Wiki Posts
Search

Champagne in the lounge and onboard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Bluesky30
Ok so seeing as I am not bothered about any of the shops in the main terminal it sounds like the best bet is to go straight to the B lounge and if I can walk between B and A and C that is even better. Roughly how long would it take to walk between them? I’m a speed walker ;-)

Does the B lounge have everything that the others have? As I don’t get to go in a BA lounge very often I just want to make sure I make the most of the opportunity

thanks for all the replies
Have a look at the Guide:
LHR Terminal 5 passageways - a pictorial guide for departing passengers
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
That’s really helpful, thanks
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
One thing to mention if you do use the A lounges is that you really have to try and spot the table clearers and get to them before they scoot to request champagne. They really don't seem to regard it as their job and to be fair they are clearing a lot a very large area.

So B gates all the way, and to simplify just walk to wherever. Transit takes as long as you wait, it gets in, it waits and heads on its way. It's always a nice experience too, a little bit of quiet in the tunnels below after all that hussle and bussle above.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
don't think about it - go straight to B. Generally, though the gate is not posted, at check in - they will have a tentative gate. The walk back from B to A via the tunnel is a slightly surreal 15 min walk, and the people mover to C is only from one platform and therefore only alternate people movers.

its a great lounge, more space, less kids, tranquil and worth avoiding the hell of the North and South Galleries

just do it!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:54 pm

If you're in one of the A lounges (and as pointed out, there's no reason to be) order 2 glasses of champagne. The staff are excellent at avoiding eye contact, have zero pro activity and dreadfully slow at bringing said champagne.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by worldtrav
If you're in one of the A lounges (and as pointed out, there's no reason to be) order 2 glasses of champagne. The staff are excellent at avoiding eye contact, have zero pro activity and dreadfully slow at bringing said champagne.
I've always found that when you order a glass they bring two regardless.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I much prefer the B lounge, it a great lounge with good staff and a better chance of getting a spa session than in the A lounges. Head there through the tunnels (in the lift hit the button for the bottom level) and you'll probably beat the train. The only negative for some people is that there's no runway view, I do find watching the landings or take offs from the North lounge therapeutic before a long flight. If that doesn't bother you then there's really no downside to the B lounge.

In addition, it can be hard to locate a staff member sometimes for a refill, don't feel shy about going to the kitchen door and asking someone directly, they're more than happy to help and it will be quicker.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm surprised by the time estimates given here of 10 minutes or 15 minutes. It's more like 5 minutes to walk between A and B, and the same to walk between B and C (it's basically the same distance again). Add a little to this if you prefer to saunter.

If it really did take 10-15 minutes to walk each section of this, nobody would ever recommend walking from the C gates to immigration at the end of the flight to avoid the delay that can be caused by using the transit, or suggest that it can sometimes be faster to walk (which it can be).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC
There is a travelator going in the A->B->C direction, so really less than 10 mins from the B lounge to any C gate by foot. Going back to A is therefore marginally longer, but not by much. The tunnels are pretty boring, so it can seem like it's taking forever, but reality is that it's not a long distance.

If you really want a spa treatment, ask as soon at you get to the lounge. If they say they're full, ask them to check the other lounge. Invariably if I ask in the Galleries South lounge, they'll say they're full, but there'll be a space in the B lounge.

At your first staff interaction point (be it check in/lounge/wherever), ask what the planned gate will be. 99% of the time they will give you the gate info before it is officially published, with the disclaimer that it could change, so check the screens (which you should be doing anyway). If it's A10 (bus) it's less likely to change though (as the plane will be on a remote stand), so that would be the only reason really to just stick to the A lounge.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
There is a travelator going in the A->B->C direction, so really less than 10 mins from the B lounge to any C gate by foot. Going back to A is therefore marginally longer, but not by much. The tunnels are pretty boring, so it can seem like it's taking forever, but reality is that it's not a long distance.

If you really want a spa treatment, ask as soon at you get to the lounge. If they say they're full, ask them to check the other lounge. Invariably if I ask in the Galleries South lounge, they'll say they're full, but there'll be a space in the B lounge.

At your first staff interaction point (be it check in/lounge/wherever), ask what the planned gate will be. 99% of the time they will give you the gate info before it is officially published, with the disclaimer that it could change, so check the screens (which you should be doing anyway). If it's A10 (bus) it's less likely to change though (as the plane will be on a remote stand), so that would be the only reason really to just stick to the A lounge.
thanks so much for all the info here and from other people. Flying in clubworld and going in the lounge is a huge treat for me, I know for a lot of people on here it’s the usual way of travel for them so I must admit I felt a bit stupid to begin with asking if I could have champagne but everyone has been so helpful with replies. I’m hoping to thoroughly make the most of the whole experience both in the lounge and on board and will make sure I ask for 2 glasses of champagne from the lounge staff ;-)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'm surprised by the time estimates given here of 10 minutes or 15 minutes. It's more like 5 minutes to walk between A and B, and the same to walk between B and C (it's basically the same distance again). Add a little to this if you prefer to saunter.

If it really did take 10-15 minutes to walk each section of this, nobody would ever recommend walking from the C gates to immigration at the end of the flight to avoid the delay that can be caused by using the transit, or suggest that it can sometimes be faster to walk (which it can be).
I'm going to time myself next time B lounge to gate X :-)

10 minutes is conservative B to A, but for a first timer better to over estimate rather than underestimate

Last edited by Soupdragon62; Feb 14, 2019 at 9:20 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
I'm going to time myself next time B lounge to gate X :-)
The timings are in the passageway thread, but it's 16 minutes from CCR to C66 via the passageway, so anything involving B is going to be less, perhaps much less, than that.

It is all quite simple really - leave the lounge about 40 minutes before advertised departure - any T5 lounge - and you should make your flight with a brisk walk. Add a few minutes if you are supervising cost centres or spousal units.
icebird likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
It is all quite simple really - leave the lounge about 40 minutes before advertised departure - any T5 lounge - and you should make your flight with a brisk walk. Add a few minutes if you are supervising cost centres or spousal units.

Nail, head.
acucobol likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I don’t think it’s fair to ask the clearing staff for champagne. They have their work cut out doing the clearing.
I was very amused, given this point of view, to watch two ladies brusquely ask a clearer, in T5 A lounge, for champagne. Said clearer returned with said champagne and handed them over still wearing his “clearing” gloves!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by AKGAZ
I don’t think it’s fair to ask the clearing staff for champagne. They have their work cut out doing the clearing.
I was very amused, given this point of view, to watch two ladies brusquely ask a clearer, in T5 A lounge, for champagne. Said clearer returned with said champagne and handed them over still wearing his “clearing” gloves!
So who exactly do you ask? The lounge dragons? These are the only staff out in the lounge apart from the ones coming out to refill the slop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.