Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skunker
American Airlines, British Airways, and the Port Authority announced a $344 million renovation and refurbishment project at JFK that will result in the relocation of BA from T7 to American's terminal, T8.

Press coverage:
American Airlines and British Airways Announce $344 Million Terminal 8 Expansion at JFK
JFK Airport’s Terminal 8 to Get $344 Million Renovation (subscription may be required)

Link to thread in FlyerTalk AA forum
Print Wikipost

BA to move into T8 at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
which part of the article are you actually referring to? Hard to get excited (or not) if no one knows what you mean,
I think the poster is referring to the remote stands as per my post above also. 4 remote stands supposedly.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold
Well doing the bare minimum seems to be a Doug Parker initiative. What they should realize is that Terminal 8 will be removed from the the two new bigger terminals when they get built and therefore make Terminal 8 a destination in itself.

Therefore why not expand east out from gate 16 as was intended in original design when the terminal was built and then have on the third floor the lounges however they breakit up as Flagship/Oneworld/Ba Galleries run the entire length of concourse B and as an added premium feature you can board the Intl flights from the lounge itself similar to how Emirates has at Terminal 4 and their hub in Dubai.

This will be beneficial and cater to possibly their plan of making JFK more of originating and end destination flying. Though I believe they are making a big mistake making PHL the international hub and connecting hub.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jmoskal
Therefore why not expand east ...
I have a suspicion that the key words that answer this question are in the press release:-
No Port Authority funding is being committed to the Terminal 8 upgrade.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by godfreyb
Read the last part of this article before you get too excited....
https://onemileatatime.com/british-airways-jfk-terminal-8/
He doesn't seem to have his facts right, making assumptions from pictures. The article quoting the NY governor above states - 'a total of 70,400 square feet of added space including 33,000 square feet of public space'

A read of the comments also reveal that the Author seems to have little experience of terminal 8 which is never really busy at all. Its a complete haven of peace compared to T7!
rockflyertalk likes this.

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Feb 8, 2019 at 3:09 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:55 pm

I've only flown through T8 a few times, but indeed the most memorable part is how quiet it is for an airport terminal. Which makes me think that it is very easy to imagine BA just plugging in with some cosmetic improvements. Truthfully I'd much rather see them spend the money on the space itself, including some nice new lounges, than on extra gates that they, at least for now, don't seem to need too badly. If there is a plan to consolidate OW at T8, that becomes a different story, but hard to see that really happening.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I don't quite think given the current T8 status they can handle BA check in, as well as security check area.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:56 pm

I agree, but that part is pretty easy to fix.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:54 pm

Where do international arrivals into the satellite terminal go to reach the main terminal? I’ve noticed an international arrivals corridor at an upper level there so clearly they can arrive there, but there only seems to be one “tunnel” to the main terminal area which is the one used for departures.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jmoskal

This will be beneficial and cater to possibly their plan of making JFK more of originating and end destination flying. Though I believe they are making a big mistake making PHL the international hub and connecting hub.
NY airspace gets pretty complicated (and thus makes your hub less reliable) and AA is the dominant airline at PHL, as opposed to being in third place behind DL and B6 for domestic departures at JFK. There are also slot restrictions at JFK that have to be worked around that don’t exist at PHL. Finally, JFK isn’t really the universally preferred domestic airport for NYC. That’s LGA for a lot of the city, and for some of Manhattan EWR is pretty convenient.

Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CD747
Where do international arrivals into the satellite terminal go to reach the main terminal? I’ve noticed an international arrivals corridor at an upper level there so clearly they can arrive there, but there only seems to be one “tunnel” to the main terminal area which is the one used for departures.
There's a tunnel in the opposite direction that takes you into immigrations and customs
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

NY airspace gets pretty complicated (and thus makes your hub less reliable) and AA is the dominant airline at PHL, as opposed to being in third place behind DL and B6 for domestic departures at JFK. There are also slot restrictions at JFK that have to be worked around that don’t exist at PHL. Finally, JFK isn’t really the universally preferred domestic airport for NYC. That’s LGA for a lot of the city, and for some of Manhattan EWR is pretty convenient.
I haven’t used JFK to transit onto a domestic flight since 2003, preferring PHL or ORD. Does anybody have any data (anecdotal or otherwise) as to how many AA/BA passengers do?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:59 pm

Any thoughts about whether BA will collocate into JFK terminal 7 earlier than originally planned? i.e., this year, given operations are already being run out of T8 at the moment. I would guess no First lounge and no CCR lounges for now, but maybe as time moves on (I don’t remember if they were part of the original plan or not)
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
AS is moving over to T8 from T7 "temporarily" as well. With AA cutting service out of JFK even before the outbreak, I have to think that BA and AS will have enough space and stick around after all of this is done.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Not once flights start to return to normal.

BA have invested a lot in T7 (as required by the lease with the Port Authority) over and above the rent and will want to wring that spend for all they can get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.