Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hold temperatures for checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by rapidex
The most valuable cargo revenue wise is tropical fish.
... dead or alive?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Also, if their are animals travelling in the hold then they might also raise the temp a few degrees to make it more comfortable for them.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
... dead or alive?
Keeping them alive is the challenge.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rapidex
Keeping them alive is the challenge.
Wouldn't the installation of a fish tank in the First cabin be a win-win? An interesting and innovative decorative item for the passengers' viewing pleasure, and guaranteed tropical warmth for the fish.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
Hello,
Probably not strictly for the BA forum - but it's the only forum I really use and I do normally fly with BA (hope this is ok).
I'm hoping to take some special kinds of Japanese sake back from Japan. These particular types are supposed to be kept refrigerated before being opened (at least that is what the knowledge staff in Isetan kept on insisting!)

I'm assuming that the hold temperature is quite cool - but actually I have no idea. I'm only going on the fact that often bags arrive on the baggage carousel quite cool - but perhaps that is only during the winter months. Does anyone know what the temperature would be like on a long flight from Tokyo to London?

Arigato
Assuming the sake is in a fairly normal-shaped bottle, you could try first packing it in one of these, which I discovered during a FT discussion on how to transport wine:

Amazon Amazon

They are made of bubble wrap material inside thick plastic, then the ends seal like ziploc bags and then fold over to seal again with velcro. I have found them excellent for transporting bottles of wine and spirits back as they protect it from blows and also should be watertight in the event of a break - I have not had to test that yet but they are pretty difficult to unseal!

The bubble wrap material should give a helpful layer of insulation, and with them being well-sealed (so no air flow) should keep the cold in if the bottle is cold in the first place. I would then wrap thoroughly in more clothes to add as much insulation as possible and make sure it's in the middle of the suitcase away from the sides. I think that should stay pretty cold even if the suitcase is somewhere warm for some of the journey.

In terms of size/shape, I have managed to get a 1L bottle of Bombay Sapphire in there which is square and fairly fat, but it was a tight fit. They aren't going to fit something *very* short and squat. If there's a box that would have to be packed separately.

There are also inflatable types but they don't seal as well and would need you to take a small pump as well.
Sprodo and Voda_boy like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: Delta, United
The last time I shipped beer it came out of the hold nicely chilled.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Wouldn't the installation of a fish tank in the First cabin be a win-win? An interesting and innovative decorative item for the passengers' viewing pleasure, and guaranteed tropical warmth for the fish.
With the added bonus of a potential source of Sashimi should you fancy a snack during the flight!
TedToToe likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by passy777
With the added bonus of a potential source of Sashimi should you fancy a snack during the flight!
I demand abalone and crayfish to be kept in that fish tank...
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by passy777
These pages would be filled with complaints. BA made me make my own Sashimi, BA made me put my hands in a tank of Piranhas or even "how many Avios do I get for eating the tropical fish instead of the beef which ran out.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:25 am

The hold temperature may vary depending what other cargo is being carried, which could be cold for perishables or warm perhaps for live animals.

Further to previous comments, one of the most interesting challenges I recall was for a tank in the hold for live fish!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If you do go the ice or cold pack route, do check with the airline about appropriate chilling materials allowed because some of them are not. These rules are typically written with sport fishing and hunting in mind (I live in a sport fishing region and common to see people checking coolers of dead fish to take home with them)
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I get melted chocolate on my fingers if I am too slow eating it, so it does melt at approx. 37 degrees centigrade, possibly lower.

Given the Australian baggage handlers' apparent/alleged favourite activities of of leaving suitcases out in the blazing sun, and my suitcases being dark, it's possible that the internal temperature of the suitcase might reach something fairly inhospitable even to Tim Tams

(In fact, they did melt on my previous, identical itinerary, hence the preparation.)
Very surprised. I had 20+ packets of Tim Tams in the non-airconed bedroom I was staying in for a week before I left a couple of years ago. Temps were in the high 30s most days. Survived the flight via HKG, although to be fair it was a midnight departure from BNE. Repeating it next month but going for a few days to MEL and will be departing mid afternoon from there so if there's another heatwave of 45c+ again I may just need to do what you did! I plan to bring back 10kg worth this trip and maybe some Vegemite too as my local supermarket has been out of stock since xmas!!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I confess to knowing nothing of Sake...but I do know that you shouldn't put a slab of bottled beer in the unpressurised, unheated hold in the nose of a small private jet tucked in just above all the avionics.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Qantas, BA gold, SPG gold
I believe the hold temperature is usually 5C. I often travel with bottles of wine in a checked bag and they have never been adversely affected. Also I once compared my experience with a Master of Wine on the same flight; she routinely did this, travelling on various different aircraft, and none of the bottles she packed were harmed at all.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by tinkicker
I confess to knowing nothing of Sake...but I do know that you shouldn't put a slab of bottled beer in the unpressurised, unheated hold in the nose of a small private jet tucked in just above all the avionics.
Owch! 🤭

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.