Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cold soup, no cheese biscuits and tatty plane on Orlando flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cold soup, no cheese biscuits and tatty plane on Orlando flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by firstlight
Catalogue of disasters on 777 g-viip yesterday.

Saw soup on CW menu, thought great - but it was cold! (and not meant to be). Fortunately being in row 1 meant they were able to reheat it in the oven before it got served to anyone else.

The plane is 6 months out from refit but had a couple of issues - most worryingly exposed mains wiring to the broken power socket. I insisted they put an engineering report in.

First experience of this lgw crew with new club world experience was very hard for them, 3 crew constantly running back and forth. Eventually they brought up help from other cabins.

They also apparently searched the entire plane for biscuits for cheese. I also overheard galley gossip about reduced loading of champagne meaning they had to reduce serving size.

I was visited by both the csd and the captain to apologise. The soup is supposed to be loaded hot in flasks. Apparently the 777 refits in Singapore have multiple quality issues and the work might be switched to cardiff.

Moral of the story:
Poor training of cabin crew with new systems
Issues with maintenance and refits
penny pinching cost cutting
poor ground service

Saved by crew who value customer service.
Captain came out to apologize for cold soup ? Surely a first ?
cruisr, firstlight and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
Captain came out to apologize for cold soup ? Surely a first ?
At least when the next BA survey comes out you can appraise the clarity of communication from the pilots...
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:32 am

Another original poster bashing thread for someone having the audacity to highlight a few BA service failures that are sadly all too common nowadays.

The sarcasm and unfunny comments are tedious.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:41 am

Unless others on the flight complained, BA will probably thank you for your feedback, offer Avios and then file it. What counts for BA is pursuing the cost cutting strategy, including in Premium cabins and in driving down staff costs. I’m surprised you had 3 crew serving and bet Willie Walsh and Alex Cruz have a vision for reducing that further! Self service buffet trials to start shortly .....
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
BA needs more balance over this kind of thing - shoddy looking planes with cold soup in Club as a one off is a mild annoyance but the frequency of complaints with the two main TA airlines pushing hard cost cutting (AA and BA) vs Delta/Virgin is pretty noticeable. AA is considerably ahead of BA in the aggressive cuts they've made to everything and have already cut themselves to making 1/3 the profit of Delta despite carrying more passengers. This BA strategy is sure working in the short term but if I had to predict I'd see profits fall as they have to sell more and more premium seats at a discount.

I do sleep better in CW than the old 1-2-1 seats on AA/Delta [some of which aren't set to be retired/refitted by the looks of things] etc (eg AA from Man-Phi) but in other ways they're better (smaller cabin/better service routinely, but not always/more private seats for solo travellers without legs to climb over etc but we all make our call on priorities there and come to different conclusions so I know others will feel the other way). I find the CW seat more comfortable in more positions so don't mind the lack of storage/space/whatever some people hate.

BUT it gets to the point where you try another couple of airlines - I'm flying Delta more, Virgin Upper for the first time, Korean was quite magical out East... and so on. And have had no issues/found things better mostly. Now ofc that's a tiny sample but when you combine it with the fact I used to be Gold on BA and look nowhere else, and the fact that nobody else is complaining as much as AA/BA passengers are these days in premium cabins there must be more folks like me. And the experiences so far have made me more of a 'free agent' than BA abandoner but... eventually who knows how much BA flying I'll do instead of every TA trip and every connecting/internal flight with their OW partner AA it's now 20-30%.

I'm also much more price sensitive with BA. I will happily snap up a discount CW flight for 1450 return but I'd NEVER pay full price for it if I miss that window. Not too long ago I used to love flying CW and wasn't automatically switching to another airline whenever I needed to book 'closer to the travel date' and prices were therefore up at 3,500 or whatever.

Aggressive cuts to quality and service fail really hard because they fail the same way business process reengineering failed (a management consulting fad from a few decades ago) - you strip everything out and profits artificially spike until all the damage beds in and things collapse and it's virtually impossible to turn it back around. I hope BA finds some balance before they go too far with some of this stuff.

To be fair to BA though they do have to bear in mind the competitive landscape. Some of the mainland competitors run some pretty weird business configurations and interesting service/temperature conditions (Lufthansa I do not like much so far) so combined with having to connect... one might still regard even the current CW ahead of a lot of choices (especially if one found, for example, a super old AA seat from MAN prohibitively uncomfortable for good sleep vs myself who finds it mildly uncomfortable but just about able to sleep on it).
choosethedrew, HMPS and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by passy777
Another original poster bashing thread for someone having the audacity to highlight a few BA service failures that are sadly all too common nowadays.

The sarcasm and unfunny comments are tedious.

Your point here is a very fair one and certainly strikes a cord.

The ‘bashing’, as you put it, has become an unpleasant feature of many threads which serve to report poor inflight experiences ; and it’s a sad reflection on the Forum to see this happen on more than just the odd occasion.

Rather than simply accept evidence that BA premium cabin standards are currently often falling short, some posters prefer to look for ways to trivialise the issues raised, and / or make thinly-veiled criticism of the passenger affected.

