Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huge increase in taxes and fees?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Prospero
to be fair (okay and a bit pedantic too ), the OP isn't speaking to the public. S/he is amongst friends here. If you don't wish to go through the booking process, you can get a full breakdown on the taxes, fees, and surcharges via the ITA matrix
I understand what you are saying. Other than FTers (not all) how many people know what Ita Matrix is. I have no proof of statastics but most people when they see the word TAXES, shrug thier shoulders, mumble and pay up thinking it is inevitable and somehow the Govt is profiting !
I would sooner see a breakdown right in front of you for transparency's sake. BEsides with scarcity of award seats one is afraid to switch screens to dive into ITA lest the space will be gone by the time they return.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
IME the majority of agents use the term “taxes” and I have the clear impression that most of those honestly believe that’s what the charges are.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
First, then I find the £650 palatable - in J I think it’s far too much and won’t use Rewards for J anymore. I’m a cheapskate Traveller and work trips around exEU deals and rarely pay more then £1,000-1,100
Can I be reminded or linked to rationale behind the BA costs on redemption being relatively high ex UK compared to say that of AA ex UK...on an award booking? 😊
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nivsy
Can I be reminded or linked to rationale behind the BA costs on redemption being relatively high ex UK compared to say that of AA ex UK...on an award booking? 😊
Which is why BA referring to these surcharges as taxes, even as a short-hand method of dealing with a caller, is so insidious. A reasonable person might well presume that taxes are taxes. But, if described as BA's own fees, one might check around a bit only to find that one may fly for a lot less on AA.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
IME the majority of agents use the term “taxes” and I have the clear impression that most of those honestly believe that’s what the charges are.
I don’t believe that at all.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

I don’t believe that at all.
It's more that agents don't consider where the money is going (tax to a government, charge to an airport, surcharge to the airline) - it's all part of the total price that they have little to no control over.

It doesn't help that the major GDSs (Amadeus, Travelport, Sabre) STILL abbreviate the individual amounts as TAX on agents screens even when it really should be TFC as I mentioned a few posts back.

So no, agents don't 'believe' that YQ goes to the government, but they don't seem to understand that calling it a tax isn't correct.

It's just so very easy to do.

It's sort of like calling all cola drinks 'Coke' - it isn't right, and it has legal implications, but people do it without thinking about it.
Blueboys999 and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by JAXBA

So no, agents don't 'believe' that YQ goes to the government, but they don't seem to understand that calling it a tax isn't correct.
Yes, that describes my views rather better than the way I expressed them. I don't believe agents are consciously misleading callers, more a case of what you and another poster have referred to as "shorthand" for what is actually a multi facetted charge..
JAXBA likes this.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Feb 14, 2019 at 11:46 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:33 am
Original Poster

To be fair I know that most of the money goes directly to BA and mea culpa I was being lazy referring to them as taxes and fees. For me getting two first class returns for less than £2k inc. BA’s fees, Amex card fee and buying top up Avios is well worth it. I have friends who are not so airline savvy (and who don’t want advice) that will pay about that for two economy returns!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.