Wiki Posts
Search

Can’t upgrade using avios

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Can’t upgrade using avios

Hi guys, I have purchased a ticket in WT+ from a Travel Agent with the aim to upgrade to CW using avios.

When I try to do it online it shows me the price £53.10 and 30000 avios to do it (one way) I go to the payment page, enter my card details and then when I proceed it says I cannot complete I must call the BA centre.

So I’ve called the BA centre, tried to do it on the phone and they can’t do it either. The agent on the phone says it special fare even though it’s a T class ticket and they can’t see how much I’ve paid? Has anyone else encountered this? In future how do I know if I’m purchasing a special fare, I was only aware to look at the class fare which is T and IS upgradable.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
In future, book direct through BA.com to ensure that all WT+ fares can be upgrade. Apart from Y upgraded to W, all WT+ fares are upgradeable. Are you on a 125 ticket ?
djtriggz likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Yes I can confirm I’m on a 125 ticket.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I had this happen to me 2-3 years ago - just the same with the website offering it and showing the price, but always unable to complete the transaction.

My recollection is that the agent on the phone simply had to persist and get help from someone more senior. She basically decided that it was wrong that it wouldn't do it and that she was going to find out why and fix it for me. As a result, I did manage to get the upgrade with just one phone call, but it took a while.

I would guess this happens when something about the reservation and the ticket are out of sync.
djtriggz likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by djtriggz
Yes I can confirm I’m on a 125 ticket.
Did you buy from a travel agent because it was significantly cheaper than BA.com? Or was (e.g.) it a work related booking via the company travel agent?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Done some further digging and found out they have issued me with a BT ticket! Had no idea from the TA site that they would have done this. Learnt something new! Next month will book with BA direct to stop this from happening and use my UUA then!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by djtriggz
Done some further digging and found out they have issued me with a BT ticket! Had no idea from the TA site that they would have done this. Learnt something new! Next month will book with BA direct to stop this from happening and use my UUA then!
Yes, that would explain it. To use UuA a ticket needs to be reissued and that requires the information on fares, taxes, charges and so on all to be present. If it is a BT fare, which is a special ticket with special pricing, this is deliberately non visible since it would be down to the commercial deal with the ticket broker. So when it comes to be reissued it just won't compute and attempts to reissue will end in error. And yes, these OTA sites tend to be somewhat opaque as to what the ticket is. If the fare looks a lot lower than ITA Matrix (etc) then it's probably BT / IT / Consolidated. There is sometimes a note on the travel agency site which says something like "we may need to move you to a different flight time at ticket confirmation", that's a bit of a clue since the ticket broker would be trying to coalesce sales to particular flights. So the advice I would give on OTA is only buy if you get your details into the ticket 101% correctly, checking, double and triple checking; and only do it if you are 110% sure to travel precisely as booked.

Still presumably it was a bargain so you still have that. But otherwise it falls into the category of being "cheap for a reason".
anniegray likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:36 am

Let me guess, AMEX Travel?

If so then call them and say they are disgrace and to reissue the ticket as a published fare as you are trying to upgrade it. With any luck they will ask your for an extra pound and do it.

There is is no mention that these are special fares when you book on their site and are making a massive markup by selling these super cheap tickets at close to the same price as BA does.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:51 am

About 5yrs ago there was a massive coding loophole in ba.com that allowed you to get around this problem with BT style tickets purchased from travel agents. Following all the instructions and clicking the correct boxes used to result in the same errors but I happened to click on a photo advertising the upgrade opportunity one day at the point where you select upgrade for cash/upgrade using avios instead of the actual option. It was a genuine mouse fumble but it bypassed me past the error screen I'd otherwise have been getting and confirmed the upgrade I wanted. Managed to use this a few times on WTP-CW. Not sure the opportunity even still there with the most recent overhaul in ba.com but it might be worth clicking around the initial upgrade screen for any hidden hyperlinks that bypass the error message.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
Let me guess, AMEX Travel?

If so then call them and say they are disgrace and to reissue the ticket as a published fare as you are trying to upgrade it. With any luck they will ask your for an extra pound and do it.

There is is no mention that these are special fares when you book on their site and are making a massive markup by selling these super cheap tickets at close to the same price as BA does.
The massive markup you refer to is in the region of 3-4% on the base fare before tax so hardly massive. However I completely agree with you, there should be be clear warnings advising you this is a special fare. Years ago they burned a few customers with similar DL special fares that while booking into a recognised booking class weren't actually eligible for tier status or to receive any miles.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by charlieboy77
The massive markup you refer to is in the region of 3-4% on the base fare before tax so hardly massive. However I completely agree with you, there should be be clear warnings advising you this is a special fare. Years ago they burned a few customers with similar DL special fares that while booking into a recognised booking class weren't actually eligible for tier status or to receive any miles.
I booked a TP run through Amex to take advantage of the £200 back offer on my card. It is shown as "business promo (BIZPROMO)" so I suspect it may be one of their special fares. It is showing with full Avios and TPs in MMB – can I trust this or is there a risk I may not get them after all?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by jfallesen
I booked a TP run through Amex to take advantage of the £200 back offer on my card. It is shown as "business promo (BIZPROMO)" so I suspect it may be one of their special fares. It is showing with full Avios and TPs in MMB – can I trust this or is there a risk I may not get them after all?
BA awards Tier Points and Avios no matter what the cost of the fare.

It's only UUA that causes an issue if the travel agent doesn't not provide the fare and taxes on the ticket as BA then can't calculate the taxes if they dont know how much you have already paid.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
... calculate the taxes ...
Taxes, fees, and charges if you please; Huge increase in taxes and fees?

TFCs are always visible on a ticket; it’s the fare that may be hidden.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:38 am

Actually it isn't and that is whats stops BA from letting you upgrade using Avios. If you are upgrading a cabin then they need to know how much you paid in taxes so that they can calculate the new taxes (this has been told to me on many occasions).

Fare has nothing to do with it in this case.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Sorry, I must admit my ignorance, but what's a BT fare? (And what does BT stand for?)
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.