The wiring and food-related issues are highlighted in the initial post ; from which it seems to me easy to deduce why the Captain - always of course the most senior representative of the airline on any flight - felt it would be a good thing to take a few minutes away from the flight deck to a) speak personally to the OP about his / her totally legitimate concerns, both as to the electrical wiring and about also other, (none safety-related) points, and b) offer a personal apology with the aim of restoring some faith and goodwill on behalf of BA. And yet the report of this creditable, unsolicited, approach by the Captain was met with a disingenuous, sarcastic reaction in one particular post, which clearly attempts to deflect focus from BA management and service standards to the OP, viz :

Unclear why any of the flight crew became involved though - perhaps you could shed some light? Was there some other disaster pertaining to the way in which the aircraft was being flown that wasn’t to your liking?”

IMHO the tone adopted in the above comment provides a good example of a classic Shoot the Messenger tactic which we see far too often.

IAN-UK, simonsmith, fiona and 25 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
This is only a discussion board, I'm not too worried about a bit of banter. I used the word 'disaster' deliberately tongue in cheek, of course it's all relative in club world. But given our company travel manager rates a Premier card due to flight volume BA need to watch out how they treat their corporate customers. My next flight is now with Norwegian...
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by SteveF
Sounds like a new policy. Cold soup in CW on BA12 last night too.
I'm surprised no-one has been along to highlight the new Gazpacho dish in CW and say how wonderful it all is....
NoY, BA235, mradey and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by redeyedonkey
This BA strategy is sure working in the short term but if I had to predict I'd see profits fall as they have to sell more and more premium seats at a discount.

Aggressive cuts to quality and service fail really hard because they fail the same way business process reengineering failed (a management consulting fad from a few decades ago) - you strip everything out and profits artificially spike until all the damage beds in and things collapse and it's virtually impossible to turn it back around. I hope BA finds some balance before they go too far with some of this stuff.
What do you mean by "short term", though? How many more years of this strategy do we need to endure before disaster ensues? The current BA approach of cutting the costs that don't appear to be essential began long before Alex Cruz started his current job. We've seen the FT warnings of "short-term gain, long-term pain" over and over again since then - yet the airline's collapse has been singularly elusive so far.

One of the things that's notable in today's industry is that the people who make the really important purchasing decisions are not the people who have to experience the poorer quality and poorer service that the cuts have produced. The people who do have to experience those things may complain as much as they like, but they're going to have to continue flying the airline that others have chosen for them. I do sometimes wonder whether that's linked to the vehemence with which those complaints are made here.
HIDDY, Silver Fox, HMPS and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue
It's a nice touch, but the captain visiting to apologise does seem a bit OTT.
HMPS and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
What do you mean by "short term", though? How many more years of this strategy do we need to endure before disaster ensues? The current BA approach of cutting the costs that don't appear to be essential began long before Alex Cruz started his current job. We've seen the FT warnings of "short-term gain, long-term pain" over and over again since then - yet the airline's collapse has been singularly elusive so far.
Agreed - that's why I was careful to balance my post out with the competition note at the end. The cuts will work as long as enough people can see 'some positives' vs plausible alternatives. But if they drive the costs so low that they're only competing on the basis of being 'the cheapest plausible option' relying on companies with that kind of travel policy forcing flyers on that will surely drive profits down at some point.

Anyway as you say they seem to have skirted the line well enough over the years to keep 'most' people satisfied (or forced) enough to fly them so it is working so far... Hopefully they'll continue that as a minimum because if they do they'll at least be 'not too bad' to fly on those cases when it's fiscally prudent for me to do so! And maybe new Club World will be amazing when all the planes have it in 2030 . 'Not too bad' isn't really what I'm looking for when the price is similar elsewhere but it's definitely good enough for me when it's an amazing deal... it used to be I'd book CW without thinking.

I'm most surprised they aren't hurting heading 'out east' tbh. It seems to be where the most luxurious competition is and given BA's typical pricing there seems to be not even the price incentive to lock in loyalty. Unless some corporates have truly crazy deals of course.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Unless others on the flight complained, BA will probably thank you for your feedback, offer Avios and then file it. What counts for BA is pursuing the cost cutting strategy, including in Premium cabins and in driving down staff costs. I’m surprised you had 3 crew serving and bet Willie Walsh and Alex Cruz have a vision for reducing that further! Self service buffet trials to start shortly .....
Bolding mine.

Shareholders need to propose that senior mangers' bonuses be tied to Satisfaction survey. Otherwise this slow bleeding of CUSTOMERS will continue but by the time the snowball is too large to handle, this team will be retired somewhere nice with a lifetime perk of F travels.
psollitt likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:28 pm

I thought that I had one such problem.

He flew to California, the flight was long.

As a result, served cold dishes, as if they just got out of the freezer.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not scary at all as long as you realised it used industrial power, it was very very useful and got us out of many problems.
I think the BA fit was an Aviation-certified version of the Panasonic 1800W Catering grade microwave, so double the power of most domestic microwave ovens (usually about 900W).

Interesting comment that consideration is being given to the 777 interior refit programme being brought back in-house and done at BAMC.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think BA is missing something here.

They should do soup that is to be served chilled, especially when the flight involves somewhere warm or if they're going to have the cabin too warm.

No hassle of keeping it hot, or heating it.
firstlight and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.