't available on partner flights.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No. Part pay with avios isn't available on partner flights.
Actually, pricing options are available on partner awards, including MH.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I misread the part pay section in the spending avios wiki as it being only available on BA&AA flights

Your itinerary must not include flights operated or marketed by carriers other than BA and AA;
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
is MAS F worth spending a bit more then BA F? The seats do look more private but hows the service/food? Noticed their food service doesn't include cheese + chocolates.

Last edited by GodAtum; Dec 31, 2017 at 9:02 am
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GodAtum
is MAS F worth spending a bit more then BA F? The seats do look more private but hows the service/food? Noticed their food service doesn't include cheese + chocolates.
But I would expect it to include their signature satay starters which lots of people rave about.
windchaser777, rapidex and Gerbs like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Don’t know about F but the satay in J is lush!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:01 am

The satay in F is the same as in J. It's available on most J flights, including a short hop between KUL and Langkawi I did earlier this year.

The only time I've flown in F on MH was the A380 and while the seats were a bit worn and tired, they were huge and comfortable. The service was easily better than BA in my limited experience; there were only two cabin crew for the cabin, but there were only 5 of us in there.

The food in general is pretty much the same in F as in J. The Malaysian dishes are better than the western ones.

You might also want to check out the MH forum, not just for this, but because AFAIK they are refurbishing the lounges at KUL.
mrow likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I misread the part pay section in the spending avios wiki as it being only available on BA&AA flights
You weren't misreading but are confused. You're talking about 'cash & avios', whereas this is 'miles & money'. The latter requires redemption availability, whereas the former does not, i.e. it's just a discount on a cash fare, and as such is limited to certain tickets where BA chooses to offer it. In this case, BA offers the ability to pay slightly fewer avios for a redemption in return for voluntarily paying additional 'charges'.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ppp909

The only time I've flown in F on MH was the A380 and while the seats were a bit worn and tired, they were huge and comfortable. The service was easily better than BA in my limited experience; there were only two cabin crew for the cabin, but there were only 5 of us in there.

The food in general is pretty much the same in F as in J. The Malaysian dishes are better than the western ones.

I’d echo your comments on the A380 F open suites, based on my MH flights from LHR out to KL and back (in May) : dated in appearance / style, but very comfortable and acres of space. Good service from an attentive crew, who only had only four pax to look after on the way out ; and a grand total of just one (me) on the return to UK.

My own impression was that F food options are in fact more varied and extensive than in J, according to what I saw on the Chef-on-Call pre-order menu listings (for one meal, I chose baked lobster but don’t think (?) it would have been offered in J).

Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I’ve had six recent F segments on MH, all on the A380, and all on Avios plus payment. I quite like it. The crews are very friendly, and the cabins reasonable. The seat is a good size, but is not especially private. The two loos are small, and look like a bit of a prefab afterthought from the outside!

The food’s OK but not really that special, but I do give extra points for caviar, but one point off for not providing a caviar spoon! It’s dine anytime, The wine selection is quite limited, with Comtes de Champagne Champagne, two whites, two reds and port. The wines tends to be old world. You get a large red bag with bits and pieces for your journey on boarding. No booze on the aircraft while on the ground :-(

The lounge at T4 is OK but small and a little tatty. It’s split into biz and F lounges but share the same bar, and both overlook the apron. You can usually see the awaiting MH A380 from the J lounge and the bar. The staff there are friendly and attentive. Cocktails are a bit of a crap shoot, while they do them you’re never quite sure what you’re going to get. There is a small buffet in the F section, with some a la carte options too.

Some good news: there’s hardly any walking to do between the lounge and the plane. They do manage boarding reasonably well at LHR, with F typically having its own jetway. One one occasion when I have been the only pax in F, that jetway turned out to be just for me (oh and the ground staff, Grrrr!). At KUL boarding’s not so great as there is an uncontrolled free-for-all security check at the gate followed by another wait.

There is/was an F lounge at KUL, but the main MH satellite lounge complex at KUL is being refurbed at the moment, I don’t know if that includes the F platinum lounge, or what alternatives are being offered. There is a CX lounge in the satellite but it’s not going to be big enough!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I willl also add that if it fits the way you roll, availability in F quite often opens up in the last few days prior to the flight departure. It is a very risky strategy, of course, but all of my F trips were done last minute in this way.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:05 pm

I wine t to KUL on the MH A380 and it was great. Sadly, on the way back I was Ill (nothing to do with MH) so could not enjoy the KUL lounge very much or the flight. At least if you don’t feel well it’s so much better in F!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:55 pm

I last did MAS F a couple of years back, on the A380 from KUL to LHR. The food was virtually identical to biz class and was ok, nothing special. Seat was good, I was the only person in F and had a window seat made up as my sleeping seat while I ate, drank and watched movies in the seat next to it. KUL F lounge was nothing special to me but I am not a lounge conisseur I try to arrive at the airport as late as possible. I did note there was a smoking section in there and the staff were super great about keeping me informed when the flight had a minor delay.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Howard Long
The food’s OK but not really that special, but I do give extra points for caviar, but one point off for not providing a caviar spoon!
I hadn't really thought about that, but now you mention it, I do remember having to deal with it with a fork. How unrefined :-)

Originally Posted by Howard Long
The lounge at T4 is OK but small and a little tatty. It’s split into biz and F lounges but share the same bar, and both overlook the apron.
If you're in J or F you can use the QR lounge. To be honest I've never used the MH lounge, because I knew this and I've used the QR lounge plenty of times. I won't be he only person on this board to recommend it - great food, good wine, small and comfortable. Not too blingy. It's right next to the A380 gates too.

One other thing I'd say about the A380 is the F seats feel like you're in a bed when they're flat. The J seats feel like a flat aircraft seat, and not a particularly comfortable one. More space than BA J but less comfortable. BA F also feels like a flat aircraft seat, albeit with more space. The MH A380 F seats are a big step up.

The A350 seats look like a J seat with a big shelf alongside. Personally I see that as a waste of space. Unless there's a mattress stowed under that shelf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.